This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

xe2 to X-T20?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by joe aka back alley, Mar 16, 2017.

1. joe aka back alley

joe aka back alley Premium Member

-Return to Top-

has anyone gone from using the xe2 to using the X-T20?
    just wondering how the transition was for you and if you think the change was worth it?

2. Primes4ever

Primes4ever Gear Nerd

-Return to Top-

I decided to trade my XT-1 for the XT-20 and I still have my XE-2S. The controls on the XT-20 are similar to the XT-1 and I have no problem switching from the XT series to XE series. The autofocus is faster on the XT-20 and the touch screen is nice for choosing focus points.

As for is it worth it, I like the faster speed and extra crop room. For me it was worth it in replacing my XT-1 with the XT-20, like the smaller size and weight and saved about $800. I will probably replace the XE-2S with an XE-3(if they make one). I still like the XE series for leisurely photography and is a great backup camera for events.

3. Viewfinder

Viewfinder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry: I would never replace my X-T1 by a X-T20. An addition, maybe

4. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I considered the X-T20 as a replacement for the X-E2 we have but won't do that because the eye point isn't working for me with my glasses. The X-E2 has 23mm while the X-T20 has 17.5mm. Eye point is the distance your eye can be from the viewfinder and still see the whole of the viewfinder. My glasses prevent me from getting close enough and I actually like to see the whole EVF. Some people aren't bothered by that, for me it's one of the main criteria I look at when evaluating a viewfinder. It's the main reason that I just recently switched from an X-Pro2 to an X-T2. I hated the X-Pro2 viewfinder.

crashton likes this.
  5. crashton

crashton Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Eye point is important to me also. I had an X-Pro1 & just couldn't get used to the viewfinder. I looked at the XT-10 & didn't like its finder either. I then looked at an XT-1 & it was great. Someday I may upgrade to an XT-2 when I can snag a deal on a used one.

For my money the XT-20 is a great camera if you can use the viewfinder comfortably. If you can look at an XT-20 before you buy.

6. aglightest

aglightest New Member

-Return to Top-

Did the same exact thing, got my X-T20 because of the touchscreen and video. It was rather a replacement for my old x20, a better companion for my trusty old xt1. I'd assume that shifting from xe2 is not that much of a stretch. You'll get along just fine.

7. m8chor

m8chor Member

-Return to Top-

I just traded in my XE-2 for XT-20 few weeks ago.
    I'm not going to spend too much time mentioning all the better stuff of XT-20 since you probably already know.
    (And yes, the camera is pretty much better in every single aspect...)

Let me point of something I miss from my old XE-2.

1. Handling.
    XT-20 give you very little space on for your right hand when holding the camera, especially when you have bigger lens like 23mm f1.4 or 56mm f1.2. However, buying a hand grip MHG-XT10 solves the issues, I recommend you get one right away. (I even have small hand, btw...)
    2. EVF
    The EVF of XT-20 just some how feels less comfortable compared to XE-2, but it's just a matter of getting used to...

8. joe aka back alley

-Return to Top-

i bought an X-T20 over this past weekend. yes, it is smaller than i might prefer but i'll get used to it...usually do anyway. i took a few shots and so far so good. the lens seems to constantly be focussing, at first i thought i had it set to continuos but that was not the case...i need to look through the manual more thoroughly... a grip might help...i'll check for an aftermarket one.

9. m8chor

m8chor Member

-Return to Top-

If you have Pre-AF "Off"
    Constantly focusing might be either your focus mode is on continuous tracking or you have the camera on "auto" dial.

10. joe aka back alley

-Return to Top-

yes, i found the pre-af in the menu and turned it off. seems to have done it...
    nice camera so far...i put the 27 on it and it's downright tiny...also found an old thumb thing and it makes the camera a better fit for my hand...ordered a 3rd party grip last night, should be here in a few weeks (free shipping from china)...

11. m8chor

m8chor Member

-Return to Top-

Nice that you've resolved it.
    Also try the "high performance" mode in power management, I personally find the EVF frame rate and AF speed to be better at a cost of 15% extra battery drain.
    Be careful when putting the grip on, I recommend you put a protection layer between the camera and the grip, there's always a risk that the grip will scratch your camera.

12. joe aka back alley

-Return to Top-

high performance is on, i have extra batteries if needed...i've used grips before and been very impressed with the fit & finish...they usually cradle the bottom of the body very nicely. the little thumb thing is almost enough without the grip.