This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The mark is back!

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by Wallace, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Wallace

Wallace Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

A short while ago a mark appeared on my old, trusty X-Pro1 sensor. For all intents it looked like a hair, which, I could not blow it away, nor brush it off nor swab it off and I came to the conclusion that it was under the sensor front glass.
    The camera went away to Fuji, who dutifully cleaned the sensor and lo and behold, the mark had gone...and I lived happily ever after until this week when another similar mark appeared.

It won't budge either.

I am curious if anyone else has had a similar problem as I am getting to the stage whether it may be a case of throwing good money after bad and it's time to treat myself to a new camera.

2. ToneXA1

ToneXA1 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi! The problem sounds familiar to me.

I had (have?) a problem on a X-A1 sensor as a dust particle (quite big) got under the sensor glass. It occasionally changed the position slightly, but could not be removed by any of the common sensor cleaning tools and methods. Than one day I had enough of it and performed a "controlled" bump of the camera in the direction parallel to the sensor plane. The shock therapy made the evil disappear! I do not want to say it is gone because I do not know if it left the camera. Could be that one day it finds again the gap in the sensor sandwich.

The shock therapy was a kind of an act of desperation and also the ultimate proof that I have to do with the dust is below the sensor glass, something that many people ensured me that it completely out of question. I do not say that it is what you have to do and that there could be no "side effects". Just make your own decision to do the same and - good luck!

3. GregWard

GregWard Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

The "debris under the sensor glass" issue does seem to have been come up quite a few times. Often it appears that Fuji don't take responsibility for it. That's something I simply don't understand. Of course it is possible that the issue is mis-reported. But, if there really is debris INSIDE the sensor assembly then I can only see this as a result of one of two things:

- There is meant to be a rubber grommet to seal off the space between the outer glass (the UV/IR "cut" filter) and the sensor itself. So if debris has got inside (post manufacture) then it would have to be because the grommet is not doing its job.

- Or - alternatively - the debris has always been there since time of manufacture (but maybe not previously visible) It is clearly possible for debris to move about inside the air gap and, therefore, to move from being visible in images to not being visible - or vice versa.

Now here's the thing - are these not the two obvious explanations and are they not both the responsibility of Fuji to fix?

From the pov of the OP - did Fuji clean the sensor or completely disassemble the sensor array (cleaning inside and outside)? If the former - maybe they co-incidentally moved the debris around rather than actually solving the problem "at source" (as it were)?

ToneXA1 likes this.
  4. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Send it back to Fujifilm. They should make it right. The longer you let it go - the less chance you have they will take responsibility and fix it at their expense.

kevistopheles and fugu 82-2 like this.
  5. Wallace

-Return to Top-

Well, having nothing to loose, I gave the camera a few sharp knocks on the base with my knuckles (it hurt) but the mark has shifted/disappeared... huwever I seemed to have gained another, more distinct mark, look like a hair close to where it was.
    I may just possibly take to to Johnstone's in Glasgow for a clean as sending it back to Fuji was a hassle.

I believe that Fuji gave it a "full service" what ever that meant and the mark was gone when it returned.

ToneXA1 likes this.
  6. GregWard

GregWard Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

If there are things on the sensor glass - then they can be cleaned in the normal way. But if they are inside the sensor assembly then they obviously can't be. Instead it needs a complete disassembly of the sensor array. There is a third option - which is that the flange distance on the Fuji X system is so short that debris on the rear of a lens can show up as marks on an image (though admittedly they are normally less distinct - as more out of focus).

7. Wallace

-Return to Top-

This is what I'm down to now. There is a dust spot top center and the hair lower left of that.
    The dust spot must be stuck on, as it didn't budge when I blew or swabbed the sensor glass.
    It's better than what it used to be!

Benarty sunrise, Hatchbank Road 002 copy.jpg

HAIR.jpg