This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T2 battery grip: useful or annoying?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by tvphoto, Sep 19, 2016.

1. StudioAbe

StudioAbe Member

-Return to Top-

This is the first grip I bought for any of my cameras, based on the same reasons stated above. I shot w/ 16-55 and 56 and it was particularly well balanced with the former (and surprisingly well with latter also). Fitting a gripped X-T2 into a camera bag with the lens still attached becomes a little bit of a hassle - I'm glad I have DSLR sized bag but it does make the bag bloat. By the way, what do people do to protect 'outie' contacts of the battery grip when it is detached from the camera or you are forced to transport the grip separated from the camera? The cap that came with it is perfect but I'm afraid that it'll be a matter of time before it gets lost, just like any of X-T's terminal covers. I try to keep the grip on for most occasions and I leave it home when I know I can manage without it. Any advice for this grip newbie very much appreciated.

2. TheEmrys

TheEmrys Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I just use the cover that came with it. I do like Sony's approach better here, as you sacrifice a battery, but it uses the electronics inside the batter compartment with a cool levering door. I, too, worry about the cover. I wish there was a simple nylon half sleeve/cover that could be used that had a built-in cap.

But in VG Boost mode, it is a simply joyful body to use. Can't wait till my knee replacement heals up a bit so I can go out and play.

3. StudioAbe

StudioAbe Member

-Return to Top-

Probably ideal to transport the grip attached to the camera as it is an awkward shape with the appendage extending to wrap the handgrip - that appendage is actually more likely to bend/break if one is not careful when packing. The size increase is not too bad as X-T2 + battery grip is roughly equivalent to the size of a FF DSLR (5D, D810, etc). I have not bought a mirrorless specific bag since I still use my 5DMkIII and intend to replace with 5DMkIV at some point. However, it was nice to be able to place X-T body with 50-140 attached to it and fit it in the bag without bag getting wider and with room to spare. The bag I refer to is Tenba Cooper 13DSLR - pricy but excellent shoulder bag.

Another nice thing about the grip is that when I shot an event with XT-2 with the battery grip and XT-1 matched with 16-55, 56, and 23 as noted in my previous post, the added weight made the camera feel more steady in my hand and there was much less strain on my arm/shoulder as I did not have to raise it to get portrait shots.

4. tvphoto

tvphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for your post. How do you like the 50-140/X-T2 combo with grip? To me, it feels as large as DSLR territory? Do you not negate mirrorless size/weight advantage at this point?

5. tvphoto

tvphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I used to have the XT1 grip, and did not use much, mainly due to 'bag bloat' as you point out. My normal/daily Fuji shooting bag is the Billingham L2 and it was hard to pack with grip attached. I hate to 'cram' bags, I like easy in and easy out.

Yes, I found it difficult to pack the grip separately (I used bubble wrap to keep it protected, but it was a hassle)...hence my relative lack of use. This is the reason I started this thread in the first place, to try and understand cost/benefit as it relates to X-T2.

6. StudioAbe

StudioAbe Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my previous post: I haven't actually tried placing a gripped X-T2 with 50-140 in the shoulder bag yet, but I have walked around with X-T1 w/o batt. grip and 50-140 and that was what I was referring to in easy-in, easy-out scenario. X-T2 with fully loaded batt.grip and 50-140 is indeed in the DSLR realm on paper, but the actual feel in one's hand is definitely different as the center of gravity and the way the entire assembly sits in one's hands still feels more compact. It is less strenuous for my camera-holding right hand to carry X-T2 + BG + 50-140 than say, 5DMkIII w/ 70-200 f/4 IS L (closest equivalent lens to 50-140).
    My photography business is in two distinct areas: 1. architecture/interiors/landscape and 2. Events (birthdays, bar/bat mitzvahs, etc. but not weddings). For 1, I continue to use Canon since their tilt-shift lenses are indispensable - I've tried Sony A7RII with an adapter but Canon matched with Canon yielded more satisfying results. For 2 and casual everyday/travel, I carry the Fuji. The BG allows me to shoot the entire event without ever worrying about having to change the battery at the crucial moment, and the ability to hold the camera in portrait mode comfortably have already made a positive impact on me. There is also added benefit of being able to charge two batteries at once which is great when I travel. There's no need to wake up in the middle of the night to switch the battery out of the charger or to carry an extra unit. I figure that once I've reached the destination, I could leave the grip in the safe of a hotel during the day and go with the lightweight outfit. For me, the BG's ability to be used as a charger in addition to traditional benefit of having a BG was the factor that led me to invest this time around.
    If you have XF50 f/2, 27mm pancake, or plan on purchasing upcoming 23 f/2, then you could place the gripped camera sideways into the bag without stretching the bag.

7. tvphoto

tvphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the detailed reply, it is very helpful :)

8. F_J_Woods

F_J_Woods Member

-Return to Top-

I should probably let this venerable thread just lie undisturbed. But then how would I be able to croon over this grip? Shot three straight hours of volleyball last night with it (first time use) and thought it was just perfect. It provided an excellent counterbalance to the 55-200, and of course I didn't have to swap out batteries. I kept bursts at 8 fps, but I may try the 11 fps function next time. Seems like a solid piece of equipment. Critical? No. Neat-o? Yes.

9. Lumens

Lumens Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I tend to do a variety of outdoor venues and find the grip very useful. It is not glued to my camera, but added when I know I am going to be shooting a lot of frames and using a lot of juice. If I am just out for a walk and shooting what is of interest the grip is just added weight, but if like last Saturday, I'm out shooting Birds in Flight at 11 frames a second I used the grip and went through two batteries and my second SD card in Sequential mode. This was all in about three hours. It was a true blessing to have.

F_J_Woods likes this.
  10. StudioAbe

StudioAbe Member

-Return to Top-

The grip has not come off my X-T2 for the most part. It is particularly useful when shooting with XF100-400 handheld - beautifully balances the setup and allows firmer right hand grip. If there is one gripe I have, that would be the positioning of AE-L and AF-L buttons on the grip. I'm a back button focuser and to me, the button layout on the grip should be the other way around. My thumb still reaches to the button closer to shutter release button on the grip (that would be AE-L) when shooting in portrait mode after taking shots in landscape mode using the buttons on the camera - where AF-L is the button that is closer to the shutter release button. I have not explored the menu but I don't think there is a way to reverse the functions of AE-L and AF-L buttons on the grip without affecting those on the camera itself, or is there? It's one of those things I tell myself to explore but always end up on the back burner.

F_J_Woods likes this.
  11. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Mine is still in the box from the day I got it, hope to use it one day just to try it out.