This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Solar Eclipse Setup

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by BoomerM3, Aug 11, 2017.

1. BoomerM3

BoomerM3 New Member

-Return to Top-

So, I have everything ready for the eclipse. I went out with my Solar Lens filter, X-T2, 100-400 lens and extender. I set the camera to f/8.0, 1/125th, ISO 200, manual focus, 3-shot AE bracket, CH, and handheld a few shots.

What I discovered is that I can't determine the focus. The focus distance and DoF indicator is not visible in manual focus. I cannot use auto-focus, and I can't see anything on the sun to manual focus on. There is no distance scale on the 100-400. I'm only trying to get the focus set to infinity.

How do I display the focus distance? I must be missing something.

Do the rest of my settings sound reasonable?

2. apsphoto

apsphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You have to use manual everything and turn on highlight peaking. With it zoomed in you can see the outer edge and the focus highlights. Lately there is a sun spot visible. If you set the X-T2 to shoot the bracket as a continuous block you can leave the speed to single shot. At the focal length you are looking at you need to use a very sturdy tripod. If you are in an area or will be with totality the exposures change dramatically and while the sun is fully eclipsed you do not use the filter, only while the sun is visible. You did not say what extender, that will matter. A 3 shot bracket is not enough to cover the gamut with totality. A tracking mount will work the best, there will be movement of the moon and sun between shots.

Things like Bailey's beads and diamond ring need very fast exposures and to capture the prominences on the limb are very fast shutter speeds. The corona will need longer shots, up to a few seconds or longer depending on what you are looking to cover.

Alan

fugu 82-2 and redshifted like this.
  3. Doug Pardee

Doug Pardee Active Member

-Return to Top-

MF Distance Indicator option in Disp. Custom Setting?
    Please login or register to view links

Not sure I'd rely on that display, though.

4. X-Carey

X-Carey Member

-Return to Top-

Definitely need tracking if you're doing the Total at 840mm equiv.

5. redshifted

redshifted Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've always used MF zoomed in as far as possible to achieve sharp focus on the edge of the solar disk (or any sunspots if you're lucky)...

SolarEclipseSunspotsOne.jpg

XPro1 and XF55-200mm cropped square from a partial solar eclipse in 2014.
    EXIF tells me it was 1/500s at 200mm and f7.1 at ISO 200. It was taken using a Baader White Light Visual Strength Solar Filter on a tripod in Spotmeter mode for exposure.

Clear skies!
    Ed

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    apsphoto likes this.
  6. ronsxpro

ronsxpro Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Wouldn't just setting the manual focus to the infinity mark work? Would you still need a filter with an 80% eclipse?

7. redshifted

-Return to Top-

How much detail do you want to see in your pic?
    The infinity focus mark might be close enough at f8 but that hasn't been my experience at the longer zoom settings.
    The exposure without a filter at 80% might work but it's likely to be blown-out highlights.

8. X-Carey

X-Carey Member

-Return to Top-

Those were some great sunspots! [​IMG]

9. redshifted

-Return to Top-

And the cloudless sky didn't hurt either :D.
    Nice pic! You even got some faculae.

10. X-Carey

X-Carey Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks, but I was using an 8" scope at the time.
    Here's what might be more applicable, since I've been recently doing test runs for the eclipse with my X-T20. One image shows full frame using a 400mm (600 equiv) Canon lens f/5.6. The larger one is full frame using 1.4x extender for 840mm equiv @ f/8.
    I think the latter will work and still have enough room for the corona. Sorry, they are vertical shots, not centered and it's hard to tell the 3x4 frame size since it's all black. Oh well.[​IMG][​IMG]

11. apsphoto

apsphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

80% you still need a filter. Way too bright. 97% can still damage your eyes, especially magnified. The filter also removes the IR and UV as well which can be quite intense from the sun.

Alan

fugu 82-2 likes this.