This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Video Setting for XE3 (or XT20) Poor man F-log?

Discussion in 'Videography' started by Kong Pahurak, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Kong Pahurak

Kong Pahurak New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi. I was planning my short film with Sony FS7 in mind when the news hit me that the camera was not available for me anymore. Looking around what I have, I remembered getting quite a great 4K footage from my XE3.

Thus, I researched some threads and found out that many are using 'poor man F-Log' for their XT2 video setting--that's is every setting with maximum minus and NegS profile. Still, I couldn't find anything about proper setting for XE3 (or XT20) which using a different 4K technique from XT2.

I tried the poor man F-Log myself a bit but I found out that -4 at sharpness look quite off (or maybe my grading skill is too bad). So, anyone has a better setting? It maybe my taste, but classic chrome-base look better too me. But I'm still not sure about the sharpness setting anyway.

2. Mr SMW

Mr SMW Triple Platinum Member

-Return to Top-

XT-20 user for video and I sort of use the 'poor man's F-log' using Chrome, but don't dial out so much colour.

I don't think you can realistically do too much grading anyway without using a proper log setting, so it's more 'tweaking' than 'grading'.

I think that's your choice really, - either accept it's limitations and use it pretty much as a (lightly tweaked) SOOC choice, or invest in another bit of kit which does have a proper log option such as the X-H1 if your colours are nailed to the Fuji mast.

Kong Pahurak likes this.
  3. Kong Pahurak

Kong Pahurak New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I think I need to rethink about how to go with the color. It’s not raw or log anyway and closer to the times I used 5DMkII or GH2. So, I’m aiming to get the SOOC as close as my final image as possible. Still, could you share your setting? Is it minus everything at maximum but leave the color at -2 or 0?

4. Tim Sewell

Tim Sewell Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you set everything at minimum, then you will have to grade to get a usable final image. When people do this, they're trying to emulate a log gamma, which actually just isn't really possible. A log gamma redistributes the available bits so that they are concentrated in the mid tones and have a flattened highlight response. In this way the sensor can better represent high contrast scenes, but obviously will need grading - initially the application of a technical LUT to transform the curve back to legal video values. All reducing contrast in a linear gamma (everything other than F-log on a Fuji camera) does is - well - reduce the contrast. Additionally, there's a huge body of opinion that says log gammas shouldn't generally be used with an 8 bit codec as the codec lacks the necessary tonal levels to cope with the effects of the redistributions, resulting in smearing and macro-blocking after grading.

C-log, Canon's implementation, is claimed to be specifically designed for 8 bit, while Panasonic's V-log-light, as found in the GH4/5/5S wasn't, which is why even though it could be recorded in-camera on the GH4 most users abandoned its use for internal and it's really only come into its own with the 10 bit internal recording of the newer cameras. Fuji's may or may not be - I don't know.

Hence for video on our Fujis it really does make sense to get the image in-camera as close as possible to what you want to see on the screen. Forget about reducing everything to a minimum and just adjust with that final look in mind (especially as the 8 bit codec won't withstand much grading anyway, before it begins to break up).

By the way - I'm not sure what you mean about the X-E3's 4K recording being different from the X-T2's. They use the same sensors and the same processors - in what way is it different?

Kong Pahurak likes this.
  5. Kong Pahurak

Kong Pahurak New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Tim! That's very helpful. The thing is I usual work with GH2's footage set at minus everything and it's quite fine for minor grading. But when I tried with XE3 especially for -4 Sharpness, I couldn't bring the sharpness back in post without artifact (while sharpness zero from SOOC gives me none). So I guess -2 or zero might be a way to go.

Anyway, about XE3 and XT2's 4K, from what I know, XT2's 4K crops the sensor a bit so it records in 6K then downscales to 4K, while XE3 (and XT20) uses something called pixel-binning (if I remember correctly), so they record with full sensor (no crop) but with less detail and more prone to artifact.

6. Tim Sewell

Tim Sewell Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Oh yes - I'd forgotten that bit.

Kong Pahurak likes this.