This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X100F ACROS settings

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by rmcnelly, Jan 9, 2018.

1. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm awaiting delivery of an X100F hoping it lives up to the reviews. My X100 has been gathering dust after I got a Panasonic GX8 (and have acquired a large assortment of native and adapted lenses). The X100 was so slow in general operation, focus, etc., but I loved the image quality.

I switched to shooting RAW only years ago, but am intrigued by the shots people are posting using the Acros film simulation. I found this post describing custom settings, and am interested in any other suggested settings:

Please login or register to view links

Nice to be back on the forum after a long absence.

XFiles likes this.
  2. (c)ow

(c)ow Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I also use + settings for highlights and blacks because I like BW images with high contrast. Up to taste...
    When I decide to shoot BW I go with JPG +RAW and most of the time convert the RAW in LR with a custom preset that uses ACROS (+R/+Y) plus a customer tone curve (S) and high clarity. Often I even lower blacks and raise whites.
    Why not using the excellent JPGs? I guess I like the option to also have the color version and the higher DR.

rmcnelly likes this.
  3. FredGUnn

FredGUnn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have a couple of B&W in-camera presets. One is a high contrast preset very similar to that one with Acros+R, +4 for highlights and blacks. I use -4 for noise reduction though in this preset (if there was an off setting I'd use that), and only +1 on sharpness to get a more film sort of look. I too mostly end up editing RAW in LR with some custom presets though and not using the JPEGs. The shots on that blog look pretty great with their settings though.

rmcnelly likes this.
  4. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks, I'll shoot RAW + JPEG and see how this works.

5. JonPB

JonPB Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I recommend exploring the nuances of every setting available to you. Some photographers decide that one stock setting works for their work, but that same setting would only work for you if you have the same sort of eye for an attractive scene and also desire the same sort of aesthetic final product. The push/pull, highlight, shadow, white balance, and color filter options are all very powerful in achieving the overall look that you want; the sharpening and noise reduction tools are worth looking at in the context of your desired final output. The "best" settings for each image can vary widely depending on the scene, the subject, and the output. Due to all of this variability, I shoot raw even though an in-camera jpeg is my intended output.

I like to use presets for different types of intent. My high contrast settings are very close to Mr. Gateb's (I use lower levels of sharpening and noise reduction because I'm an unapologetic pixel peeper). I also have a low contrast preset (for high contrast scenes in which I want to retain both highlights and shadows), a high tone preset (negative shadow settings), a low tone preset (negative highlight settings), and a neutral preset that is my default. Those custom settings are attached to my rear command dial (X-Pro2) to make it easy to switch between them and preview the differences. While I rarely stick exactly to these presets for my final images, they become the default setting when I develop each image, sort of like having a notepad of how I want to develop and print the film for a particular exposure.

6. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Aye, I can see how the higher DR is important with H and S set to +4. :D:D

I followed the link and the setting seems reasonable. However, this will not be universally useful, you need to find your own set of C-settings. The last point of their setting is "Grain: Off" Well, grain is baked into Acros and you can't turn it off. The grain you can turn on and off is for colour and regular monochrome simulations. It interferes with the Acros grain and you should not turn it on. If you need more grain, shoot higher ISO instead.

rmcnelly likes this.
  7. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

+1
    Aye . . . :D

8. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Premium Member

-Return to Top-

X100F arrived tonight. Much to learn. It took me forever to figure out why the shutter speed was not displayed when shooting Aperture priority (it was in DR400mode). The previous owner bought it in the Spring of last year and it only had 200 shutter counts. Need a new thumb rest, the X100 one presses into the view mode and AEL buttons.

Tried ACROS +R, with H and S set to +2, but will try again with +4. Much prefer the ability to edit the RAW files. These were RAW files with the LrCCC ACROS +R with some S-curve and other tweaks.

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

The Star dog was at iso 3200.

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

Alex Glassman, JamesMc and Kirstybell like this.
  9. (c)ow

(c)ow Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Me don’t use +4 ;)

10. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Shot this morning with ACROS +R, +4 H, +4 S, transferred to iPhone and uploaded without any edits.

Alex Glassman, Arjay, Codda and 4 others like this.
  11. ChiDN

ChiDN Fujiholic Cub Fan

-Return to Top-

Very nice, I'd be happy with that SOOC.

rmcnelly likes this.
  12. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Premium Member

-Return to Top-

X100F RAW at iso 12800 using LrCCC ACROS +R and tone curve.

13. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm really surprised at how useable the above image was at iso 12800.

14. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I had not been following Fuji's updated cameras, and just discovered this post about ACROS:

and this:

15. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I could probably have found all this searching the foum, but here is more:

erniethemilk likes this.
  16. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Shot this morning driving through the parking garage. Quick grab shot while moving.