This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Beauly Firth in Inverness with 16mm F1.4

Discussion in 'Photo Critique Forum' started by Fraser, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Fraser

Fraser Member

-Return to Top-

A photo from last weekend up in Inverness.

What would you have done different? Pioner boats.jpg

2. rybolt

rybolt rybolt Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I might have moved a little to the right (if I could have done so and stayed dry) and cropped out the bridge while still centering the boat.
    That's a very nitpicky comment. It's a good picture.

3. BillC-PA

BillC-PA Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice image - love the 16/1.4. Perhaps increase the contrast as right now it appears a bit flat. BTW - we love Scotland! Our son worked in Edinburgh for a couple of years, and we visited him - only one time, but a trip we won't forget. Took day trips - up to St Andrews ... The Highlands .... fishing village (Oban?) ... walked along the North Sea in the rain and wind! ... we plan on returning, probably in 2020.

Angus likes this.
  4. Fraser

Fraser Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the reply and critique, i see exactly what you mean. Good advice:thumbsu:

5. Fraser

Fraser Member

-Return to Top-

Brilliant to hear, I love it here as well we really are spoiled with our scenery. Plenty more to discover in 2020!

6. LionSpeed

LionSpeed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice & peaceful capture. May I ask what body did you use?

7. Fraser

Fraser Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks, i use an XT-2

8. pipetman

pipetman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The orange boat provides a nice complementary contrast to the green in the background. The strip of grass and the trees in the background look a little desaturated, though (intentionally?). Maybe dial up the saturation for the greens a bit?

9. Angus

Angus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Fraser, maybe let the boat go past and take the photo with the bridge
    Good photo.
    You have a great combination of lens and camera

10. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Love the 16mm land and water shots. To me this is a perfect example for using the rule of thirds. I wouild have put the boat on the left third and the horizon, level, on the top third of the picture. You want the boat going into the imge. Otherwise the eye wants to go out of the image. Having the horizon on the top third helps keep your eye in the picture, too. I might brighten the image 10%.
    Best wishes,

runswithsizzers likes this.
  11. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was tempted to write a similar reply. While this one might be improved some by re-cropping it, I would mark it as a learning experience and, in future, try to avoid putting the subject and horizon on centerlines.

12. Chuck Carstensen

-Return to Top-

Yes, good point.

13. Fraser

Fraser Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll take that all on board and try playing with the thirds rule a bit more in the future.

14. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

i won't disagree that the rule of thirds has relevance for photography, but before you focus on it too much
    ..... a very well respected photographer once said : “consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk.”

my Q is :
    - would you have shot this shot if that orange boat wasn't passing thru the frame ?

regardless, with the boat in the middle of the frame it's too 'obvious' and for me it competes somewhat with the background panorama.
    otoh, that coastline wouldn't have inspired me to shoot it unless there was some more interesting colors or contrast in the sky to accompany it.

for me, it's an example of a landscape scene that looked better to the human eye than the camera lens. maybe that never happens to the more accomplished photographers, but it has happened to me //LOL//

15. Chuck Carstensen

-Return to Top-

There are rules of halves, fourths, fifths, eights, tenths, sixteenths (and more) as well.

16. Fraser

Fraser Member

-Return to Top-

I know exactly what you're saying. I only took up photography a couple of years ago and i am still learning the basics of it. I like to read about everyone's thought processes on photographs so thanks for the comments.

No i wouldn't of shot it without the boat i dont think, i seen it coming in the distance so i stopped and got myself set up for it. I quite like the simplicity of it, but i know thats completely subjective :D

17. Ostracod

Ostracod Member

-Return to Top-

I would have put me there instead of you. It looks like a beautiful spot to visit!
    As for the image, to my eye it looks like its not quite level? I would try leveling it and cropping it a little closer to better define the boat as the subject (in keeping with simplicity). And as said earlier, moving the boat to the left so it appears to be entering the scene. But I rather like the water line near the middle as it shows off the symmetry of the sky and it's reflection in the water. I wouldn't crop it so much as to lose that. I like the relaxed mood, thanks for sharing.

18. pw-pix

pw-pix Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'd have tried to include the other end of the bridge, or left out the bridge.
    I'd also have tried to have to boat further to the left, to allow it room to move into the scene.

19. Ean50

Ean50 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

In this picture I think that sky is more interesting then lake. So, in any case ( bridge or not) I would consider to put more sky and less lake. Like 1/3 lake and 2/3 sky ??