This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Using a Canon macro lens on a Fuji X-T2

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10, X-T100' started by Bilgola, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Bilgola

Bilgola Member

-Return to Top-

I made the change to Fuji some years ago and now own an X-t1 and an Xt-2 plus lenses. Most of my Canon gear, lenses mostly was sold off, but I did keep my 7d body for use with a Sigma 105mm macro lens. The 7d is now defunct...its probably repairable but thats not an economical proposition.

My question is this: Is there an adapter out there that can couple that lens to my Fuji cameras? I realise it would be a manual solution...that doesn't worry me I found out early that manual is what works best
    in the world of macro.

Any observations appreciated, Mike

2. miccoc

miccoc New Member

-Return to Top-

Have a look at this :
    Please login or register to view links

3. magmouse

magmouse Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Does the Sigma lens have a ring to control aperture? A lot of Canon-fit lenses don't, as they assume aperture is controlled from the camera. If it does, and it works mechanically (i.e. you can control the aperture even when the lens isn't connected to the camera) then you can use a cheap, 'dumb' adapter with no electronics, like this:

Several makes are available, all much the same, and you can get them from Amazon, eBay, camera stores, etc. I like the K&F Concept ones which have reasonably good build quality for a low price, but you can pay more for better build quality.

If the lens has no aperture ring, then you can only use it wide open, which is not really useful for macro work. You could sell the lens and get an old manual focus lens - good macro lenses from the era of film photography/SLRs are available for not too much money. The Tamron 100mm macros are very good and popular, but there are many others. Use the same type of adaptor to fit your Fuji cameras - of course, you need the right type according to the mount of the lens you get. They are available for all the camera mounts (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc...).

4. apsphoto

apsphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There are auto versions out there, I have the Fringer which has a Pro version which has an electronic aperture ring that makes it like using a Fuji lens. The adapter allows autofocusing, it provides the correct lens information so that the camera records it and allows you to set aperture or have it in auto. Brought new life for a couple of Canon lenses that I own.

Alan

5. Bilgola

Bilgola Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks very much guys, really appreciate your input.

Miccoc, I followed the link you gave me and found, for me a new name "Steelsring", I couldn't find much evidence of it being sold in Australia but it is available from the USA. However a little too expensive for me at this time. I also came across the "Fringer" as Alan owns, this seemed very similar in what it can do but again very expensive. Further I came across comparisons of both manufacturers. Unfortunately, Magmouse the the Sigma lens doesn't have and aperture control...so that kind of snookers me. I think I will end up selling the lens and then maybe looking for another that has aperture control...either that or save up for a Fringer or Steelsring.

But this conversation has opened another option. I also discovered the Rokinon 100mm f/2.8 Macro Lens for Fujifilm X. Until this discussion I didn't know about this possibility, it was off my radar...at US$479 it sounds do-able. I have no idea if this is any good, but I do own a Rokinon 12mm which is a delight to use on my X-T2. So I thinkI will start researching...it you guys have any thoughts I would be most grateful
    to hear from you?

Thanks again for your advice to date, this forum is a mine of gold.

Mike

magmouse likes this.
  6. magmouse

magmouse Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have no experience of the Rokinon 100mm, but I seem to remember reading good things about it. A search on the forum and the wider net should produce some views from people who have used it. You might prefer the option of getting a new lens, but I wouldn’t rule out adapting an older macro lens - you should be able to get something very good for significantly less money than the Rokinon. You might want to start a new thread asking for advice on this in the adapted lens sub-forum, where you’ll catch the attention of some very knowledgable members who will be able to guide you. There may even be a thread on this topic already if you search.

Good luck with finding what you need!