This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Stonehenge

Discussion in 'General' started by arangast, Apr 7, 2017.

1. arangast

arangast Active Member

-Return to Top-

Despite living only an hour away for nearly 7 years now, I went to Stonehenge for the first time at the weekend.

All bar one were taken with the two XC lenses with B&W conversion in Silver Efex. The low key / underexposed styling was an experiment and I'm pleased with the results - C&C would be welcome though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few more on my blog here.

2. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

All very interesting and moody photos. I like the last one best, as it has a young human element that contrasts with the ancient abstract shapes of the stones.

Jason Leibowitz and Asmguy like this.
  3. rayvonn

rayvonn Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I know some people don't like comments like "Great Shots" but they really are! I often strive to get that high contrast mono effect and in this case its particularly appropriate, giving prominence to the main subjects and their surrounds.

Asmguy likes this.
  4. Asmguy

Asmguy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Love your processing on these very moody and appropriate for the subject, as previously said. The 1st and last shots are my favourites.

My only grumble with the first shot is the graduation in the sky might be overdone if you did it. Otherwise if it was natural I think someone else can carry the can :).

I'd be tempted to maybe crop half the sky off so horizon is on centreline .. just my preference.

5. arangast

arangast Active Member

-Return to Top-

She loves to pose for the camera so this was a rare moment when she didn't see me :)

Yes the B&W definitely made the subjects stand out a lot more compared to the original colour, especially using a colour filter (can't remember which!) to darken the sky and provide a better contrast with the stones.

It's a "natural" graduation, although I bumped up the contrast a little which intensified the effect. I see where you're coming from with the crop though, my original intent was to try and convey a bit more of the openness of the area the stones are in and that probably works better with a blue sky vs black.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Asmguy likes this.
  6. charlie3

charlie3 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A very effective use of NIK. With landscape, humans, excluding children, look so much better when they are burnt to a cinder :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  7. Woodlink

Woodlink Premium Member

-Return to Top-

last one is fav

8. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

minor7flat5 likes this.
  9. apsphoto

apsphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Interesting set of images, and an interesting process. For me, the first and last one work really well, but I don't think the others work as well. Just a different opinion.

Well done.

Alan

10. minor7flat5

minor7flat5 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I am envious of your photographs. Mine were taken long before decent digital cameras, with a Canon G1, and they show it. Don't know if I'll get back.

I was going to Cambridge for work in the middle of winter so I decided to take my wife to Salisbury to visit Stonehenge. It was a memorable experience: we landed at Heathrow at our 3am (8am local time) and the Hertz agent simply handed me keys and said to get on with it, with no "gringo's guide to driving on the left" or anything like that. Just stopping at the booth (on my right) to exit the parking lot was jarring.
    The drive to Salisbury was an hour or two of white knuckle driving, jet lagged, punctuated by getting lost in the complexities of British roundabouts.

We found a Home Depot in Salisbury and napped for an hour or two in the parking lot, where we felt we wouldn't be a danger to anyone, until our B&B would let us check in at 3.

The next morning we went to Stonehenge, and it was beautiful: a crisp cold January morning with relatively few people walking around to clutter the photographs. I was disappointed that they didn't let us very close to the stones, but it is understandable considering what people used to do there with hammers and chisels and such.

My last day in Cambridge it snowed while I was at work, covering all of the markings on the street and erasing any visual cues I had to drive sanely. Thankfully the bus driver who would have clobbered me head on must have known I was a yank from a mile off.

If I ever return, I'll follow Londoner's advice and try that special off-hours visit.

11. Price

Price Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Love low key, moody! The first and last one stand out, for me. Well done!

12. SilvioR

SilvioR Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The low key was a very wise choice, in my opinion, because transforms the other tourists in non diostracting shadows, keeping a very good atmosphere.
    I agree also with previous comments on the first and last pictures, excellent.

13. arangast

arangast Active Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the feedback guys!

It would be great to do the Stone Circle access some time, maybe next year when the sun is still rising late enough...

14. Tokyo-in-Pics

Tokyo-in-Pics Active Member

-Return to Top-

Those shots are very "WOW" in my opinion!

DaHolder likes this.