This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

XT-2 LCD Screen protector

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by howitzer1972, Apr 19, 2018.

1. howitzer1972

howitzer1972 Member

-Return to Top-

Hi,

I purchased my XT-2 used and I'm trying to figure out if it has an LCD screen protector on it. I don't want to damage anything by prying it off and don't want to put another one on if it's already there. Is the LCD screen flush with the flip out panel? Or is there a small lip? Haven't had a chance to go to a store to have a look and not finding any closeup pics when googling. Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about in the pic.

Thanks
    P1020197.JPG

2. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have two X-T2's. Both look the same as your photo. As far as I can tell, there is no removable screen protector on the ones that I have. I don't think the screen protectors are needed.

3. Furlan

Furlan Member

-Return to Top-

I disagree I think it has a screen protector as I am seeing two layers of glass. I have a X-T2 with a protector installed but I make my own from outdated iphone protectors thickness is not as pronounced as yours.
    As far as necessity depends on the user myself large nose oily skin always wiping screen.

4. apsphoto

apsphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree there does not look to be a screen protector.

Alan

5. Roger Rex

Roger Rex Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I have a new X-T2 and after carefully examining the edge/corner with a magnifying glass it does not look the same as yours. The "channel" that runs along the bottom does not exist on my copy (new out of box last week).

6. howitzer1972

howitzer1972 Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks all for the feedback. I was able to borrow a magnifying glass and compared it to pictures on Ken Rockwell's site of all places (highest detailed images I could find). I'm pretty sure mine does have a protector on it, with the magnifying glass it does look like 2 layers. I'm just going leave it as is and not worry about it.

7. cheddar-caveman

cheddar-caveman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My new X-T2 did NOT have a protector on it. It does now!!

I think the fact that your camera was purchased "used", it probably has a protector on it as don't most people do this??

8. LuAnnT

LuAnnT New Member

-Return to Top-

I have a screen protector on my camera. I just checked it and the corners of the protector are rounded and the screen on the camera has square corners. So looking closely I can tell I have one on. If I bought my camera used I could see how it could be challenging to determine this. My protector is glass too so that adds to the dilemma. Hope you got it figured out.

Cheers! LuAnn

9. cheddar-caveman

-Return to Top-

Just put the screen protector on my new X-T2. Would not be without one :)

LuAnnT likes this.
  10. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Back in the early days of digital I used to fit screen protectors but after over 20 years of using cameras with LCDs I haven't bothered for the last few cameras. I can't actually remember a single post on this forum from anybody who has damaged a screen in a way that a protector would have provided any benefit. To my way of thinking they rank alongside UV filters for lens protection as triumphs of FUD (Google "IBM FUD") over practical benefit.

11. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I did put one on my phone, only because my wife had it going spare.
    Phone screen somehow got cracked in my rucksack, think something pressed hard against it.
    When I checked it was only the glass protector screen that had copped it, so might have helped.

With you on camera LCD's though and filters for lenses too, much prefer a hood for protection.

12. LuAnnT

LuAnnT New Member

-Return to Top-

I agree with you 100%, Richard, on the UV filters. Boy, when I first got into photography the camera stores saw me coming. They got me to buy uv protectors for all my lenses. A little nieve I guess—LOL. I did opt for the screen protector on my camera though this time. I have dropped my IPhone several times over the years and the protector cracked but my phone glass did not. Maybe it's just me. I also fell hiking last year on a damp trail up north—gotta watch out for those wet rocks your feet will fly out from underneath ya. For me and the type of camera bag I put my camera in, taking it in and out may over time put scratches on it. But, everyone is different and opinions are all good. This is just my two-cents worth to share.

Have a great day my friends!
    LuAnn

13. cheddar-caveman

-Return to Top-

I always have a protector on the front of my big lens. It has to be repeatedly cleaned from dust and specks and I just take it off and clean it, put it back on. Were it not there I'd be cleaning the lens front glass itself all the time and doing that there is alway risk. It is coated, it can get scratched. I'd rather spend a few pounds to protect it than a thousand to replace it.

crashton and LuAnnT like this.