This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T2 - Blurry In Portrait Mode?

Discussion in 'X-T3, X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by XT2_DUDE2, Nov 17, 2018.

1. XT2_DUDE2

XT2_DUDE2 New Member

-Return to Top-

For some reason my X-T2 photos are much more susceptible to shakiness/blurriness when shooting in portrait orientation, as opposed to landscape orientation.

Is this normal, or is there some kind of stabilization setting I can enable to help with this? It almost seems like a tripod is necessary for portrait photos. I have to be extremely steady to get a portrait-oriented photo without any motion blur.

It's only portrait orientation where I notice this issue, though. Landscape photos with my X-T2 are really easy to snap without any motion blur. I guess I must be shaking more when I hold the camera in portrait orientation? I have a pretty steady hand, so this is strange.

2. GregWard

GregWard Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

It might depend on your normal stance when taking landscape orientated photos and whether you are using a battery grip?

The "classic" pose is left hand under the lens, camera pulled firmly towards you (so your face/head stabilises the camera) and your elbows held firmly into your sides. This works fine in landscape orientation and when using a battery grip in portrait orientation. But, without a grip, your right elbow "flaps around" when shooting portraits. That can certainly make portrait style images less stable. But obviously I have no idea if that's the issue here or not?

fujixacros likes this.
  3. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

What shutter speeds are we talking about here?

4. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Test it on a tripod. If there is no difference the degree of blur then the camera is not at fault.

CWRailman, LionSpeed and kcg like this.
  5. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Could you please give some examples of photos, Portrait and Landscape, but all with exifs?

By the way, with which lens ? or focal if it's a zoom.

6. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That is one of the benefits of having a battery grip and one reason why I wish Fuji would go ahead and make an integrated gripped camera with a larger battery.

7. kcg

kcg Premium Member

-Return to Top-

+1 Thisis the best test.

8. XT2_DUDE2

XT2_DUDE2 New Member

-Return to Top-

On a tripod, the blurring issue goes away.

So it seems to be poor automatic stabilization or something. But again, this is only apparent when I shoot in portrait orientation.

9. versesinanelegiacmetre

versesinanelegiacmetre Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The XT2 doesn't have automatic stabilization. It's lens dependant, and you haven't mentioned which lens.

With respect, I suggest it's poor user stabilization.

BillC-PA and charlie3 like this.
  10. XT2_DUDE2

XT2_DUDE2 New Member

-Return to Top-

It's the standard 18-55 lens.

If it's poor user stabilization, why is it only doing this in portrait orientation? I have to be extremely steady to get a portrait-oriented photo without any Please login or register to view links blur. With landscape oriented photos I have no issues.

11. versesinanelegiacmetre

-Return to Top-

See the second post in this thread for a possibility. You may have a different pose when holding the camera in portrait mode. It's not hard to imagine, I certainly hold the camera differently in portrait Vs landscape.

12. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

+1

The position of the hands is not the same, in portrait or in landscape.
    When you hold a camera's body in portrait mode, it seems that only one hand supports the weight. And each hand (elbow and arm) can move independently.

By the way, If you can't or won't post an example, could you please give some EXIFs, like speed ...aperture..etc

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  13. digitalpatriot

digitalpatriot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Just the way you are holding the camera. It's less stable if you have your arm awkardly positioned on top of the camera. Holding a camera normally in landscape provides a more stable foundation. Try shooting in electronic shutter mode to reduce shutter vibration too.

And buy a battery grip. I would not own an XT2 or XT3 without the grip, particularly for portraits. absolute must have if doing any kind of dedicated portrait work.

14. Richard_Reich

Richard_Reich Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Is it possible that the XF18-55 lens has intentionally asymmetric response to motion in the vertical and horizontal dimensions? I have no idea.

15. versesinanelegiacmetre

-Return to Top-

Intentionally design to be blurry in a particular orientation; yes sounds feasible to me :)

They must orientate each circular lens very carefully to get the desired effect.