This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Totally Disenchanted with Fuji Quality Control

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by DaveRosser, Nov 7, 2018 at 6:59 PM.

1. DaveRosser

DaveRosser Member

-Return to Top-

In September of this year I bought a new X-Pro2 to replace my X-Pro1 from Calumet (Bristol). It got little use for the first month because I went to Italy on holiday and decided to not take it. After 200 or 300 shots I noticed that the camera would only fire with a card in both SD card slots, I was slightly puzzled but assumed this was normal. Then real trouble the camera suddenly would not save a picture to either slots and when I tried to format a card, though the display said the card was formatting, the card did not in fact get formatted - the normal file structure was not written to the card. Of course I had just missed the statutory 1 month window for rejecting the goods as not fit for purpose and when I took it back to Calumet they insisted on sending it back to Fuji for a Warranty repair. That was two and a half weeks ago and there is no sign of the Camera being returned. When I inquired today they extended the loan period for the XT-2 they lent me as a stand in till the end of the month and muttered about maybe Fuji had to get parts from Japan. As far as I can see looking at camera tear downs on the web the SD card module, which is presumably where the fault lies, is soldered to the motherboard so the repair may be a complete motherboard replacement.
    As you can imagine I am not happy and would chuck my Fuji if I did not have so much invested in lenses.
    Has anyone any experience of how long a major repair like this is going to take?

Dave

kcg likes this.
  2. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Dave, I’ve had a similar experience as detailed below. For me the total silence to queries by Fujifilm was the deciding factor for me, so I took the financial hit and jumped ship.

“The last of my Fuji gear was picked up by courier today for sale. If you look at my avatar photo you will see the the Fujifilm logo has been blacked out!
    I got fed up with the unreliability of Fujifilm cameras(X-T2 and X-H1) breakdowns, lockup’s and factory resets to a three week old X-H1 + freezes was the last straw, so I decamped to MU-43. This was an expensive exercise but the LUMIX G9 is I believe a step up in lots of ways to my old X-H1! Also the Panasonic Leica optics are superb. Another consideration was the lack of response to mine and others problems from Fujifilm, even their own support staff couldn’t understand the Fuji silence!
    Please understand this is my personal journey and YMMV”
    This was an answer I posted earlier today to another topic when asked why I jumped to an MU-43 system.

kcg and JimFenner like this.
  3. versesinanelegiacmetre

versesinanelegiacmetre Member

-Return to Top-

Have you looked on the UKs Money Saving Expert site at what rights you have under customer law?

Here's a cut from the page at the link below.

"If......the repair or replacement isn't possible or it hasn't been carried out quickly enough you're then entitled to ask for a refund – this could be the full amount within the first six months, or otherwise is likely to be a partial refund".

Link:
    Please login or register to view links

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 7:57 PM
  4. vague_logic

vague_logic Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've only had good service and rapid turnaround the two times I have used the UK Fujifilm support. In neither case was the cause down to quality control in the manufacturing of the product either.

5. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Agreed that sounds like very bad customer support.
    Despite that you missed a 30 day window, the camera was not used very much. I feel the seller should have given you a new camera and slug it out themselves with Fuji. I assume they are an "authorized" Fuji retailer; they would have more more "clout" to get Fuji to make amends.

Aside: the warranty should be something like "30days or XXXX shutter clicks, whichever is longer".

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 4:41 PM
  6. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Very strange, have you tried to ring Fujifilm UK and ask what the problem is.
    From my experience they are very approachable and answer the telephone promptly.

Often problems are exacerbated when a third party is involved in these repair scenarios.
    Happened to me with John Lewis and Samsung, thought my Galaxy 7 phone was being repaired, but turns out it was lost.
    Ended up with a new phone and a compensation gift voucher, but it was less than straightforward

When my X-Pro2 needed a new eyecup and viewfinder assembly Fujifilm UK did it whilst I waited.
    Went off for lunch, two or three hours later it was done, they even offered me use of their staff restaurant.

Give them a call direct and get it straight from the horses mouth if I were you.

7. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It is very seldom to hear any complains from X-Pro2 users.
    Usually, it is from X-T2, X-H1, and X-T3 now, that I constantly see complains to the point,
    that I discourage everyone to buy those mentioned cams.
    But, X-Pro2 seems to be the most reliable camera.
    As for UK service, I sent from Norway every Fuji camera I bought, only once,
    usually after 2-3 months of use.
    They were manufacturing faults, and I had really rapid turnaround.
    After repair, all my cams work flawlessly.
    In X-Pro2, I also had the main board failure, and replacement.
    I also was seriously looking at the LUMIX G9, and realized, that beside some really nice features,
    a camera has some really serious shortcomings, that I can not accept.
    And I'd really not replace my Fuji for this. If one camera breaks down, I'll pick another.
    But, those motorized lenses are getting me worry increasingly,
    and I'm looking forward to gradually replace all this electronic junk into proper mechanical ones.
    I'm too poor man, to waste my money on expensive junk, and throw away lenses just after a few years of use,
    or to be bled constantly paying for expensive repairs.
    Hear me out Fuji . . . I know what you are to doing, to keep up with deceptive competition in race against the profit . . . the profit above all.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 11:50 PM
    LionSpeed likes this.
  8. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

X-T2 gone back to Fuji this last week for repair .... rear LCD screen working only when it felt like it :(

9. DaveRosser

DaveRosser Member

-Return to Top-

Wow - I m not alone, I will keep you updated on progress of lack of it.

10. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For the sake of balance so folks dipping a toe into the Fuji waters don’t get the impression all owners are frustrated by such experiences:

I’ve owned at least 9 Fuji X cameras in the past 5.5 years: x100s, X-E2, x100T, X-M1, X-Pro1, X-Pro2, and currently the X-T2, X-T20, and x100F. I am not a professional photographer but all of my cameras see regular daily use at work (veterinary medical photography) as well as personal and travel photography heavily biased toward outdoor rough and tumble activities in all weather conditions, and temperatures ranging from -35 to 35C. I have never had to return a single new camera because of a cosmetic or functional problem, nor have any of these cameras needed repair under warranty or beyond. I am fairly quick to switch to newer models when they come out, but this is never because of problems with the older ones - I’m just always seeking faster and more accurate AF for work with dogs and horses, and each new generation offers that. I drop my cameras on a distressingly regular basis and most of them have been kicked or otherwise battered by horses in some way. I have a fondness for weird perspectives and often set up my cameras in strange positions, and since I’m generally too lazy to get a tripod involved accidents sometimes occur. Though some of the bodies are more solidly constructed than others, so far I’ve experienced ZERO functional problems and surprisingly little cosmetic injury to any of my cameras. Prior to this I shot Canon almost exclusively, and had several cosmetic, mechanical, or electronic failures with them over the years. Honestly I didn’t consider this an unacceptable failure rate, either. In a way I’m surprised the Fujis have done so well since most are not built to a “pro” standard in terms of physical strength and durability.

TLDR - no problems with 9 Fujis and rougher-than-average indoor/outdoor all-weather amateur use.
    Now I suppose none of you will ever want to buy anything I post for sale in the Classified section. ;-)

11. Dan Hillier

Dan Hillier Premium Member

-Return to Top-

They gave you a loan camera? To me, that ranks them very highly.

It's only been two and half weeks, so I'd suggest just relaxing for a while. If it goes over 30 days, that's when I'd start getting curious.

YogiMik likes this.
  12. JimFenner

JimFenner Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I suggest thoroughly check that your SD cards are genuine and in good nick. (there are threads about this. I will only use SANDISK)
    Before anything, browse them in PC/MAC not with any photo utility to make sure there are no photos there !
    Then I suggest format them to the stated capacity in your PC/MAC
    If 32G cards or smaller, I'd guess without checking format to the FAT32 file system, if > 32G capacity maybe it's XFAT I'll leave you to verify that
    Fake cards might be marked 32G but actually be 15-16 G you see where I'm going

After you get the camera back, check the level of firmware. I have X-Pro2 and I have had no trouble with latest v5.
    Check absolutely all functions and write down anything out of spec, in worst (best?) case this would (re)start the process for a full refund or replacement. Or it could just work perfectly, I wish you may years of pleasure, my XP2 has been a trooper and a joy to use.

13. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I had the same issue on the X-T1 until I figured out that the eye cup was moving and blocking the eye sensor so the camera was thinking it was up to my eye when it wasn't. Now when it happens I just push the eye cup back down to fox the issue.

14. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

- unrelated, but i'm getting tired of constantly seeing Fujifilm TV commercials for diet supplements :)
    .........and constant firmware "updates" that don't really state what they do.
    some people praise their steady flow of firmware "updates", but i'm not in that camp

only time will tell all...

15. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Having problems is frustrating. I just had a modifier melt from just the heat generated by a modeling lamp and the room was 70 degrees Fahrenheit last night. I'm just glad it wasn't over the subject when it separated :).

I agree that if the store has supplied you with a loaner, they are doing well by you.

The nature of a site like this is that every significant failure gets reported and, given how many members we have (and that many complaints are first time members who sought out the sight because they had an issue), I think the Fujis by and large do pretty well. Persistent issues, you will see, tend to get sorted with firmware fixes.

Perfect quality control isn't possible. Even NASA (US space agency) has failures. It is frustrating for sure.

16. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Not the case in this case though Richard .... the rear screen would would, or wouldn't work, as you moved it :(

17. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

We still don't know what is causing the delay, how long have Fujifilm UK had the camera?
    My advice to call Fuji direct still stands, not exactly definitive with vague mutterings from the retailer of parts possibly being needed.

I'm all for slating poor service, but this needs further clarification and personally don't think you should make these claims without the full facts

18. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I personally have no problem with the UK Fuji repair centre who turned around my X-T2 in approx 5 days, but Fujifilm Japan has to start talking to their customers regarding X-T2, X-H1 and now X-T3 problems!
    Staying silent about the problems of three of their major photographic products is unacceptable in the 21st century.

19. Threaded

Threaded Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I can’t help wonder whether Calumet have delayed something somewhere. Whenever I’ve needed a warranty repair (and I have, on a couple of different cameras) I’ve registered the repair direct with Fuji UK on their website - they send a box out to you with free postage, you send it in, and usually no more than a few days later you get it back, fixed. I’ve always found their service to be excellent - if you go to them direct.

Incidentally I agree that the X-Pro2 is generally a very solid and reliable camera. I did have cause to send it in recently (before the warranty ran out) because after +20k images the shutter button was getting a little loose so they replaced the top plate for me, but otherwise it’s been fine with zero lockups or any other problems over the past year.

20. FujiMongol

FujiMongol Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As long as they give me a replacement I would not bother.
    Unless I have to get a replacement more often, that would be another case.