This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What I found in the closet . . . ,

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by Jim Licquia, Aug 9, 2017.

1. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

What? 3 months income for a collapsible?

I bought one for $100 in the late 70s to go with an M3 I acquired.

2. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I payed £120 for mine. Still have the receipt. It was as good as new and I made a £20 down payment and they kept it for me until I could cough up the rest. At the time I made £1.40 per day + board and lodging o_O:eek::D

Mischa likes this.
  3. Jim Licquia

Jim Licquia Member

-Return to Top-

My Rigid 50 came from Dan Tamarkin of Tamarkin Camera in Chicago a number of years ago. They have appreciated! I think I paid him $800 for it. Used it mostly on my M4 but also occasionally on the M2 and M3, all three of which I still have. Maybe it is now destined for new life on my XPro2.

I had a collapsible 50 LTM Summicron but alas, let it go with a couple of iiifs, a iiig and a Summar and a Summitar. The Summitar was no slouch, pretty good actually. The Summar is another story. When I got it, for $25, I think, the focusing mechanism was completely froze, up but the glass was perfect, but uncoated, I think. One of the guys on the LHSA website suggested pouring a little lighter fluid into the focusing mechanism snd then gently working the mechanism. Two applications of lighter fluid did the trick, completely freeing it up without any adverse effects on the lens elements and it was good as new!

4. robert

-Return to Top-

:bow:

I think I was 18 at the time, living with my parents, when I got mine. ;)

5. Jim Licquia

Jim Licquia Member

-Return to Top-

Ok, the adapter arrived. fits well and the 50 looks great on the XPro2. I am new to adapted lenses so let me see if I've got this right. The effective focal becomes 75mm and the maximum aperture remains f 2.0. Does this mean that only the center area of the full 50 mm image hits the sensor and the edges and the corners are discarded, OR does the entire 50 mm image from the lens get reduced to fit the APS sensor? This seems to be a critical issue determining whether edge/corner performance of the lens is even relevant.

Looking through the viewfinder, the image is pretty dim in EVF mode. OVF mode is brighter but the image is smaller and focusing is difficult.

Quickly shot some jpegs outside in waning daylight and looking at them in Lightroom, they are razor sharp from edge to edge at moderate apertures, color is good as is contrast. Shooting into the sun, there was minimal flare. An uncontrolled test to be sure, but the results look promising. Am going to try it on the X-T2 tomorrow to see if maybe the viewfinder issues are better.

Not a big fan of the 75 mm focal length, but it may have its uses.

6. robert

-Return to Top-

What mode are you using? I generally use aperture priority, the EVF should 'gain up' even in dim conditions. It won't if you are in manual, unless you've disabled 'preview exposure in manual mode'

The image circle of the lens is much larger than the APS sensor so the edges are cropped which gives the narrower field of view.

7. Jim Licquia

Jim Licquia Member

-Return to Top-

Robert.

That's helpful, thank you. I was in aperture priority mode shooting between f 2.8 and f 11 but focusing at f 2.0. Will check the 'preview exposure in manual mode' setting.
    Just put the 50 on the X-T2 to try it. Wow, what a difference; bright, easy focus, etc. I think that is where it is going to get the most use.

8. robert

-Return to Top-

'Preview ' only applies in manual, so if you're using aperture priority you should be good to go :)

9. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

Yeah, it's a 50mm on APS-C, like any other 50mm on APS-C it will result in a field of view of about 31° diagonally (as opposed to 46° on the 135 format film)
    So it's a short tele lens now, good for portraiture and some other things, but not the "normal, general-use lens" it was before :)

I would like to know why the viewfinder was so dark on the X-Pro2, if it supposedly auto-adjusts brightness..

10. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes. Every lens has an image circle which it projects. The size of the sensor determines how much of that gets recorded.

If this is what you want, get a focal reducers like the Lens Turbo II or Metabones Speedbooster.

11. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

@F2Bthere won't work since it's a Leica M-mount lens. Flange distance is too short for a focal reducer.

12. robert

-Return to Top-

I heard someone was working on such a reducer. Now, where did I see it?

13. Jim Licquia

Jim Licquia Member

-Return to Top-

No need, thanks. I'm starting to wonder why I am playing around with these Leica lenses that need to used with a converter, are manual, etc when I have some nice Fuji lenses.

I think I'll put the 50 rigid back on the M4 or M3 where it belongs and go out and shoot some film tomorrow.

14. robert

-Return to Top-

:goodjob:

15. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There is no such thing as an effective focal length. It is a 50/2 no matter what. Like Fuji's own 50/2 or 56/1.2 lenses, it is a short tele if used on a Fuji X camera.
    Focusing in OVF is easy if you use the magnified ERF view with focus peaking or stop down and focus by feeling.
    Corner sharpness of most Leica lenses is better on 135 format than on APS-C format, because most Leica lenses are sharp in the center and in the corners and slightly less sharp somewhere in between. This zone of reduced sharpness happens to usually end up in the corners and along the left and right edges of an APS-C sensor. Thus your corners are going to look even sharper on film than with your Fuji. OTOH vignetting kick's in outside the APS-C frame and further deteriorates bokeh along the edges of the 135 format frame. But like all RF Summicrons, this lens has weak bokeh to begin with, if you want nice bokeh shoot Fuji lenses. More on this in my next post.
    KIPON released new 0.65x Baveyes for Leica M mount lens on Nov 24,2016.-KIPON adapter
    Because they can do things Fuji lenses can't. Fuji lenses can do other things Leica lenses can't, that's why it's good to have both.
    If you put the M-Adapter with a 21mm M lens on your Fuji and the 50mm on your M4 you can go out and shoot digital and film, ultra wide, wide, normal and tele and you can do it enjoying the advantages of both APS-C and 135 format while carrying very little gear and no loose lenses.
    Cheers!

16. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

17. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A little comparison between the collapsible and the 56/1.2 R. Both shots Classic Chrome @400ASA, 1/125, f/2, identical manual WB, DR100%
    I shot the 56 at its close focusing distance and unscrewed the LTM adapter two turns to shoot the collapsible at the same distance.

First up the collapsible. Untouched OOC:
    XP2M7278a.jpg

Now the 56:
    XP2M7280a.jpg

Now the collapsible, same OOC JPEG as above after hitting "Auto contrast" in PSE. It now seems equally sharp.
    XP2M7278b.jpg

These are the complete images, downsized to 1200x800

18. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Now these are roughly 1100x1100 crops of the images above, in the same order. Remember, the 56 is stopped down to f2. The crops are from the softest area of the collapsible (along the left and right edges). Judge yourself:
    collapsible ooc:
    XP2M7278-100%a.jpg

56. Notice the superior bokeh:
    XP2M7280 100%.jpg

collapsible ooc+ PSE auto contrast. NO SHARPENING ADDED:
    XP2M7278-100%.jpg

19. robert

-Return to Top-