This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-E3 previews, reviews and hands-on reports

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3' started by Arjay, Sep 7, 2017.

1. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's pretty much my own observation, too. Also, I find grain, and bokeh nicer in X-T1, when using the same lens and settings. That's why I decided to keep this camera, and use it for macro and portraits. Anything else, X-Pro2. So far, the best camera in the world. But, easily could be better. I'm already looking out for X-Pr03 with organic sensor, and tilty, bigger, better EVF, and manual focus aids.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. guzzi850m2

guzzi850m2 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Maybe, but I been photographing since the 35mm days and I am getting one.

Did you actually try one out? I did yesterday and that convinced me that this is the best upgrade to my XP1 considered that X-T2 & XP2 is overkill for my needs and I need something compact for traveling.

The XE3 fell solid and nice in the hands with the 35mm f1.4, that is one of the bundle options here in Thailand for 1200$, the AF was very good (okay XP1 user, ha-ha) and never missed focus when I played around with it for app 20min.

Sure flip screen would have been nice but there is still the X-T20 with about same specs as XE3, so nice of Fuji to offer 2 options in the budget range for those not willing to shell out on the top models.

I think Fuji make the right decision when designing the XE3, they have to move forward and make something the younger generation appreciates or they might end up like Harley Davidson, sticking to the "good" old V-Twin but their core customers are now getting too old to ride and the young riders don't want them. Okay I know comparing motorbikes with cameras is a bit silly but we are still talking about a product that have to sell in order to be successful.

CWRailman likes this.
  3. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For me, it is way too small camera. That was one of the reasons I sold my X100T. I am a left eye shooter in glasses, so RF style camera is the best for me, and do not know better camera than X-Pro2. I was shooting with X-T1, after a year I was really fed up with poking my fingers to my right eye, smears on glasses, and skin infections on my nose. I had enough, and xpro2 is a big relieve for me. I only with for bigger EVF, and tilty. Without one, I feel handicaped. Lack of tilty criples my creative side.

4. NickMilner

NickMilner Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I'm conflicted about this one. I used to have an X100S but traded up for an XPro2 for "planned" shooting, and a Ricoh GR II for a carry-everywhere-in-my-jeans-pocket camera. The size of the GRII is amazing, and it's very similar to the X100S (APS-C, 16MP, leaf shutter, ND filter...) but there's no viewfinder, and that's the problem. I missed a *fantastic* shot because the settings were wrong and I didn't notice because I couldn't read them on the rear display because of my crap vision. Of course on my X100S I could have glanced at the physical dials and known immediately I was about to screw up a brilliant shot.

So I was considering trading the GRII for an X100F, and then the X-E3 came along. Now I'm not sure what to do. :)

5. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The X-E3 with an FX 27/2.8 cost the same as an X100f...and just as small.

6. NickMilner

-Return to Top-

True, but there's no aperture dial and it's a stop slower. It's certainly something I'm considering though. When I'm out using my XPro2 with the 50-140 f2.8 I could throw my 35f2 on the X-E3 for wider work, and then put the pancake back on for everyday use. It's compelling...

7. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The "missing" aperture dial is a non-issue...just as easy using the Commander Dial.

One stop "slower" is also a non-issue...ISO 3200 is perfectly usable and noise-free; plus...the FX 27/2.8 is a sharper lens. YMMV...of course.

EVIL camera is always better than a fixed lens.

8. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

+1 lack of aperture dial on the 27 is a non-issue.
    The X-E3 with this lens is even smaller than an x100Y.

9. NickMilner

-Return to Top-

But my original challenge (and only reason I want to move away from the Ricoh) was to be able to see and change the settings easily, with my crap vision. I’ll struggle to read the rear screen and although I can get the viewfinder sharp with diopter adjustment it will still mean switching the camera on and holding it up to my eye. With a physical aperture ring I can take it all in at a glance without even switching it on - it’s what attracted me to the Fuji brand in the first place.

Also, I’m not saying the slower glass in the 27mm is a problem - it’s just a bit slower. No biggy.

The X-E3 is edging it at the moment. I’m really liking the flexibility of having both a small X100-factor camera as well as something I can put my other X-series lenses on...

10. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My MO is different...I set auto-ISO [200~3200] and auto-DR, with AE-aperture priority, pick a median aperture and simply shoot for a while.

Unless light condition changes rapidly [for you]...surely you'd remember the last f-stop you picked.

11. NickMilner

-Return to Top-

Most of the time, yes. But this one time on Monday, no. This is my carry-around camera that I have in my pocket all day every day. I might see something interesting (like a ballet dancer in a weirdly lit curved tunnel - seriously trippy), whip it out and get the shot. Or not. :)

12. NickMilner

-Return to Top-

So, I made a decision. The store had both an X-E3 in stock (note to UK readers who are looking for one - there's one at Calumet in Manchester) and an X100F but as soon as I had the X100F in my hands it brought back memories of my X100S that I foolishly traded. And that was it. X100F purchased. :)