This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What films are you shooting? Please post examples.

Discussion in 'Other Cameras' started by beakhammer, Nov 25, 2015.

1. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Denis, did you dislike the cameras performance, or was it just prone to breakdowns? I have never used a Canonet, so I can't comment.

2. denis.lincoln

denis.lincoln Apartment Smells of Rich Mahogany

-Return to Top-

I had one that I bought for too much money. When it showed up with a poorly aligned rangefinder, rather than sending it back when I had the opportunity I chose to try a number of times to align it myself using waxed paper, frosted scotch tape and a focusing screen from a Canon F1 set on the film plane.

Eventually, after a half-dozen times where I was SURE I'd nailed the alignment this time and putting rolls of film through the camera that I'd pay to have developed only to be disappointed, I paid a tech to align the rangefinder, ran a test roll through it and it was good.

At that point I was soured from having to deal with it, sold it and bought my M4.

The Canonet is a fine camera if you get one that works properly. It can also be a hole to throw money into in film, development and repair costs. At the end of the day it's not worth the 150 or so dollars you have to spend to get another. The lens is nice, the viewfinder is easy to read, the meter is accurate enough with store bought batteries, the red-striped, wiggly film advance is good for peace of mind that you actually are exposing film and that the film is advancing. At the price point and availability of the QL17 GIII though they're just not worth the heartache that comes from wasting additional money, time and trouble on something that you bought with a certain expectation.

Activatedfx and beakhammer like this.
  3. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

yeah the seller should spend the money testing and adjusting

I’m a big fan of Canonets. luckily they’ve all worked :)

imagesfromobjects and beakhammer like this.
  4. Activatedfx

Activatedfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ha! I remember. Seems to be a problem with the Canonets? It is boxed and ready to go back to the seller. Just bought a Leica M7, so no need for the Canon anymore! :)

5. imagesfromobjects

imagesfromobjects Remember

-Return to Top-

Your story is probably the main reason I've taken a pass on the Canonet. They come up fairly often on Philly CL for prices that seem maybe a little *too* reasonable, and I have more than enough wonky gear. I want to have one some day, or at least I like the idea of a fixed lens rangefinder, but I don't have the best luck with finicky mechanical devices.

6. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

I have had good luck.
    Konica Auto S2, $40 at thrift store, perfect.
    Franka Balda super baldina, $15 at thrift, perfect.
    Cosina Voigtlander Bessa R, ebay from South Korea, works perfectly, slight vertical misalign,ent in RF does not affect focus accuracy.
    Borrowed Bronica RF645, perfect.
    Zeiss Ikon Mess-Ikonta, estate sale for $40, excellent condition, accurate uncoupled RF
    No duds so far.

7. SHAR

SHAR Member

-Return to Top-

I've been playing with a Canon AE-1 and using mostly Kodak TX or TMAX, and am going to try some ACROS next. I shoot B&W only. I recently bought an IR filter and am going to play with Please login or register to view links. Should be fun.
    Here's a couple recent examples , although I normally don't shoot landscapes with film. Not perfect by any means but I'm still learning. The last one with the barista I missed focus, for example.

88930014-4.jpg

88930001-5.jpg

85210014.jpg

8. robert

-Return to Top-

Canonets are no more prone to being wonky than any other 35-40 year old camera. It all depends on how well they were abused, or not! ;)

imagesfromobjects likes this.
  9. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

When I bought the Canon, I also "accidentally" bought a Yashica Electro 35 GX. It was mint, new seals, etc., and listed for $30 with a few bids. At the last second, it was still only $32, so I put a crazy $38.99 bid in, thinking it would go higher than that, but I won it for $37! Turns out to be in nearly new condition with perfect focusing and no issues. It was from Precision Camera in Austin, so I have a feeling it was a repair that never got picked up?

