This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Which software best for camera's jpegs?

Discussion in 'Post Processing/Software Forum' started by Kirstybell, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Kirstybell

Kirstybell Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks, I originally had Aperture. Then photos and then latterly also Lightroom. Almost all my JPEG files are from early models, x100, xe1 and XPro1 if that makes any difference. Lots to take in from what has been said. Doesn’t help that I’m only just becoming familiar with post processing. Thanks also for patience in the face of the depths of my ignorance.

2. gduncanson

gduncanson battery sherpa

-Return to Top-

+1 for snapseed
    compared to Lightroom mobile and VSCO.

Kirstybell likes this.
  3. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

@jknights You can still get Lightroom from many sellers and then just download the 6.14 version
    Please login or register to view links

Then you download the update
    Please login or register to view links

In fact if you have a serial number for a previous version, or if you purchased a previous edition that had not been used, you can still download a 4.0 or 5.0 version or their updates directly from Adobe.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  4. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I prefer Capture One to LR for RAW or jpeg.

If you have the LR subscription you also get Photoshop, which is the big guns for me.

I agree that snapseed on the iPad is great for quick jpeg edits. Affinity Photo looks quite good (I have the Mac version but I'm still using Photoshop).

If I had nothing and wanted the best, Capture One and Photoshop.

If I wanted inexpensive, the free Silkypix version from Fuji is solid as is the RAW processor from Fuji which uses your camera and I would combine one of these with Affinity for $40 or $50 US.

Kirstybell likes this.
  5. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

That will work for US customers but Adobe are very strict about upgrades in non-USA countries. A few years ago I tried to purchase an update (CS4 ==> CS6) to my Photoshop CS4 (USA purchased) but the Adobe USA store refused my credit card as it was based in UK. I tried using a friend in USA card and it refused that as my license was UK based. In the end I purchase Design Suite CS6 in UK from scratch. Another peeve with Adobe is their international pricing model is neither consistent, logical nor coherent! Thank goodness I no longer need to give them money!
    PhaseOne are easier to deal with.

CWRailman likes this.
  6. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Definitely agree with that strategy.

One caveat is that there is no perfect RAW processor and different softwares work better/worse under different lighting conditions!

7. sphexx

sphexx Member

-Return to Top-

You don’t have to import two copies. You can set an external editor in Apple Photos — see the link in post #6.

Kirstybell likes this.
  8. Mk1

Mk1 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use at the moment LR on the iPad and it works very well
    Just quick edits I prefer Snapseed it’s a great program too

SquarePeg and Kirstybell like this.
  9. piers

piers Member

-Return to Top-

In times past I have fiddled with RAW, but I find the beauty of Fujis wysiwyg (live view) and the jpeg quality means I don't need it. Besides, I no longer have RAW eyesight. So, I am clinging on to Aperture 3.5.1 for as long as possible, on a 2012 macbook. Just recently discovered there is Aperture 3.6, which would apparently allow me to upgrade from Mavericks to High Sierra, ONCE i am sure all files are safely on an ext HD. And that seems to be a bit of a headache. Anybody done this?
    BTW, I'm not actually a luddite, just like things that work well for me

10. Christop82

Christop82 Active Member

-Return to Top-

Snapseed for mobile editing.
    Darktable for computer editing.
    With darktable your able to create multiple edit profiles. Adjust one image to your liking, save the profile, and then with one click you can apply the profile to each image.

SquarePeg likes this.