This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The beauty of light

Discussion in 'Photo Critique Forum' started by flo12345, Oct 12, 2017 at 5:29 PM.

1. flo12345

flo12345 Active Member

-Return to Top-

this time I want to post a photo where I am asking for opinions what to do better. I'm struggling with myself whether or not the eye in the back should be sharp or if it is ok as is.
    I understand that those kinds of photos are probably personal preference but I'm very much looking forward to your thoughts.

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

2. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nobody can tell you what to do better because you have not stated your specific objectives for this image. What were you trying to achieve with this image? Once you provide that information then forum members can provide recommendations.

jknights likes this.
  3. rluetzen

rluetzen Active Member

-Return to Top-

Are you creating images for yourself or others? Personally I like it very much.......

4. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

It works.
    If your customer likes it then they pay.
    If it is a personal image and you like it then great.

Need a brief, or pre-conceptual thought to really judge.

5. Aureliano Buendia

Aureliano Buendia Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I like it.
    I think that the problem is not the eye in the back or the composition (very good) but a good amount of highlights... Too much for an high key.

6. mikegee

mikegee Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Don't like being able to see up the nose (hair) I would change the angle. Lighting is a personal thing if you like it go with it.

George Komiotis likes this.
  7. Woodworth

Woodworth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'd like to see both eyes sharp, the soft rear eye bothers me. I'd also prefer a slightly higher viewpoint to avoid looking up her nose. Lastly I think you've gone slightly too light with the nose blending into the background and the lips looking a bit too light.

Having said that, it's a really nice picture and apart from the above comments very nicely executed.

8. flo12345

flo12345 Active Member

-Return to Top-

Only non commercial. It’s more a passion for me....

9. Ignacio

Ignacio Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I would prefer to have the back eye sharp, and also to be able to see the tip of the nose.

10. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

In school (way back) we were taught that the eye nearest the camera should be sharp. High key and very high contrast (which this is both) was used in fashion a lot in the 80's & 90's as it hid flaws and really popped in print. It was, by design, almost devoid of facial details except for the most obvious like lips, eyes & brows, and cheek/jaw lines - if this is what you were going for you achieved it perfectly. I kind of agree that either a higher camera placement or having the model look downwards to avoid nostril shots is a good point, but if the angle is in part what you were after, then there is no crime in PP to smooth or remove the hair.

Nice shot, I like it a lot :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 4:35 PM
    jknights likes this.
  11. kiwitracks

kiwitracks Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I like your image a lot.
    And I'm definitely not bothered by the difference in focus for the eyes. That's what gives this flatly lit image some perception of depth. I wonder how this would look like as a very high contrast b/w image...

The reason I'm mentioning this is that I've done a similar treatment (albeit not quite as extreme as yours) in a recent shoot and found it most interesting in b/w. Highkey.jpg

jknights likes this.
  12. Keith Towers

Keith Towers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I like high key stuff. WorkS for me.