This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-E3 Film Simulation Bracketing - Interesting

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3' started by DougMac, Oct 10, 2017.

1. DougMac

DougMac Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I'm shooting RAW + JPEG. I tried film sim bracketing and found that in addition to the three JPEGS, the camera recorded three RAFs! This runs counter to my thinking about RAW files. The three RAFs display "as shot" in software. I would think you'd only save one, then adjust as needed. Maybe I'm thinking backwards, but at 20-40mp a shot times 3, that's a lot of space.

2. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yup, everyone thought this function would simply add 1 RAW file to the 3 JPEGs but it didn’t quite turn out that way.

3. David Schneider

David Schneider Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Or just use a bigger SD card to solve the problem.

4. DougMac

-Return to Top-

:D Until you get home! I have digital photos,going back to 2002.

5. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Active Member

-Return to Top-

It makes perfect sense to me - the RAF file has multiple components: the raw data, thumbnail and preview jeps and EXIF information.

When bracketing Film Simulations the embedded jpegs and EXIF in the RAW files reflect the film simulation.

If you only had one RAF what would go into the embedded jpegs or the EXIF?

Having said that I'm going to completely contradict myself by saying I'm looking forward to the new software that will allow us to use a computer to reprocess RAW files in camera.

I doubt I will bracket film simulations when that happens.

EDIT - just realized this was for X-E3 - does that camera also get the new software?

DougMac likes this.
  6. DougMac

-Return to Top-

You make some excellent points. I'm pretty much stuck in the Canikon mindset. I set my 5D2 to "plain vanilla" and pretty much ignored the "as shot" as I processed the RAW files.

It's time for me to shift gears, to reassess my use of JPEGS and RAWs. One thing that holds me back is the ability to revisit photos and reinterpret them as my skill set improves and new techniques are available. Whether I'll ever be able to wean myself from RAW files remains to be seen.

In the meantime, I need to come up with a shooting scheme. I thought the film simulation bracket was the way to go, but even with compressed RAW I'm looking at ~100mb a shot. For the moment, I'll select the best film simulation and shoot RAW + JPEG. Luckily I can always derive one or more JPEGS in the field if I decide I want to render the scene in more than one way.

Fujifilm Raw Studio, does seem like an interesting alternative. There is no indication yet whether it will be available for the X-T20 or the X-E3. Since the X-E3 has the latest and greatest firmware and the same processing engine as the X-T2, I'm cautiously optimistic it will be compatible.

7. David Schneider

David Schneider Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I went full time digital for my photograhy business in 1999 with Kodak dcs520. Media for the camera was 256MB Type III cards and they were something like $350 each before 513MB cards came out. lol.

Memory is cheap today.

DougMac likes this.
  8. m.hermann

m.hermann Member

-Return to Top-

That's exactly what I do. When I switched from film to the Fuji X-E1 I assigned that lonely Fn button with user preset selection. I had created presets for different types of scenes and moods. An extra saturated Velvia for sunny landscapes, a super contrasty Pro Neg Hi for city streets etc. This has served me well for the past five years.

Yes, that would be fantastic and - with the exception of large prints and certain BW conversions - the only RAW processing I would need.

Marc

DougMac likes this.
  9. Ed Dumas

Ed Dumas Premium Member

-Return to Top-

should be a future Firmware fix

10. palane

palane Member

-Return to Top-

XE3 is a bit faster than my earlier bodies for FS,just a BIT!

DougMac likes this.