This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Where can the problem be? on the machine or firmware?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by Danienet0, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Danienet0

Danienet0 New Member

-Return to Top-

Good afternoon, I recently updated the firmware of my xt2 to version 3.00.

I also bought the Fujinon xf 50-140mm f2.8 LM OIS WR lens, and what happens with this lens is the following, I take a photograph, press the button to view, and when I re-shoot the camera can not focus, and the The lens aperture information appears f0, and only returns to focus after turning the camera off and on again.

I have two more lenses one 35mm 2f and one 16mm 1.4, and with these two lenses in the machine, it works normally.

I went to the store where I bought the lens, and tested with the store owner, a lens of his, like mine (50-140) on my machine, and the problem remained.
    Then we tested my lens (50-140) on his machine in which he did not have the latest version of the firmware and the machine worked normally without problems.

I deduce that the problem here is an incompatibility between version 3.00 of xt2 and lens 50-140.

2. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

The problem you describe rather points to a contact problem between camera and lens. Clean the contacts both on your camera body and your lens using a dry, lint-free cotton cloth and try again.

Your test results are inconclusive wrt to where the problem is located (camera or lens). I cannot imagine an incompatibility between camera firmware and lens because if that were so, our forum would be full of problem reports.

What I could imagine is a dimensional mismatch of manufacturing tolerances between lens and camera. Did you take a close look at the lens bayonet and compare it with that of the lens copy at your dealers'? If you can't find any discrepancy, I'd suggest that you contact Fuji's customer service. Be prepared however that they might want to look both at your camera and your lens.

BillC-PA likes this.
  3. Danienet0

Danienet0 New Member

-Return to Top-

Already, thanks for the reply.

clean, I've cleaned, and the problem continues.
    My lens (50-140) worked well on another body, but another equal lens on my xt2 body does not work. I believe that with the lens everything is fine.
    probably the problem is in the machine, but I already sent it to fujifilm, I hope they solve the problem or give me another machine.

4. GregWard

GregWard Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I'd agree with @Arjay - not least because I have the X-T2 running v3 of the firmware and the 50-140mm (running the up to date 1.21 firmware) and I have no issues. I've just tried the exact process you describe and my camera is very happy to focus the second time. It is clearly not a universal compatibility issue but something more unusual.

You could try checking the firmware version on the lens? It should be v1.21. Also - as @Arjay says it could be the connection between lens and camera. Sometimes there's a very small amount of "wiggle" in the lens mount. You could try (carefully) rotating the lens without pressing the lens release button and seeing if the f0 error goes away?

5. Danienet0

Danienet0 New Member

-Return to Top-

still insisting, but why does it only crash after viewing an image taken? Is there any reason for this?

6. fqe

fqe New Member

-Return to Top-

I have the same problem with my lens, my girlfriend was away on a one year trip and took the lens, complained about having too many mis-focused images, I have tried the lens, all firmware udated with both lens and X T2 and found out that when focusing at 140mm the lens will continue to update the focus, never getting it right.
    It only occurs at this focal length, therefore giving the wrong idea that all is fine when you try at other focal lengths, anyone else has had this?
    Help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

7. GregWard

GregWard Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I think one of the issues with this type of problem is that there's an assumption that there's a specific identifiable problem. Unfortunately there might not be one. These days both camera AND LENS contain what are, in effect, mini computers. So there could be some sort of bug or glitch in the firmware etc.

That said - try the obvious things first. Look very carefully at the contacts/pins on the lens and camera. If possible - compare the problem combination with other Fuji lenses/cameras to see if there are any obvious issues? You say your girlfriend took the lens for a year - but you don't mention the camera? Does that mean she had a different camera and you other lenses? If so - how do those work? Try cleaning the contacts - and try the "wiggle test" I mentioned previously (post 4). If all of that fails to help - try going to a Fuji dealer and asking to try your lens with another X-T2 and your camera with another 50-140.

Good luck - but I worry that this is a bit of a weird fault and none of the above may help.

8. Macmodus

Macmodus FujiFilm.. what else!

-Return to Top-

If a problem is not easy to define, you should actually do a reset (possibly reinstall the firmware) to find out if it is something in the camera. Or that a combination of settings causes this.
    So adjust the settings one by one.

What is also possible is that you put a backup (via fujifilm Acquire) from another X-T2 user back on your camera!

It's just an idea

9. fqe

fqe New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the input.
    Apologies for not mentioning the camera. It is a X T2.

I am not a newcomer, been with Fuji since the x100 and know these cameras very well, I have a close relationship with Fuji where I live and although I have not yet reported this to the tech team, just wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem.

I have indeed made lots of tests with different lens and the 55-140 is the only one that seems to have a life of its own, like I said, if you try focusing with the focal length on 140mm, once it acquires focus, it will continue hunting or retrying to focus, but if any other focal length is used, not problem, it remains focused.

Weird, hey?....my guess is that it may be a bug, but still, nothing like, checking it out with the community.

When I mentioned my girlfriend using it, she did in fact complaint throughout the trip that she was having trouble with the lens, but I thought it was for some other reason, but now I can better understand what the problem is.

Thank you for the input, anyway.

Cheers,
    Fernando

10. jonathan7007

jonathan7007 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Fernando, please come back and tell us what Fuji(tech) determined. Focus hunting at 140mm would be very bad. Did the lens act differently when zoomed to a slightly different focal length like 135mm?

At fast-moving events I tend to zoom right out to the max to get "reach" so I end up at 140mm a lot when using this lens in wide open spaces. I have not seen the focus hunting you describe, but I discovered that I was on a very old firmware (and am waiting a week more to see what bugs are discovered in v4 firmware....)

11. FrancisFaustino

FrancisFaustino Active Member

-Return to Top-

I had an XF80mm Macro that would occasionally cause an error on the XT2 that tells me to turn the camera off and back on again when going from playback to shooting mode. I called Fujifilm service center and was told that the error is usually caused by a faulty lens focusing mechanism. I could probably have lived with it but I couldn't stand the thought that it might get worse in time since it's a mechanical defect. Since I was still within the store's return/exchange period, Fujifilm service center advised me to just get an exchange from the store instead of having to send it in for service.

12. BillC-PA

BillC-PA Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Check the screws on the lens mounting plate on the camera. I had a couple came loose just a bit which caused some strange problems, especially when I held the camera at various angles .. problem would occur then go away. This happened on the X-T1, but I now check the screws on the X-T2 and carry a screwdriver with me just in case.