This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T2 freezing

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by llevine, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Adrian Japp

Adrian Japp New Member

-Return to Top-

Yep, v2.00.

2. M41gr8tpic

M41gr8tpic New Member

-Return to Top-

v2.0 no lock ups

3. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I will say if this is battery related in the grip as well, I think Fuji goofed and should have just designed a new battery just for the grip. I imagine the rumored ultimate APS-C camera Fuji is working on will do just that, or have an integrated grip and have a much large capacity battery.

4. Adrian Japp

Adrian Japp New Member

-Return to Top-

On Friday, i purposefully dropped the camera into normal power mode (no boost). Same setup as before in all aspects, AF-C, zone focussing, battery grip, auto-ISO, 1/500s.
    Shot a lot of short burst images of a local cycle race. Experienced freezes on about 4 or 5 occasions during the evening.
    Same issue again. All short burst, 5-8 shots at a time, short pause, another 5-8 shots, short pause etc. Typically will freeze after 2-5 of these bursts. Switch off, disconnect battery grip, re-attach, switch on, carry on.
    For longer bursts on their own ( I tried this as an experiment), I didn't experience any lock-ups.

5. leesearlephotography

leesearlephotography Member

-Return to Top-

I think it ould be down to non original batteries in the battery grip. I find it happens when im using copy batteries. I put in the 126a batteries and it doesnt happen.

6. Adrian Japp

Adrian Japp New Member

-Return to Top-

Which I'd be happy with if I were using no-original batteries or even standard NP-W126 batteries rather than the newer NP-W126s batteries which I'm using in the camera and the grip!

7. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's the scenarios I get my freeze. It may not be the initial burst, or even the burst after. It's like fire off about 8 shots, pause, fire off 5, pause, fire 1 and freeze. I have had less freezes since switching to Sandisk, but I also haven't used it in as many scenarios as the Lexar yet.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  8. fugu82

fugu82 Member

-Return to Top-

Similar experiences here. Using 3 126s batteries, boost mode, fast cards. I am pretty sure I was using the Lexar 300x cards, tho I also have Sandisk 280 and 300 cards.

9. Ole

Ole New Member

-Return to Top-

I have had a total of 3 freeze-incidents. So far the conditions have been: No battery grip, original Fuji w126s battery, Lexar 32GB 2000x SD-card, in single shot mode, and the freeze occurred when I reviewed a picture in the EVF.

I have now changed to my older, somewhat slower Sandisk 96mb/s cards I have not had any freezes.

10. slind

slind New Member

-Return to Top-

Changing to your older card has nothing to do with it. I changed card types and manufacturer three times and thought I had found the solution. You are just waiting for it to freeze again. It's a mechanical problem that Fuji claims is related to the cards. I know several people that got their camera back from repair with the exact same problem. It doesn't occur for me in RAW/JPG mode, but instantly in RAW+JPG Backup to both cards in CH and CL. Shot 1750 pics to test it once and thought it was ok, just to have it freeze on me twice in the next 50 shots.

- SanDisk and Lexar cards, UHS-I and UHS-II. Never mixed up, always two identical cards
    - Only W126s batteries. Freezes happening with the grip and without it.
    - Cards are correctly formatted.

This is a hardware issue that Fuji has no idea how to deal with. If they would have, firmware updates would have fixed it by now. It ruins an otherwise awesome camera experience for me to the point where I switched to a X-T20 for professional work (although only one slot) because I can't rely on the X-T2.

11. Morten Mitchell Larød

Morten Mitchell Larød Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Frozen for the first time.
    AF-C, zone focussing, battery grip, auto-ISO, 1/1000, CH.
    2x Lexar 1000x 128Gb
    3x original W126s batteries

12. ErikN

ErikN Active Member

-Return to Top-

I just had 3 freezes in 15 minutes. Mine seem to develop this issue when I have a flash mounted (or in this case, wireless flash triggers). This is problematic

13. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What card are you using?

14. slind

slind New Member

-Return to Top-

I had a talk with the @fujiyguys over Twitter yesterday. They said they'll pass my information along to Fuji engineering.

However, they also said: "This is a general issue with the X-T2 and the root cause has not yet been identified."
    So Fuji doesn't know what's causing this as of now.

15. Adrian Japp

Adrian Japp New Member

-Return to Top-

When I reported this directly to Fujifilm, they were of very little help on this issue unfortunately. Again suggesting that this is an issue with the cards. The response was as follows.

Thank you for contacting FUJIFILM UK.

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing a problem and can confirm, it is possible the camera can lock up if there is a bad sector on any of the memory cards. Thank you for the link, which also appears to be related to various memory cards.

We would suggest testing the camera with another brand of card such as, Toshiba. Format the card in the camera first and test the camera with the card in slot one first, then test with two cards. Please ensure both cards have been formatted in the camera first and also that the firmware for the camera, and the lenses is up to date. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

The Fujifilm X World Team

So, as suggested above by slind, they don't really know what it is causing this yet, and this is a stab in the dark! Not terribly good either to suggest that I go out and spend in excess of £100 worth of new cards for a test!

Since my shoot above, I've had fewer freezes, but I've also been 'shortening' the bursts when shooting live action - working around the problem.

16. ErikN

ErikN Active Member

-Return to Top-

SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s. At the time I had a 128 GB in slot 1 and a 32 GB in slot 2 configured as backup. I usually don't have any issues with my X-T2 but when using flash it seems to lock up.

Jonimages likes this.
  17. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For grins and giggles, I put my x100f battery, the same updated battery as the X-t2, into the left slot of the camera grip. The camera draws power from the left battery first when not in boost mode. Since doing that I have only had one lockup. I have been trying to get lockups and have only had the one incident. Nothing so far on paid gigs. If this keeps up may just go ahead and buy another upgraded battery for the right slot.

When I was in boost mode with Wasabi batteries in the grip, I don't remember ever getting a lockup. I'm assuming it helps that when in boost mode the camera is drawing power from both the body battery and gripped batteries starting on the left side. Most of my lockups tend to be in regular mode, shooting bursts.

18. elisha.jesudason

elisha.jesudason Member

-Return to Top-

Boost mode only draws from one battery at a time in AF-S. The only time simultaneous draw happens is during AF-C. Not sure about 4k recording.

19. Adrian Japp

Adrian Japp New Member

-Return to Top-

Photographed an event last Wednesday evening after the last 2.1 firmware update, using Ch, C-AF, boost mode on, grip attached, 3 S batteries, 2 Lexmark cards installed. Short high speed bursts. No lockups at all. Could be a coincidence with firmware, but that has been e only change since last using it in anger for such an event.

fugu 82-2 likes this.
  20. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I had sent the grip and one of my X-T2 bodies to Fujifilm earlier this year. They checked the camera and the grip and said all was ok. I went to France for a photo shoot in May. The problem again occurred. All was ok with the camera without the grip. I sent both to Fujifilm and they again checked everything out. I went to Iceland in July. When I used the grip the same issues again occurred. Camera would freeze, the EVF would act strange, focusing would be inconsistent. Without the grip all was ok. I sent the camera and grip back to Fujifilm in mid July. Still waiting for their response. Right now I consider that the grip is only good for a paperweight. I am sure that this is not a card or battery issue.