This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T3 L bracket?

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by Destin, Sep 16, 2018.

1. BillC-PA

BillC-PA Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Given that I'm on a one week photo trip to Acadia, I needed a bottom plate for the X-T3 and purchased the Fuji plate when it became available, just prior to the trip. Of course, I really would like an l-plate for the occasional vertical shot on a tripod, but don't really want to spend a bunch more money (I like RRS) ... I have the Markins M20 ball head, which will go vertical, however, have to be sure head is completely horizontal, which can be tough setting up correct tripod legs, etc. I have a gimbal that works with lens foot ..but looking for something that works with the camera body/lens without the foot..... I did across something I think would work, but can't find it anywhere .. Jobu wide angle lens adapter..
    Please login or register to view links
    Anybody have reasonably priced solutions ....
    Bill+

2. Destin

Destin Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

You can get “off brand” L-Brackets on amazon or eBay for 1/4 to 1/3 of what the RRS costs. In my opinion they aren’t made quite as well, but are great for occasional use.

I pre-ordered an RRS bracket because it will live on my camera.

BillC-PA likes this.
  3. Macad

Macad Active Member

-Return to Top-

I got the ebay L plate. It is very affordable for an all metal construction, with the benefit of the hand grip, without adding too much weight. The edges are smooth. All the doors are fully accessible and the plates provide reasonable protection against bumps. One potential issue I see is that the plate is connected to the body by the 1 screw at the bottom, so if that loosens, the plate could potentially fall out.

Call me intrigued, I am actually quite curious what the cheaper L-plates are missing compared to the RRS. Is it more of an aesthetic thing, or an actual reliability flaw? Am I overlooking something important?

4. Destin

Destin Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I had the eBay bracket for my X-T20. It’s clearly made out of a lower grade aluminum than the RRS product is. The finish on it is less durable. It didn’t have the center mark.

Additionally, the side plate of the bracket frequently came loose even after I added loctite to the threads of the screw. I’m guessing this was due to flex between the two plates.

Also, I didn’t really like the built in grip, but if I removed it it left a piece of metal jutting out the front of the base plate.

5. Macad

Macad Active Member

-Return to Top-

Ooo, I see. Thanks! I guess it probably uses lower grade aluminum and possibly less durable finish. I have not experienced the side plate coming off for the X-T2 and X-T3 versions, but I can see how the protruding part of the lower plate for the grip can be annoying if you remove the grip.

Those are great considerations when deciding between the ebay vs higher end L plates. While I personally find the ebay ones to be of a sufficiently great quality for its price, YMMV.

Destin likes this.
  6. EA-FUJI

EA-FUJI Active Member

-Return to Top-

FYI- Sent an inquiry about the availability of the X-T3 Battery Grip L-Bracket from RRS (BVG-C3EM) and they responded that their "current estimate is to begin fulfilling pre-orders for this item in December." :(

Destin likes this.
  7. PurpleMystic

PurpleMystic New Member

-Return to Top-

RRS has X-T3 L brackets now in stock; my preorder shipped and arrives tomorrow. (I ordered without vertical grip configuration; the X-T2 RRS L bracket will work with X-T3 and its new vertical grip, although perhaps not absolutely perfect door accessibility.)

Spoiled by RRS pricey L-bracket; but happy to finally have; it lives on my camera. (along with also pricey and also just available and shipping lensmateonline.com thumb grip.

blacksheep likes this.
  8. EA-FUJI

EA-FUJI Active Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the update. L bracket for the battery grip is still in pre-order. Hopefully any day now...

9. blacksheep

blacksheep Seeker of Light

-Return to Top-

Glad to know these may be available now. My XT3 feels a bit naked with out the L bracket.

10. PurpleMystic

PurpleMystic New Member

-Return to Top-

TOTALLY get it; really once you go L, you never go nude again, LOL.