This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Why so many used X-T2 on the market?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by brian kvedaras, Aug 12, 2017 at 1:10 AM.

1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Depends which DSLR and lens combo you have. I have the X-T2 with 18-55 and find it quite heavy compared with my previous Canon, albeit a basic model. Even so the DSLR had better, faster focus.

2. DaveX

DaveX Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

On my old 70D I had the sigma 150-600mm on most days, in the end I thought enough is enough and got rid, that`s why I think for me the Fuji X system is best :)

3. Oldtimer

-Return to Top-

I would agree.

DaveX likes this.
  4. David Schneider

David Schneider Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Curious as to which Canon zoom lens and model you were using that was lighter than the 18-55mm on an X-T2?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 4:28 PM
  5. Oldtimer

-Return to Top-

X-T2 with 18-55 is 817g
    Canon SL1 with 18-55 is 607g

Appreciably lighter. Granted it's not a Fuji with retro dials etc but a very good camera with good image quality, and a lot lighter. Both on the shoulder and the pocket.
    I sold it a bought a XT10, since sold the XT10 and now have the T2. Still a lot lighter DSLR cameras out there, complete with DSLR levels of speed.

6. Oldtimer

-Return to Top-

For larger Canon cameras try this year's 800D or 77D which come in at 732g and 740g respectively, with the same 18-55 lens.

7. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry but I'm not convinced it's good advice to always favour one specific AF square size over another. There's a good reason why Fuji allow you to change the size of the square and knowing when to use which is one of the additional skills I believe OP will need to develop. The square needs to be as big a size as possible but still sit in one plane of focus. A big square gives a nice large area onto which the AF can lock-on. This is particularly important with contrast detect AF. But too large an area and you may have, for example, too much background within the square and the AF may lock on to that instead. Phase Detect AF tends to favour lines rather than high contrast areas. So it's different but similarly benefits from a larger area (as long as it's not too large).

So the (admittedly more complicated) advice has, I believe, be to use the right size square for the circumstances - not too big and not too small.

8. mnflycaster

mnflycaster Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Just did a quick search on US ebay for X-T2 body used .... 9 total
    X-T1 body used.... 89

Searching on US camera stores... the ratio is less.

9. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Big dealers often sell the floor models and demo cameras on a regular basis, which may account for some of the used X-T2s at a place like WEX. It is also true that some gear-obsessed photographers are remarkably fickle and will buy and sell new cameras at the drop of a hat, often without having used them enough to even know what the camera was actually capable of. I have to admit that I buy a lot of cameras myself, but I almost never sell them, and I find that I am still learning things about my X-Pro1 even after 5 years or so.
    The tiny focus square is great when the bird you want to photograph retreats into a thicket.

10. fks

fks Active Member

-Return to Top-

Actually Nikon's 1 series was the first mirrorless to have on-sensor PDAF (does mirrorless count as Live View?). And sadly my V1 and V2 are much better at continuous AF than my X-T1 and X-E2.

[QUOTE="Doug Pardee, post: 711384, member: 56304"Nikon doesn't even have PDAF in Live View in any of their cameras[/QUOTE]

11. lawsofphysics

lawsofphysics Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The V1/V2 should be better at continuous focus. Their sensor area is significantly smaller. When you stand in the same place, the V-system's 13.2 mm x 8.8 mm means more DOF compared to an APS-C camera. The actual V1/V2 focus could be off, but you'd never know it.

That said, Nikon engineers design superb AF systems. Sadly Nikon chose not to sell an APS-C mirrorless system so direct comparison is impossible.

12. fks

fks Active Member

-Return to Top-

Agreed for the same FOV and location. But even with f/1.8 lenses wide open, the 1 Series bodes don't struggle the way the Fuji X bodies do, which just completely lose track of the subject. Could be the lenses as I don't have any of the linear motor ones.

13. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thom Hogan (Nikon gear head) describes the X-T2 as a masterpiece. Please login to view links So Dan Bailey is not really being controversial.

14. brian kvedaras

brian kvedaras New Member

-Return to Top-

So that sparked a lot of interesting conversations. I have learned more, and can use my cameras better today than I could a couple of days ago. I tried some more yesterday and today, especially with AFC and CL and had some more success. There is further to go.

Thanks for all your input and help.

Brian

15. Oldtimer

-Return to Top-

Controversial? Who said that?

16. clipper

clipper Premium Member

-Return to Top-

And the XT-2 has hardly been out long enough to become second hand! Thought the same about most fuji bodies on the facebook selling groups recently. Seems to be an awful lot of selling going on....
    Also, picked up my old Canon 7D today - design nearly 8 years old now - with the 70-200 zoom for the first time in ages, and was shocked how better the autofocus is compared to the XT-1 :-(

17. saposcol

saposcol New Member

-Return to Top-

I love my X-T2. It really allowed me to shoot more because I can now bring it with me everyday as compared to my 6D with the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art (love this lens!), which is a lot heavier and bulkier. I didn't feel a steep learning curve switching from Canon to Fuji. I actually feel that it's more intuitive to use because I can adjust my exposures easier and the camera really gets out of my way. However, I'm still keeping all my Canon gear because my 6D is the very first camera I purchased and has been with me in all our travels.

18. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

I don't think you can tell anything about the quality of a camera by looking at the number of used units of that camera for sale.

rayvonn likes this.
  19. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

AF of the Canon 5D was dramatically better than the X-Pro1. And yet the X-Pro1 is the better camera for me. AF speed is not important for everyone.

I sold the Canon. I still use the X-Pro1. Even yesterday, with the XF 35/1.4.

20. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This is a very interesting discussion. As far as I can tell, this is a local phenomena, not a global trend. One user has noticed an uptick in XT 2 units available in the U.K.

Does anyone have any evidence of this anywhere else?

It is interesting that we are coming up with explanations (all of which point to trends I have noticed, too) for an issue that, as far as I can tell, is isolated. I posted some time ago that I was not seeing the trend in the US.

Has anyone else noticed this anywhere other than a few U.K. Retailers?