This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Why so many used X-T2 on the market?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by brian kvedaras, Aug 12, 2017 at 1:10 AM.

1. brian kvedaras

brian kvedaras New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Guys, I am fairly new to Fuji, to like the gear, owning X-T1 and X-E2 cameras, and previously X10.

I am toying with getting an X-T2 or maybe X-T20. Mainly for better AF performance (I'm not getting great in-focus hits compared with my Nikon D7100) but also the resolution uplift.

In the UK, we have some good used camera stores, such as WEX and MBP.COM, and sometimes you can get some good used camera deals.

There are lots of Fujis for sale, of all models. So I'm not surprised to see 22 used X-T1 bodies for sale on MBP, after all, lots of people will have traded upt othe X-T2. But then I look at the X-T2, and find that they have 14 of those for sale. Some used, some 'as new'. Rather too many X-T2 for sale - why so many of this fab new cameras.

The same deal on WEX, 2 used X-T1 as of just now, but 10 X-T2.

So what is going on? I'm expecting the feature set to mean lots of upgraders to the X-T2, and some new converts from conventional SLR stuff. But this isn't what I'm seeing.

Is this a case of a fair number of people trying the X-T2, but finding that they don't like it after all?

Don't get me wrong, I love Fuji and my X gear, but it is making me hesitate about upgrading - is the competition from others meaning that a reasonable number of people are changing their minds ?

I know that some fiercely don't like knock XTrans' allegedly soft images, waxy high-ISO skin, lack of decent flash gear, and relatively poor AF).

It is puzzling me, there shouldn't be so many nearly new X-T2s on the shelves.

Thoughts please?

2. rayvonn

rayvonn Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I never knew! Definitely going to have a shop around now.

3. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This does not seem to be the case in the US.

I have noticed that, in the U.K., folks can buy refurbished Fuji gear direct from Fuji. And this has been the case for a while. This implies that Fuji is redirecting such stock to the U.K. Market, for whatever reason. This implies that in the larger Fuji vision, making it less expensive to acquire Fuji gear in the U.K. helps, or at least doesn't harm, their overall global plan.

So, I can imagine that retailers in the U.K. have complained about this. And Fuji has decided to compromise by releasing some of the current model cameras directly to retailers, allowing them to sell them as used, instead of selling them directly themselves.. This keeps retailers happy and does not unbalance the marketplace Fuji already established.

4. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I could point to many such threads about all cameras on all forums.

People are always swapping gear, and brands.

If people didn't like their X-T2s you'd read about it on the forum.

For example, X-Photog Dan Bailey said in this Please login to view links if he could only have one body it would be the X-T2.

Also, some dealers will call new cameras as 'used' <wink wink> so they can sell them below MAP if they are overstocked.

5. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

People with GAS who need to have the latest to make their photography better. Since the X-T2 was released the EM1 mkII and Sony A9 have both hit the market. Some people have way too much disposable income and simply hop from brand to brand or model to model without seemingly any regard for the cost.

jutuiz71, bluebear and rayvonn like this.
  6. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

He is sponsored by Fujifilm for goodness sake he is not going to bite the hand that feed him and say he really wants a Canon is he.

CFC1, apsphoto, Fujiphotog and 3 others like this.
  7. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

which I guess is ok, if that is what makes them happy.

8. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Richard you have a real talent at posting nonsense. :)

The point was that the X-T2 is the one body he would keep of all the Fujis. He wouldn't do this if there was some problem with the model, now would he?

9. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Another possible reason for the amount of used X-T2's is that the sales have been very good, beyond expectations. You would then expect to see the proportional increase in used cameras.

10. Neville Growcott

Neville Growcott Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, alot of people think they like photography, but really they don't. They just like cameras, Thats all. It's not the camera that produces top results, it's the person behind it. I have a Fuji XPro1 and you could not get a better camera. Should last me for quite a while yet. It has film like quality.

11. elisha.jesudason

elisha.jesudason Member

-Return to Top-

Lots more gear heads out there than actual photographers.

12. Peterlourenco

Peterlourenco Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Their loss is your gain :)
    Picked up my used X-T2 a while ago. It was immaculate. Saved myself a few hundred quid.
    It's a good a camera as I'll ever need.

crashton and bluebear like this.
  13. bluebear

bluebear Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In terms of overall numbers, and for a camera as popular as the X-T2, that's not a lot really when you're talking major players in the UK used market such as Wex or MPB. As others have remarked, it's the same with other brands.

