This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Velocette Venom

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by Rosedalelad, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Rosedalelad

Rosedalelad Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Well, there we were sitting outside a lovely country pub having lunch when we were suddenly inundated with bikers - easily 100 bikes and suddenly all was noise and chaos. I had taken my recently acquired Pentax 50mm f2 along together with my X-T2 hoping for some autumnal shots but no such luck today - instead I photographed the bikes!! Here is one I absolutely lusted after in the early 60s - a Velocette Venom.

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

Being effectively a 75mm lens on the X-T2 I couldn't get far enough away to frame this well and there was little time to focus but nevertheless, I'm quite happy with this image and quite impressed with the Pentax lens

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Larry C., Micky, Beaumont and 2 others like this.
  2. Phil_ATL

Phil_ATL Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Gosh, what childhood memories this brings back. Even in British Car and Motorcycle fairs, I never see a Velocette anymore.

Venom, Viper, Valiant, Veeline, Viceroy. Thruxton??

Phil

3. Rosedalelad

Rosedalelad Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

The Thruxton was THE one for me but totally out of my reach.

4. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I joined the West Riding Police Cadets in 1963, straight from school, along with my school chum and buddy Ian. We were in digs in Wakefield ... I had a BSA 350cc B31 and he had a Velocette Viper 350cc. We went everywhere on them ...

When we progressed to the Police Training School at Dishorth I bought a BSA A65L 'Lightning' and he a Velo Thruxton ... we went everywhere on them. The BSA was unreliable, the Velo not so. My BSA would leave the Thruxton behind on acceleration ... up to about 90mph when he would come past, snick it it to fourth, and disappear :eek:

We're still in touch. He still wishes he had his Thruxton ... I wish I had his Thruxton ;)

As an aside ... I was posted from the Training School (1966) to the small village of Hoyland near Barnsley, where I have friends to this day. I'm still known at 'Leetnin' there :)

Did my full thirty years, last day of work out on patrol on the BMW K1100LT with Rotherham Road Traffic. Been retired some 23 years now:)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  5. Larry C.

Larry C. Member

-Return to Top-

Andrew great shot.... thanks for sharing...

Micky, I drove a ('56) BSA B-33 for nearly 20 years...... very reliable compared to my mates on their B-34's ....... but they set the pace when traveling.. great sound as well.......

Good memories.......