This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-E3 & 27mm f/2.8 Pancake Quirk

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3' started by Ed Vatza, Oct 11, 2017 at 1:16 AM.

1. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza Active Member

-Return to Top-

My X-E3 arrived today. Started to play around with it and attached the 27mm pancake for a super lightweight combo. I shoot in Aperture Priority mode so I set the SS to Auto and also set the Auto ISO. The camera seems to work fine but I noticed two things with this combo.

First if I set the Dynamic Range to Auto, I don't seem able to change aperture. It sticks at whatever it was set at. I have to set the DR to 100% (or I assume 200% or 400%) in order to be able to change the Aperture setting.

And second, again with this combo, even though I am set up in Aperture Priority mode, the camera will only show P mode and not A mode.

These two "quirks" only happen with the X-E3 and the 27mm which does not have an aperture ring. If I put another lens on (the 18mm f/2.0 for example), I can set the DR to Auto and obviously adjust the Aperture using the ring on the lens and it works fine. Also with another lens, the camera shows A mode as it should.

A firmware quirk? Or something else? Anyone else experience this?

Ed

2. redsim74

redsim74 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The P mode behaviour would suggest that the lens is reporting it's in A mode - which if I recall you can do by scrolling past the minimum Aperture setting.

According to the X-E3 manual the aperture setting is now on the front dial, are you using that?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017 at 1:37 AM
  3. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza Active Member

-Return to Top-

Got it! Thanks.

Ed