Your post expresses anxiety about upgrading to the X-T2 from your current set up - don't worry! I have an XT1, have had an XT10, had an XE1, and also have the X100T and X70. I recently sold my little-used Nikon D810 and a load of lenses and bought an X-Pro 2 and a couple of lenses. I wanted something different from my XT1, which I'm keeping, but couldn't be happier. The feature sets between the two cameras are much the same in terms of IQ and AF; the difference is in handling/layout. The improvement in AF speed and accuracy is enough in itself to justify the upgrade in my view, let alone the improved sensor etc etc.

There'll always be people who buy gear, don't like it/can't fathom how to use it/think the grass is greener elsewhere so sell their new camera. So what?! You obviously like your Fuji gear so you're not one of these. The reality is that the X-T2 is a worthwhile upgrade to the already worthy XT1, so my advice is to go out and buy one! You won't regret it!!

Tim Foster likes this.
  14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

If this post is nonsense it makes remarkable sense to me. Should I be worried?

clipper, rayvonn and Photoron like this.
  15. The Astronomer

The Astronomer New Member

-Return to Top-

I have a touch of Gas but have retained my X-T1. Great camera. May get an X-T2 at some point.
    Personally I am sure there are a multitude of reasons for increased number of used models available. Take advantage of it? I use both Wex and Ffordes - both excellent dealers who provide guarantees for used models.
    Get the X-T2 and enjoy.

16. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Some will be people who went back to DSLR's for whatever reason and others who get bored very quickly with their latest toys

17. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Actually I think there could be an issue - related to the X-T2 - here. There are some fairly substantial claims around about things like its autofocus being on par with higher-end DSLR's. Personally I'm not 100% convinced about these claims but there is no doubt that the AF system on the X-T2 is getting very good.

However, it does also take a fair bit of getting used to I believe. We've had quite a few threads on this forum where new users have had major issues. On the odd occasion maybe these were caused by a faulty camera? To be blunt I'm not sure Fuji have the same quality control as Canikon - so I'll accept that faults could occur. But for sure many of the "faults" are actually to do with the Photographer not spending time to understand how the AF works. This is especially true in lower light conditions when the contrast detect AF kicks in.

Now couple that with the "more money then sense" brigade (already mentioned by a couple of previous posters) and that could be a factor. I could envisage that sort of person tipping up in a camera shop...

"Oh wow - the Fuji X-T2 - it's so much smaller than my Nikon D5 and has tons of autofocus options - that will impress my mates. I have to have it. How much discount can I have with part-exchanging my D5 and 800mm f5.6?"

... two days later...

"Oh wow - you have the new Sony A9 - it sounds like a machine gun in burst mode - that will impress my mates. I have to have it and my Fuji X-T2 is a bunch of rubbish. Damm thing can't even focus properly. How much discount can I have against the A9?"

:rolleyes:

Anyhow - tongue in cheek comments over and back to the OP - the Fuji X-T2 is a fine upgrade on the "1". But I think you have to spend time understanding the AF options to get the most out of it. So it could well be that some are switching and then finding they don't like it. Sweeping generalisation - but most people will get more out of really understanding their existing camera(s) than by buying a new one. For example I'd think the X-T2 should be able to match the D7100 but not convinced it would beat it. Likewise you'd get a 50% theoretical gain resolution compared to the X-T1 but obviously not compared to the Nikon. You also need to be sure, I would suggest, that the theory of extra resolution translates into practise for what you do with your images? You can print up to A3 from 10-12 megapixels and even a 4k screen only uses c. 8 mp. So the 16 mp on the X-T1 already gives some cropping room. The main advantage of the higher resolution is more of the same for most people. So I would suggest thinking about it carefully before making a purchase.

Then again - if everybody was rational there'd be far fewer second-hand bargains to be had!

18. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Indeed, and since I always buy refurbished or pre-owned, and keep using my camera for a long time, please don't hesitate to trade in your cameras when there's a new model out!

I think some people get also enjoyment from the switching itself; getting to learn a new system, and having new toys to play with. And as long as they can afford it, there's nothing wrong with that, I think.

crashton, rayvonn and jknights like this.
  19. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You could be right - in fact I'm sure you're right for some people. However, I think others manage to make themselves miserable. Some people seem to blame the cameras they own (or have owned) whereas the real issue is, as they say, about six inches behind the viewfinder!

crashton, Pedro1948 and jknights like this.
  20. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Well I havent seen a large number of second hand X-T2 units around. Just as well as the new price for an X-T2 is just ove £1031. I am waiting for it to drop below the magic £1000 before I purchase a second X-T2 body. At that time I need to get rid of my XT1.