This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Xe2s viewfinder and screen not very bright eh?

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3' started by mporter, Feb 7, 2018.

1. mporter

mporter New Member

-Return to Top-

I picked up a Xe2s with the OIS 18-55 a month or so ago. Have been shooting it a fair amount, and overall, I'm not terribly impressed. Here's are my 2 main gripes, but they are deal-breakers as far as I can tell: 1) It's damn near impossible to see through the EVF in bright light. It's easier to compose through the live view, but even that's not so easy. I have the screen brightness as bright as it will go. Unless I'm missing something here. Under the exact same light condition, I pull out the old iphone and it's much easier to see. 2) Even when you have the exposure setting on 'average,' the highlights want to blow out. I've read this is an issue, so I'm compensating a -1, so that helps, but in certain conditions, when exposing for the highlights, and dealing the shadows later in photoshop, you damn near can't see the shadows at all in the viewfinder they are so dark. I'm guessing there is a way around my second complaint, but once again, the iphone has this lovely tendancy to compensate for the highlight enough that they are not blown, but you can still see some shadow detail to get a good composure. I'm coming from film, and optical viewfinders, so I find this all irritating beyond belief. Any advice welcome!

2. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

You're talking about blown highlights in the EVF with the brightness set as high as possible?

3. keith jefferies

keith jefferies Member

-Return to Top-

You will probably be happier if you just stay with the iPhone

Goldingd likes this.
  4. mporter

mporter New Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, but it's more an issue of the general brightness of the finder. On a cloudy day, it's great - no issues at all, but in sunshine, it's nearly impossible to see what's happening on the other end! Again, I'm coming from film SLRs, and medium format. You could say, I'm late to the digital scene...by 15 years!

5. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Question, are you placing the camera in manual metering?

6. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don't have the X-E2s but an X-T1, but in bright light I often find myself shielding the viewfinder against the sun with my hand. Which works ok when using small primes, not so well with the XF 50-140!:) And I already have the larger eyepiece which is nonetheless a big improvement over the standard one. But I (kind of) remember having these problems with my film DSLR as well?! (It's been a while!)

As for the blown highlights in the EVF, you may try to increase the Dynamic Range? If you shoot in Full Manual Mode, also make sure to switch the exposure simulation on by selecting SET-UP > SCREEN SET-UP > PREVIEW EXP./WB IN MANUAL MODE to get an accurate representation of the final image in the EVF.

Hope that helps!

7. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Maybe try reducing the finder brightness from the max setting?

Plus as stated in other posts, if you're in manual mode, you might set preview exposure.

8. mporter

mporter New Member

-Return to Top-

Well, I'm not actually sure about that. This might be part of the issue. Can you guide me through this? Let me google here quick.

9. mporter

mporter New Member

-Return to Top-

Precisely what I've been doing, but it's extremely inconvenient!

10. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In the manual. Please login or register to view links

On the camera. Setup Menu, Screen Setup, Preview Exposure in Manual Mode (on or off)

11. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Do you wear glasses and/or live in a crazy-bright part of the globe? I never had a problem with my X-E2 viewfinder in bright ambient conditions, but am not sure if anything changed with the X-E2s. I do really like the extended eyecup on the X-T2 and can only assume that’s due, at least in part, to improved ability to shield the viewfinder from ambient light. Still, even with the X-E2 it was way WAY easier to use the EVF in bright sunlight than the rear LCD, so that observation makes me think something is wrong with your setup.

I’m not sure I understood your comment on exposure and blown highlights - did you mean blown out in terms of their appearance in the EVF, or in terms of the sensor’s dynamic range? Do you use the live histogram in assessing exposure? It is for sure possible to over- or underestimate exposure by dialing the EVF brightness too far up or down, but that’s where the histogram can help you.

Two last questions - are you shooting RAW or JPEG, and if the latter do you have highlight/shadow settings jacked up? This will adjust your JPEG tone curve to make your brights brighter and your darks darker, in both the EVF and the final image. Personally I often have exposure compensation set at +2/3 a lot of the time, so the -1 part also sounds like something isn’t quite right.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  12. mokeiyong

mokeiyong Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Get a baseball cap or fisherman hat!

13. Marty M

Marty M Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not sure if your X-E2s is the same setting wise as my X-T2, but I sometimes find the need to switch between auto brightness on the EVF and manual. Most of the time auto is great, but occasionally in certain conditions it renders a dark dingy viewfinder that doesn't reflect what I'm seeing and trying to meter for, so I switch to manual, which is set to +1 and that gets me temporarily back in the ballpark!

14. pluton

pluton Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I see that you have noticed how dim the EVF is when used in bright surroundings.
    I once measured the brightness of the XE-1 finder. Pointed at a sunlight-illuminated white house-door, and set to full overexposed +2 white-out, it is 13 stops darker than the finder of Nikon D800 with 50mm/1.8 lens attached pointing at the same target.
    My only suggestion is, as others have suggested, to wear a hat. I use the floppy cloth 'boony' hats. Use of the hat is absolutely mandatory in bright sunlight, or even on a cloudy day. Once the sun goes down, the hat gets put away. With XE-1, I found that the highlights blew out, even in playback, on the rear LCD when the brightness was set to a high setting. But...I found that the EVF could have the brightness jacked up (it only goes to +2) w/o ill effect on the EVF image. I just checked my XE-2s and it's the same.

15. mporter

mporter New Member

-Return to Top-

Yea, this is exactly my experience. I think the camera system is just not for me, as of today. The lenses are great, but there are enough quirks, that I just prefer DSLR's.

16. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Please say that you are not wearing polarised lens glasses when you shoot in bright light.
    Maybe the X-Pro series will be better for you as you can use the OVF or EVF as conditions dictate. I know I have resorted to the OVF on my X100s at times in bright shooting conditions and it has made the difference between shooting and hoping and shooting something specific.

Goldingd likes this.
  17. mporter

mporter New Member

-Return to Top-

Yea, I think I would prefer the OVF for sure. No polarised glasses!