This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Totally Disenchanted with Fuji Quality Control

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by DaveRosser, Nov 7, 2018 at 6:59 PM.

1. Bandje

Bandje Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Maybe this is also a bit country specific? I'm in the Netherlands and I think when I sent my camera in for repair, it was sent to Germany? Great service, a loan camera is available if you ask for it, and you get the camera back in about a week, maybe 10 days , I think (which I think is actually quite a good timespan). One time, when I had to send a camera in for repair and definitely needed a loan camera for an urgent photography job, they arranged for it to be picked up at my house the same day (I called them around 15:00, 16:00 the truck was at the front door), and sent a replacement the next day. Quite good, all in all. Mind you, I do usually send the camera directly to Fuji, not through a store.

As for repairs on Fujifilm stuff. Yes, I do send in a camera from time to time, but I must admit I abuse them a bit as well. I've taken the X-T1 and X-T2 on backpacking trips in the rain and dust, and use them a lot for watersports photography. I also change lenses a lot, and at one time Fuji replaced the sensor for the price of a cleaning (as they couldn't get it clean either). At one time, I got an SD card stuck in the X-T1. Both of the times repairs were done quickly and the bill wasn't outrageous. On a score of 5 X camera's over a span of 6 years, this doesn't seem too bad (but I guess this is relative).

2. kcg

kcg Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have used Fuji repair service in NJ twice for my X-Pro1 and was extremely pleased with the service. My complaints with Fuji, as I have many times stated is extremely poor quality control. Their testing prior to releasing a new product is either very poor, lack of knowledge by x-photographers or Fuji not listening to said photographers. Fuji has duped many users with their firmware updates. Why do they not take the time to do it right prior to release. Sorry fanboys, but as a business man my job is to satisfy my customers and not tell them not to worry,some where down line I may fix the problem (i.e. XT lockup’s since release of XT2). Yes I understand there are users that have not had the problem, as well as many other failures noted in this forum. I love my X-Pro and lenses as well as my XT2. Fortunately I have not experienced lockup’s but at the moment unwilling to upgrade to a XT3 or XH1. With Canon and Nikon now getting into mirrorless, and they no doubt will get better, Fuji has to up their game.

YogiMik and kerrydeare like this.
  3. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Not to totally redirect this thread, but, regarding in-house QC.
    Back in the day, the (bigish) company I worked for realized that costs and schedule time could be saved my "Ship it today. If the customer complains, go out and fix it." (It was large machinery.)
    Management had the belief that "The more time we spend in-house inspecting finished product, the more problems we find." It was their way of saying that our QC people had become too demanding over the years, and that some customers would simply learn to workaround whatever problems we shipped them.

*I have no idea whatever, if this is also true of Fuji business thinking.* But ...... maybe yes, maybe no.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 11:39 AM
    YogiMik and Rubyjon like this.
  4. Rubyjon

Rubyjon Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I concur with Leona1945 on this one having also worked for a global company with a first class reputation in a similar field who employed the same ethos.

5. DaveRosser

DaveRosser Member

-Return to Top-

Well, venting my frustration here seems to have worked :). I collected my repaired camera this morning, Fuji (or maybe Fixation) have replaced the main-board and the camera now seems to be working properly. Thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions.

Dave

trainer, Mike Gorman and YogiMik like this.
  6. Threaded

Threaded Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It won’t be anything to do with Fixation (unless Calumet have chosen to use them for some reason) - Fuji have their own excellent repair facility in Bedford, where most EU repairs are carried out (at least for the moment, who knows how Brexit will impact this).

I would definitely cut out the middle man next time and just go straight to fuji with any future problems.

Mike Gorman and tijuana taxi like this.
  7. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have to endorse what Threaded has said!

8. DaveRosser

DaveRosser Member

-Return to Top-

Fixation and Calumet UK are both owned by Wex Photo Video and all the paperwork I saw was headed Fixation. That said I gather Fuji were in the loop somewhere to approve the warranty repair, whether Fixation sent it to Fuji or did it themselves is still unclear to me.

9. Threaded

Threaded Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ah - so as far as repair time is concerned it sounds like your beef is with Calumet/fixation, not Fuji. Still a shame the repair was needed of course.