This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-E3 or X-T20

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3' started by alexchan, Sep 9, 2017.

1. joe aka back alley

joe aka back alley Premium Member

-Return to Top-

i have not used the back screen much at all...in fact, i often forget it's there.

2. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Curious about the rant - is it primarily the missing buttons that disappoint you? For me it's this and the loss of the tilting flash that are the key absences to regret. Neither of them would be a deal-breaker if I didn't already own the X-T20. I do love me a tilt screen but did not expect one on the X-E3 and I have this on my X-T2 when I need it.

3. m.hermann

m.hermann Member

-Return to Top-

With a vacation coming up later this year I, too, am wondering whether I should upgrade my X-E1 to an X-E3 or X-T20. Being of the long-nosed variety, I don't like looking through the X-T20 viewfinder but would appreciate the tilt screen and HDMI video out. I am leaning towards solving this dilemma by purchasing another lens instead... ;)

4. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Obvious question of course ... but what are you missing in your X-E1? I personally would be happy to use it as a vacation camera.

5. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

I'd guess the AF..
    It's incredibly slow and often unreliable.

Image quality is more appealing than the X-E2, but the AF will render many occasions "missed opportunities"..

6. m.hermann

m.hermann Member

-Return to Top-

Better video, faster autofocus and higher resolution for cropping.
    Marc

7. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, but do you need that for a vacation camera? Knowing what I like to shoot on vacations, a X-Pro1 would be fast enough for me. And I have never made a video with any Fujifilm camera in my whole life.

So without your requirements, it is hard to tell whether you should upgrade. However, if you want better video, faster AF, and higher resolution, then the answer of course is "Yes!".

8. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I mainly use my X-Pro1 as a manual focus camera ... for me that is great for a vacation camera. If I wanted to photograph moving kids or pets, then I probably would get frustrated with the X-E1 as well.

9. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

All these "moving kids" references... As if people only want to shoot kods these days :D

I had serious issues shooting Yoga (a really SLOW sport) even with an X-T10 and in good light, so I definitely encourage to upgrade to an X-T20/X-E3 if you want to take pictures of anything that moves.. :D
    Thinking of street artists, your partner walking down the street, your yoga teacher, animals in the park/zoo, etc.

Fast, reliable AF makes traveling more fun and less hassle.
    I did bring my X-Pro1 to the US, used it for all kinds of things that didn't move and in areas where I feared for my x-t10 with sand and dust in the air.

Pictures were awesome, but in the evening, I had to leave it in the bag when walking around.

10. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think that, especially with the older X-cameras (X-Pro1, X-E1, X100), it is a better strategy to switch to manual focus rapidly than to wait until the AF succeeds (or fails).

11. ChiDN

ChiDN Fujiholic Cub Fan

-Return to Top-

I like the joystick, a lot, but that being said I'm surprised how easy it is to switch to the D-Pad when I shoot my X-E2. Other things are less intuitive on the X-E2 now that I've been shooting the X-T2 for a year and even the X100F for a few months. I'm not surprised by the X-E3 in general but was surprised at the loss of the D-Pad. I'm not big on touch screens. I suspect I'll lust after it just to have as a new toy but this boy leads a dull life and cameras are the only toys that appeal any more so I may succumb but not in short order.

I am immensely fond of and attached to my X-T2, I really am, but enjoy picking up the X100F and even the X-E2 every so often.

rkeifer likes this.
  12. cpu8088

cpu8088 New Member

-Return to Top-

this x-e3 made in china?

13. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Actually, with a really big lens I am always using a tripod, so not supporting anything with my left hand. I am comfortable holding the 55-200 in my left hand, as an example, but not my huge old 400mm full-frame lens, it is too much weight and too high of a magnification to hand-hold.

I can't imagine holding any heavy camera and lens combination by clutching the grip of a camera. With all that leverage pulling down on the rig my right hand would be working too hard for a relaxed touch on the shutter and other controls. With any camera I distribute the weight between both hands and try to keep everything relaxed and fluid. Beyond a certain point a tripod or monopod becomes the only reasonable option.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    averageguy, CWRailman and trainer like this.
  14. palane

palane Member

-Return to Top-

XE3 will come with the updated AF tracking, doubles the speed for moving objects...later in the year Xpro2 and X-T2 will get this in a firmware update.Theres no mention of the X-T20 getting this.So that alone is good enough reason to class the XE3 as a better camera.

For me,the XE1 is a Takumar only shooter once XE3 arrives.Love the touchscreens on my phn/Samsungs/Panasonics....so this feature is a BONUS.

I suppose a few more primes might have to find their way into my kit too.

15. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

X-T20 is newer than both X-T2 and X-Pro2, so it would be strange not to provide it with the AF update.

16. cpu8088

cpu8088 New Member

-Return to Top-

x-e1 and x-t20 are made in japan

this x-e3 made in china?

17. palane

palane Member

-Return to Top-

Yes,i found it strange when i read the firmware updates, X-T20 only gets somrething that enhances the touch screen.

18. fzdp

fzdp Member

-Return to Top-

x-t20 is made in China as well.

19. palane

palane Member

-Return to Top-

There are some lenses made in China that originally were Jap made,reports from people who own both is that they are both of identical quality.Specifically the 18-55mm, ive read about.

20. cpu8088

cpu8088 New Member

-Return to Top-

the 27 pancake lens is now made in philippines instead of made in china.