Anyway, if you want a fixed lens RF, I'd go with a Yash Electro. There are tons of them around, lots of good support and info available on the net, and not expensive. There's also a guy on eBay who will CLA the Electro's for @$70. He also tunes up the electricals (there's an issue with the motherboard going dead on the early GSN's. Later one's have updated electrics.), so even if you get a cheapie that's a dud, $70 will get it fixed up, aligned and working.

10. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

And, if you remember, mine took a big hit when the seller shipped it to me. He had it wrapped up in bubble wrap, but it was floating in foam peanuts. The camera settled to the bottom during it's trip from LA, and must have been dropped because the UV filter that was on it was bent like someone took pliers to it. I'm sure that's why it's not working right.

11. imagesfromobjects

imagesfromobjects Remember

-Return to Top-

FYI, the MX and ST801 are still going strong, and I have put both through hell. :)

beakhammer likes this.
  12. robert

-Return to Top-

That's super cool. Both are excellent bodies, the Fujicas highly under-rated for M42 lenses.

imagesfromobjects likes this.
  13. Tim Sewell

Tim Sewell Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My best bargain so far arrived last week - a Canon EOS 1N that I grabbed for £56 on eBay, with a PB-E1 booster/winder. It was advertised as untested but able to power up. When it got here it was hard to power up and when it did got intermittent bc errors. I put it down, as I was at work, then when I picked it up again after dinner that night it was completely dead and un-rousable. Hey ho, I thought, them's the breaks.

Next morning, on a whim, I stuffed some scrunched up bits of silver foil into the ends of the battery sled for the booster - bingo! Perfect working order! Another £50 got me the standard grip, with which it, again, works perfectly. So I've got what was for quite some time the pinnacle of Canon's pro range, which retailed for around £1500 in 1989/90, for the grand total of £106.

beakhammer likes this.
  14. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

I had one of those, and sold it. Fool that I am.

15. Tim Sewell

-Return to Top-

Silly billy! Seriously though, it cost me so little that even if I hadn't got it working I'd have kept it against the day my children have grown sufficiently non-destructive that I can have a nice display of cameras somewhere in my lounge. As it is, it represents so little sunk money that I doubt I'll ever sell it.

16. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Well, since this seems to be the Film shooters all-purpose thread these days I will post today's addition to my rest-home for wayward cameras. A good friend just gave me his box of old Olympus stuff, a new brand for me. Aside from a broken OM1 there are three 50mm/1.8 lenses, a 28mm/3.5 and a 135mm/3.5. An OM10 needs batteries, but seems to be in good shape. Best of all is the OM1-N, which is all functioning well except for the selfie-timer. Shutter is accurate, light meter works, seals look good. That's the model I like best too. Tiny and all-mechanical, with a huge viewfinder. The 50mm lenses all had some big dirt inside them, but I was able to take one apart, clean it up nicely, and put it all back together. The Zuiko lenses seem pretty easy to work on.
    OM1-N sm.jpg

OM10 sm.jpg

denis.lincoln and magmouse like this.
  17. Tim Sewell

-Return to Top-

OM1 is lovely, like a jewel - I managed to get one in just about perfect (apart from the seals) condition a while ago. Sometimes I just take it out to fondle it!

beakhammer likes this.
  18. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

I've been taking my M7 out and fondling it. It's all I can do right now because my work has been crazy and I don't have time to buy a lens for it, much less go out and take photos! :-(

denis.lincoln likes this.
  19. robert

-Return to Top-

if you want to borrow a lens just let me know. ;)

20. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

Ha! I TRULY appreciate the offer, Robert!! You rock.

I've made up my mind that a VM Nokton 50/1.5 in chrome will be my 1st M lens. They are on a "minor" sale at B&H this week ($50 off), so I plan to sneak out of the office tomorrow and pick one up so I can shoot a few rolls over the weekend!! 2 rolls of Portra 160, and 1 Ektar 100 and 1 Provia 100 sitting on my desk begging to be used.

It's "Murphy's Law" that if I buy something I really want (or book a vacation), my work will leap off the charts and I won't be able to enjoy my new toy!! But work is good...