This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Which would you buy? 16mm or 80mm

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by pszilard, May 12, 2018.

?
  1. 16mm

38.5%
  2. 80mm

20.5%
  3. Neither as existing lenses are too close

41.0%
  1. Angus

Angus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree with that.
    Keep the 90, sell everything else and get the 56, 16 and think about either the 23 f1.4 or 35 f1.4.
    I found the 35 as close to the 56 as the 16 is to the 23.
    That would be my game plan anyway, but we are all different.

2. ianpiper

ianpiper Premium Member

-Return to Top-

OK; just one? The 16mm.

But you can't go wrong with any of the ones you own or are thinking about owning.

BTW I owned the lovely 90mm, but I have the 80mm now and I think it's overall the better choice, because it is both a macro and a portrait lens.

Also, if it were me, I'd have the 16mm and the 35mm f1.4 rather than the 14mm and the 16-55.

But we're all different of course.

3. pszilard

pszilard RemektekMedia.com

-Return to Top-

Thank you for your post. Most people seem to ignore what I said earlier, and also ignore the list of lenses that I already own and are listed in my signature. Perhaps they have "Display signature" turned off?

Just for the record, I already have: 8mm f2.8 fisheye Samyang, Fuji: 12mm f.28, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 60mm f2.4 macro, 90mm f2. Zooms 16-55, 18-55, 18-135, 50-140 and 100-400 -- so recommending to get any of these is ludicrous.

But as I said already, I was interested in what YOU the reader would buy/use not what I ought to do.

Anyway, I do hope that people get some insight and enjoyment from this thread. I am certainly enjoying reading different point of views.

If you want to know MY take on the situation, then I favour the 16mm f1.4, because of its low light and close focus capability and beautiful image rendering, which seems to surpass even the 16-55mm zoom. The 80mm macro would be my choice if I didn't already have the 90mm and if I didn't have an X-H1 with IBIS. As it is, I can get IS from the body, plus I have an extension tube that I can use with the 90mm, should the need arise. Furthermore I still have a 105mm f2.2 Micro Nikkor with a Klippon adaptor. I also have Nikon Ring Flash, which can mount on the Nikon Micro lens.

If I do decide to spring for the 16mm then I'll have a good collection of f2 (or faster) lenses in 16, 23, 35, 56 and 90 primes.

Again, I thank you all for your discussions. :)
    Happy shooting folks.

rayvonn likes this.
  4. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Your question was:

So, I most definitely didn't care to look at your signature, why would I? You already set the frame and I told you what I'd do in that case.

5. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Wow...

First, invite opinions and then repeatedly "correct" unliked opinions as though those who generously respond are bad children who fail to follow instructions...

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    lysander, YogiMik, cug and 1 other person like this.
  6. pszilard

-Return to Top-

Angus and rayvonn like this.
  7. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It is. The only 'drawback' is that, knowing what the lens can do, it's almost as if an average image out of it just won't do. Creates a kind of creative pressure which I suppose is a good thing.

8. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

(serious) question for either OP or rayvonn :
    - please explain specifically why these two shots are examples of a "great lens" that creates "creative pressure" to use it to its full potential, etc ??
    - please educate me.

khunrudi, lysander and YogiMik like this.
  9. pszilard

-Return to Top-

Just my personal thoughts on the question: This lens has outstanding close focusing, wide undistorted view and low light capabilities. To make best use of these, you need to pick better framing than "average" and subject matter that lends itself to close and far objects, especially in normally challenging (low) light conditions. Taking a straight wide angle landscape on a sunny day, whilst will deliver a high quality image, will be similar to using a less capable lens, but taking the shots that I showed, illustrates how good this lens is at wide open at f1.4, both for sharpness, and depth of field as well as colour rendition in low light.

Whilst I don't regard my photos to be "difficult" it was necessary to get my mindset to think differently than if I had an "ordinary" lens.

Don't know if my comments make sense to you, but it's the best I can do.

rayvonn likes this.
  10. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Taking pictures with human subjects near the edges with a lens as wide as the 16 requires that the photographer exercise a greater degree of skill than with a lens with a narrower degree of skill.

In general, images with a lens this wide (or wider) have a greater chance of being very passive. It requires a much greater diligence to both fill the frame with useful elements, avoid distractions and not create unfortunate differences in relative proportion of elements.

11. Stephen_B

Stephen_B Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Paul,
    When you created this thread, it mirrored my own challenges in choosing a new lens while they're on sale. Since I already have the 14mm and the 18mm, and was considering the purchase of the 90mm, I went with the 80mm. In hindsight, I think the 80mm was the right choice for me, especially when the subject of macro comes up.

However, I just want to say that your images from the 16mm and justification for its purchase are not making it any easier for me, as I've always thirsted for that fast 16mm. :D

12. pszilard

-Return to Top-

Stephen, If I didn't already have the 90mm plus the 105mm Micro Nikkor, and having 14mm and 18mm, I would have also chosen the 80mm. I personally think your choice was the right one. I tested my 60mm and 90mm with an extension tube, and concluded that the 60mm (and the Micro Nikkor) were both "true" flat field macros, whereas the 90mm with extension tube was close focusing, but not the best choice. The 80mm on the other hand would give you a stabilised real macro function and also provide an excellent portrait at wide open, albeit 1 stop less than the 90mm.

So for me, the choice was different, but at the end of the day, they are a win-win choice. :) I am looking forward seeing your photos taken with the 80mm both of macro subjects and portraits!

Anyway, I share your joy of a new tool in your arsenal! Enjoy it it my friend.