This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X100F focus question (New user)

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by d4z0mg, Apr 21, 2017.

1. d4z0mg

d4z0mg New Member

-Return to Top-

I just got my X100F yesterday and I'm new to Fuji having previously used a Canon and Nikon DSLR. I was wondering why when I use back button focus the green square in the viewfinder shifts diagonally down the right when it locks in and half pressing the shutter button makes the whole white image frame shift diagonally down the right as well changing the area of the image?

2. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

Its called parallax. You are not looking through then lens like you are with a DSLR so the closer to the subject the more the image recorded shifts from what you see in the viewfinder.
    Try focusing on something a long way away and you will see that the image area does not shift at all and then try focussing on closer and closer subjects ad you will see that the image area changes more each time you get closer to the camera.
    If you don't like it or cannot get used to it use the EVF instead if the OVF.

Gaston likes this.
  3. Shuffles

Shuffles Member

-Return to Top-

Also, if you want to use the OVF up close, try pressing the VF lever to the left and it will pop up a mini EVF in the lower right corner. Get that on your real focus point and the when you half press the shutter you'll see it reflected in the parallax correction box.

You can also press the rear dial to change the zoom of the mini EVF. At least, that's how my X100F is setup.

Otherwise, the full EVF mode is probably best for closeups.

4. SausalitoDog

SausalitoDog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's a great feature, not a bug :)

How many times would you miss focus with a rangefinder because you didn't adjust for parallax...x100f is even better...does the correction for you, shows you where it is, and allows you to flip a switch if you don't trust it. Over time, I think you will come to trust it. I really love using the OVF

5. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

fyi it has nothing specifically to do with back button focussing. This is what the camera will do when using the Optical Viewfinder.

6. khunfred61

khunfred61 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

These links could help you.

FUJIFILM OVF | FOCUSING WITH THE X-PRO 1 AND X100S
    Fuji X100 User's Guide

7. d4z0mg

d4z0mg New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the replies and helpful links.. I definitely prefer the OVF to EVF so I'll get used to it. Shooting landscape/street 90% of the time anyway so I won't notice it as much as I have been whilst testing it out around the house