This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Unsharp 56mm F1.2

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by jujulips, Sep 12, 2017.

1. jujulips

jujulips New Member

-Return to Top-

Dear All,

I recently bought a Fuji X-T2 with a 56mm 1.2

I have to admit that I am disapointed with the shrapness ... My 7d with 50mm F1.4 was really sharper.

Can I check with you if i'm just beeing a pixel peeper, or if I should really return my lense for calibration.

This is a 100 prct Crop of a non treated Raw File :

F1.2 (AF on the eye)
    ISO 200
    SS 1200

Thanks for your support,

Cheers

v2.jpg

2. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Before we can tell, it would be better to have a sample that doesn't have as much depth like this. When focusing on faces at 1.2 I have had soft images simply because the DOF so razor thin it has to be perfect. The entire image looks soft. A 100% crop is going to make it look softer. A better test would be to FILL the FRAME like this and then focus on the eyes. It is not uncommon to be doing portraits at 1.2 and it looks sharp until you crop at 100%. You may have been focusing on the eyes but the camera may have focused on something else.

Just not enough here to go on to tell you if you have a bad copy. I get this all time and it doesn't have anything to do with the lens but user error. Take a picture of a brick wall with the camera on a tripod.

3. jujulips

jujulips New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks, I will do and reup tomorow =)

4. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A retry should tell us more. I too have a 56 and it certainly is possible to direct focus at a particular point and have the camera grab focus just a bit off that point. With this image it is a bit of speculation, but I wonder if the camera isn't focused more on the nose. That's certainly in a plane of focus that would leave the eyes outside the DOF at this distance. Your model has such smooth lovely skin it's a bit difficult to "guess" accurately, but try a bit of sharpening and see if the skin pores don't stand out a bit - but don't show the model - nothing like picking something apart but that is the danger of pixel-peeping :(.

I used to have a mannequin head that was used for manual focus practice with my film portrait camera. If you do a lot of portrait photography, you might look for one (a three dimensional head). I've found a photograph very useful for face/eye recognition practice/understanding, but I think to really understand the AF system, it needs to be 3-D. As I use my 56 more and more, I'm going to have to go that route. The AF system on the mirrorless cameras behaves slightly differently than on a DSLR, when we are talking DOF ranges of mm then I think a bit of practice is worth the investment.

Roger

5. jujulips

jujulips New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello I just wanted to send you that RAW file as another example.

I am talking about that blurry effect Im getting. It is present on every picture I take, regardless of the shutterspeed so I dont think it is coming from movement.

And if I would have missed the focus I would expect part of this picture to be sharp, or am I missing something ?

Thanks a lot for your time helping me out.

Please login or register to view links

6. archi*dss

archi*dss Premium Member

-Return to Top-

try an other lens to narrow things down to see if it is the lens, the camera or something else.
    Try using the mechanical shutter and flash.

7. minor7flat5

minor7flat5 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Another vote for considering the razor thin DOF. Whenever I use the 56 wide open, I get a whole collection of portraits with the wrong thing in crisp focus, and the eye 1mm away out of focus. Happily I do get many with the near eye in focus, but sometimes it might focus on eyelashes or something else.

8. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Here's a few 100% crops at 1.2 made with a 16mp x-e2 for comparisons. Perhaps it will help. I've always felt it's a great lens wide open and even better stopped down. Your sample does look soft but there could be many reasons for that as other posters have mentioned.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. bacil

bacil Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Miss focus due to thin DOF will still result in a sharp area somewhere, although it may not be the area we want :) If the whole picture is not sharp, may be a handshake. Try it on a tripod with a static object first.

CWRailman likes this.
  10. Globares

Globares Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Jujulip,

If that's the best you can get return or repair the lens right away. There's something wrong with the lens or/and the AF system in your camera. You can use manual focusing to figure out where's the problem; XF56 is a vary sharp lens, f1.2:

11. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi,

I've looked at this image, opened it with my standard workflow in LR and again using X-transformer RAW to dng which is typically my sharpest RAW deconvolution. Both images look quite good. It's still a bit difficult to tell for sure, but it's a nice picture of a beautiful model.

What I do see, is this is an image, well exposed at 1/240s, a bit of crop room above the head and feet, so not your full sized face, full frame image. I'm also able to see a lot of detail in the fabric of the model's blouse and fibers in the rest of her clothing.

I think you are trying to resolve fine detail at a distance that others show in their headshots. This is a tough ask.

The model also appears to be moving. I'm just not convinced that the AF tracking system in any of these cameras can manage a few mm of DOF at this distance and at any speed. I haven't asked that of my camera (XP2) so I could be wrong, but in my experience a moving subject is a bit too demanding when I've tried this with other lenses - too demanding in this case of managing the DOF/focus at f/1.2.

If this subject is somehow static, I still think other tests are needed because of her distance from the camera.

Roger

12. mikegee

mikegee Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A lot of times when the entire image is soft like (nothing looks sharp) that it's camera shake. Try with tripod and see if you get same results.

CWRailman likes this.
  13. mmalia

mmalia Member

-Return to Top-

Something is definitely off. Impossible to say if it’s user or equipment though. Even though the lens has a very shallow depth of field, even when I miss my focus spot something is always in focus, somewhere. The only time I have had his happen on an X-T2 with this lens is with movement on my part but if you say all your shots are like that I find that weird. I hope you find a resolution because it’s a fantastic portrait lens!

14. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There's zero margin for error at F1.2, if give the lens a thorough test by walking around the house and garden taking snaps of everything and anything, play with the lens, play with manual focus - zoom in and carefully place the focus. Make sure you shoot when there's plenty of light and a fast shutter around 1/400 to ensure there's no chance of induced blur or softness from higher Iso.

You'll soon see if the lens is sharp or not or if something is amiss elsewhere.

15. mugmedia

mugmedia Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you're concerned about how it looks on the forum (as opposed to the original OOC pics), I've found that even uncropped images do appear softer on here. A 100% crop multiplies that softness. Many times I've observed that those hosted on flickr seem sharper than attachments uploaded here. But anyway, otherwise, some good advice posted above.

16. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There is no way from what we have seen you can make a judgment this lens is bad. This is bad advice at this point right now.

trainer likes this.
  17. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I found that when using the 56 it is important to know exactly where your focus point is and make sure it is locked onto whatever you want to focus. This only works with single point focus and I always focus on the eyes. When using it wide open, if the camera moves in the slightest after you have locked focus by half pressing the shutter then it will be out of focus. Whenever I want to shoot wide open I use it on a monopole. Anything else I feel comfortable shooting hand held. BTW in your next test shoot RAW plus JPG and do a comparison to see how the camera applied processing handles the image and see how the JPG image looks.
    This first shot was at f1.4.
    This was shot at f8
    This at 5.6

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    trball likes this.
  18. mmalia

mmalia Member

-Return to Top-

That’s a good point. I always use single point with this lens. I’ve never used zone on this particular one, I’m curious now what effect it would have. Great pics by the way, the 1.4 is my favorite.

19. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have found my 56mm f1.2 to be quite sharp.

20. clipper

clipper Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What are the jpgs like?