This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

So, how useful is this technique? Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by dream3, Apr 17, 2017.

1. dream3

dream3 Member

-Return to Top-

Basically separating the focusing part from the shutter button. Back-button focusing. In the video he says it is beneficial cause you can alternate between AF-S and AF-C seamlessly.

What do you think? Worth spending weeks with this setup trying to make it second nature?

2. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

Been using it forever. Can't operate any other way.

tbhv55 and Daves3222 like this.
  3. gerlofhoekstra

gerlofhoekstra Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I found it very useful when using Nikon.
    Tried it on Fuji (X-T1, X-PRO2) but somehow Fuji can't manage to implement it as good and simple as Nikon.
    I stopped using it.

RichL likes this.
  4. StephenL

StephenL Pixel scutcher

-Return to Top-

Tried it on Olympus with some success, but found it counter-intuitive on the Fuji. Besides, I will not have some stranger TELLING me to do anything. Ask me to try it, yes, but tell me, no way.

5. Mahasamatman

Mahasamatman Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I use it all the time on my 7D mk II but the controls on my Pro-2 don't fall readily to hand for it and the AE-L button isn't raised which adds to the difficulty. So I don't bother and stick with the standard controls. The two cameras are very different in handling so I don't suffer any control confusion which I thought would be the case.

6. PatrickP

PatrickP Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Same here. Have been using that technique for years on my Nikon cameras. But the buttons on the Fujifilm cameras are to hard to find to keep on using it.

nwcs likes this.
  7. ErikN

ErikN Active Member

-Return to Top-

Using it on my Fujis. Can't go back to focusing with the shutter button

tbhv55 likes this.
  8. nu2digital

nu2digital Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I always used back-button focus with my Canon 5D3 since AF-S was no more precise that AF-C. That way, like Tony says, I could leave the camera in AF-C and use back-button focus to get AF-S. The only downside is that if friends and family shoot with your camera then their pictures will all be out of focus. ;-)

With my Fuji X-T1 the AF-S is noticeably more precise than AF-C, so I still switch to AF-S when the subject is static. I think that when mirrorless AF-C closes the gap a bit more with AF-S then I will be ready to switch to using back-button AF again.

John

9. GDRoth

GDRoth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

On my XP2, I raised the AFL button (using Sugru) and ALWAYS use back button focus

10. nwcs

nwcs Former Gear Addict

-Return to Top-

I used it exclusively on Nikon for many years and, at first, I was excited to try it on the T2. The problem for me is the T2 is too small, the button isn't placed very well for my thumb and is too small. So I don't use the functionality on the T2.

11. 5280Pics

5280Pics Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Made the switch on my Canon gear, years back, and have not switched back since. One of the first settings I looked for when I bought the XT-2.

tbhv55 likes this.
  12. Blazer

Blazer Fuji Commander

-Return to Top-

X-E2 here... frequently shoot in maual focus mode, using AF-L button for back focus... no interest in fast switching between single/continuous focusing.

13. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Two things may help. You can switch the functions of the AFL and AEL buttons. And you can put something on the buttons to raise them. Sugru is a very good way to do this. I have done both of these hacks and they made all the difference.

14. pandoraefretum

pandoraefretum Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I used to, then I stopped for a while now I'm starting to again thx to a blob of Sugru on my XPro2

15. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It seemed natural to work this way on my Nikon bodies and one of the "advanced" features implemented on "pro" bodies in that system that prevented me from using the "amateur" systems.

My hands are large and long fingers, I just could not make my hands and the button placement on the Fuji systems work.

I'm 70 plus and I've lost some tactile touch feeling in my fingers and there is that nagging bit of arthritis. It somewhat amuses me that my generation is one that supposedly "appreciates" the retro design of the Fuji X system, yet the designers and engineers have overlooked the small changes that could make this a better experience for some of the "targeted" buyers. Nikon's button position and feel will always be natural for me, I doubt that button placement falls under patent restrictions. For me the flush buttons are just not findable and having to "pull" my thumb "back" to position it over that unfindable button is just plain painful. A pill helps, but I don't want to medicate to take pictures. :( .

16. dream3

dream3 Member

-Return to Top-

Why not set it for the front button (drive settings) right below the shutter button?

rixpix and Tord like this.
  17. ryanlio

ryanlio Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use this technique to quickly switch from single point to continuous just by switching between MF and C focusing ring. This way is the fastest way rather then having to adjust the focus area to shoot .. only issue I have with the x-t2 is the back focus button afl is too small. Nothing sugru can't fix... Have fun shooting.

18. MikeHuff

MikeHuff Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I've shot with back-button focusing for what seems like forever. Its just second nature and for me, it gives me the best control of my situation. Someone mentioned that giving the camera to friends and family can cause a problem...well, I have a good solution for that (and it is especially so for the big 1Dxxx bodies I use); I don't. Actually, with the Fuji it's really easy, just flip the focus type selector back to AFS or C.

I have struggled with the button placement on the XP2 but I still find myself making mistakes in my focusing because my brain just expects me to have full control of the focus system.

This just might be the solution for me. I will give this a try. The other thing I just thought of is investigating if I can potentially set the AFL function to the click on the focus selector joystick. It fits the hand better, but I'd have to find an alternative way to lock the focus selection to stop it from moving around.

19. nwcs

nwcs Former Gear Addict

-Return to Top-

Yeah but it's still too small and fiddly for my taste. I just don't feel either are in a good place for natural thumb placement for me. I'm used to how Nikon does it on the professional DSLRs which always had the natural thumb position over AF-ON. It's fine, though, as I can adjust easily enough. At this point in the evolution of cameras I think AF-ON is a bit overrated.

20. Cats and Brews

Cats and Brews New Member

-Return to Top-

I used it on my D300 as well, and now on my X-T20. How is the Fuji implementation different?