This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Travel kit options .. what would you bring?

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by Sean73, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Alfred Eyesenstadt

Alfred Eyesenstadt Premium Member

-Return to Top-

+1 on this option. IMHO, I find that traveling light with gear fosters much more energy for better shooting and for more fully experiencing the trip itself. This is why I will be abandoning my past routine of bringing my X-T1 w. 10-24 and 56 to annual trips to Thailand, and will try bringing my X100T and WCL instead - and even forgoing just the body and 18-55.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Sean73 likes this.
  2. Alfred Eyesenstadt

Alfred Eyesenstadt Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Checked out your website - great, great stuff! Beautifully shot and beautifully processed!! I especially loved your Pride Parade photos, particularly as I've shot the last 2 in New York, and realized the incredible shooting ops there. I had posted some of my own shots from this year's parade here on this forum, and a huge controversy arose around the content: Please login or register to view links

Good luck on your trip, and I'm anxious to see what you come back with!

3. bacil

bacil Premium Member

-Return to Top-

After looking at your gallery, I don’t think I am in the position to give you advice. Haha they are great shots.

Sean73 likes this.
  4. Sean73

Sean73 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Hey Alfred thanks so much for your comments. I really dig your NYC pride photos. They are more revealing but that is what many pride parades around the world are about... freedom of the surpressed. We are all photographers on this forum and our goal should be to capture moments as they are and without discrimination. They are just moments in time that we choose capture. People are people and here are some of the things they do. Keep up the good work work mate. Cheers!

fugu 82-2 and Alfred Eyesenstadt like this.
  5. Sean73

Sean73 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yes... maybe I should have purchased the X100 instead of the 16mm! The x100 is on the list to buy. It may change my travel experience.

6. Sean73

Sean73 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yea haha .. I was going to retort:) however I understand your point and appreciate your comments. It helps to hear others perspectives.

YogiMik likes this.
  7. Sean73

Sean73 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

8. Sean73

Sean73 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

All good and well thought out points. Thanks for posting

9. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Excuse the poet . . . sometimes an artist uses a strong form to pass the message successfully :cool:

10. Pic

Pic Active Member

-Return to Top-

You have some atonishing photos. I like them a lot, and the processing too.

Alfred Eyesenstadt likes this.
  11. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sean, your SmugMug site is very impressive - mostly due to your excellent images !! But also due, somewhat, to the very nice presentation. Are you running some kind of custom built, third party web-code - or were you able to set up your web presentation using only SmugMug's standard tool kit?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Sean73 likes this.
  12. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Another +1. The last two major trips I've done with my XE2 and either my XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 (for lightest weight when hiking) or my XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 (when traveling by auto). No tripod, no flash. It was very liberating for me, compared to the past when I was constantly fishing around in my camera bag, swapping out primes. On the walking trip, I didn't even take a camera bag, as my spare battery, lens wipes, and close-up ring fit in a little pouch on my backpack belt.

Truth-to-tell, I did actually also take my XC 50-230mm F4.5-6.7, but I just looked at some Lightroom statistics, and:
    The first trip, 4 weeks walking in France, out of the 500 'keepers' in Lightroom, only 38 were taken with the 50-230.

And the second trip, 3 weeks car-camping in the western US and Canada, out of the 429 images in Lightroom, only TWO were from the 50-230.

I will say this, the longer zoom did allow me to fill the frame with stained glass windows and architectural details in France, which was nice, but it would not have been a big deal if I didn't have it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Sean73 likes this.
  13. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

When I go hiking, I bring my camera, tripod, whatever lenses I might need, filters, etc. along with me. Sometimes, that's around 10kg in/on the backpack.
    Call me a masochist, but I only go hiking if there's a photographic goal that I want to achieve.

What for do we buy gear worth thousands of dollars if we end up only using it in our garden on our cats/kids?
    It's kinda ironic to hear all these recommendations towards the "cheap zoom" for such a "once in a lifetime" trip... (Sure, Sean will maybe go there again some day, but for me, I always expect to only be in a place once..)

You have to ask yourselves: Why do you tell someone to not bring the "best for the job" if you yourselves collect lenses like others collect shoes or handbags? :p

Sean73, LionSpeed and fzdp like this.
  14. Sean73

Sean73 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks so much for checking out the site and your generous comment. I did a custom smug mug site. I actually got the idea from Trey Ratcliffe’s site (if you haven’t seen it check it out). I love how he does the full screen photos on the main page. It really displays them well. It took me a while to figure out how to do it. I still want to work on my header to make it look more polished but overall happy with how it looks. Cheers!
    ch

15. wcowan

wcowan Member

-Return to Top-

I do a lot of travel and absolutely agree with Tillman_b. My kit has gone from ~6Kg down to just an X100F. I am far more mobile and relaxed and as a result come home with better photos than I did with my old kit. I will never go back to carrying multiple lenses when I travel.

Tillman_b likes this.
  16. Tillman_b

Tillman_b Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I think if your goal is to go out and have some great and unique photo opportunities, then it makes perfect sense to bring all the gear needed to get the best shots possible. For myself, I am often on trips with my family, so we are interacting with each other, experiencing the event or location, and the goal is to have a memorable experience for the sake of the experience, so packing a lot of camera stuff around often (for me) interferes with that goal.

17. Sean73

Sean73 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Update: I’ve been on the trip since Sept 2 and this is the kit I decided to take :

16mm 1.4
    35 F2
    18-55

I’m doing an overland trip with Oasis Overland. We are bush camping and staying in decent hotels (about 50/50). The journey is from Bishkek Kyrgyzstan to Ashgabat Turkmenistan. Check out the Oasis site if you are interested. I highly recommend if you are a bit of an adventure traveller. More than half our group is over 50 years old so it’s not that tough.

The gear has served me well so far. I wish I had my 10-24 but it broke right before I left (argh!). The 16 howeveris great for low light and wide shots of all the wonderful architecture. Not so good for street shots though (for my style). The 18-56 is on 90% of the time. The 35 is good for portraits but haven’t done that many. Tourists are rare here so we are like a side show and always have attention. People don’t want their photos taken .. especially women of course so I don’t even try. I feel very safe in these countries and everyone has been very nice, curious and welcoming. It is cheap as chips here as well eg nice full dinner with wine for $10. Cheap good mea for $2.

I have a 30L Peak Design backpack but I am carrying my gear for day walks in a Thinktank retro 6. I use this bag at home and on the road a lot and it serves me well. Can hold all the gear, water bottle and small 30cm tripod.

If you would like more info I’m happy to share.

Cheers

BloodNGutsMurphy and Tillman_b like this.
  18. BloodNGutsMurphy

BloodNGutsMurphy Active Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the update. I am thinking to upgrade my 16-50mm to the 18-55mm and then take the 35mm f1.2 7Artisans for night. No Fuji primes interest me after being spoiled with Sigma's small 30mm f1.4 (for M43 and E mount). I hope Fuji camera sales perk up by 20% so Sigma start making lenses in FX mount. A fast focusing f1.4 is missing imho.

Sean73 likes this.