This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Should you use a hood when shooting indoors with natural light?

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by comma, Dec 5, 2017.

1. comma

comma New Member

-Return to Top-

I've honestly never really used a hood, for any reason. With the type of photography I have done in the past it just never seemed necessary. I know a lot of people use hoods all the time.

I am starting to do more product and food photography. Mostly indoors with natural light.

I'd prefer not to use a hood, but would you guys suggest using a hood in this situation?

I never shoot directly into the sun or anything like that.

Just curious. The 35 1.4 I have doesn't have the right hood and it doesn't stay on while I'm shooting. Trying to decide if it's worth buying the right hood.

2. Suz1ek1ns

Suz1ek1ns Member

-Return to Top-

I have always used a lens hood in any light. Something I was advised to do by a pro photographer when I started in photography.

Paul Levin and Shadowside like this.
  3. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

I can think of a couple of good reasons not to use a protective filter, I can't think of a single one for not using a hood!

4. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

I use a lens hood whether the light is in front of or behind me, because it helps reduce glare bouncing off objects and avoids image degradation,

jknights, Shadowside and Paul Levin like this.
  5. redshifted

redshifted Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Polarizer? Some deep lens hoods feature little doors at the lens end of the hood so you can get a finger on the filter ring to tweak the amount of polarization.

Shadowside likes this.
  6. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Lenses and coatings have gotten much better, so hoods are sometimes still needed but less than in the old days :).

Light sources which hit the lens but are not in the image are the biggest source of problem. This can lead to flares (pretty obvious) or a haze which reduces contrast (not always as obvious but does degrade image quality).

I tend to leave the hood on my 16, 18 and 35/1.4 because they are low-profile, look good, reduce the front profile, protect the lens and, yes, in a few cases, probably reduce flare. The 16 Hood is the one Fuji sells separately, not the one which came with the lens. These are my primary lenses for use outside the studio, which includes indoors with natural light.

I don't tend to use it on my 18-55, which mostly gets used in the studio, but I am in control of light sources there. If I have an issue, I set up a flag (more reliable than a hood).

So if you are aware of your light sources and working deliberately, I could see going without.

Fujiphotog likes this.
  7. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

I fit and align my pola, the reattach the hood. I may leave it on for several shots, or not, but the hood goes right back on.

redshifted likes this.
  8. Bill Ballard

Bill Ballard New Member

-Return to Top-

I've always used a lens hood, whether indoors in studio lights, (or a flag, as F2Bethere said above), indoors using window light, or outside in natural light.

9. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Using a hood seems to me like such a simple way to avoid some fingerprints and all kinds of other stuff.

10. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

I agree with what you are saying for your studio shoots, but the OP wants to shoot food with natural light, not with studio lights which he can control. If there are reflections from white china or a table cloth, cutlery or other metallic objects, or other light reflecting elements in his photos, and there is probably no room for a flag, I see no disadvantage in putting a hood on the lens.

11. rlewis

rlewis Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If for no other reason, the lens hood may save you an inconvenient mishap with the lens front element. It has saved me on more than one occasion. I never shoot without one attached, and not in backward storage mode. :)

Even indoors with natural light, you never really know what is possibly reflecting into the lens from the side.

12. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What you say makes sense with traditional flags. When I say flag, I mean anything opaque which can be placed between the light and the item you desire to protect. These can be as small as a business card and can be made of flexible materials such as art foam and cine foil. It can have a hole cut in it to shoot through. It can be placed in any position between the light source and the lens.

That which I am calling a flag can do a better job than any hood. A hood is made to be general-purpose and compact. A flag can be placed in any position by means of clamps, stiff wires, held in a hand, etc.

If you were thinking about 18x24 and larger sized studio flags, your suggestions make perfect sense. I should have been clearer in my earlier post.

To the best of my knowledge, specular sources not visible to the sensor but still striking the front element of the lens are the only ones to worry about in any scenario likely to occur.

I also see no "reason" for the OP not to use a hood, but I tried to answer within their stated preferences.

I don't use the hood on the 18-55 nor the 56 because I don't like the hoods. They are too bulky to stay on in a bag, they make the lens look huge, etc. Flare has not been a problem and the few times it has come up, I've used the traditional Ansel Adams method (my hat) or a hand to block the light. I can't say those are good "reasons" by anyone else's estimation :)

YogiMik likes this.
  13. cali92rs

cali92rs Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am not sure if I notice much difference in IQ, but a hood has definitely saved some damage when I carelessly bang my lens on something

Shadowside likes this.
  14. fatdeko

fatdeko Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As you get more info table-top/food/product photography, you'll find yourself using a lot more back lighting. A hood is a good thing in those situations.
    When you say you'd rather not use a hood, I get it: when you're walking around or doing Street stuff, a hood it's just another obnoxious thing that garners unwanted attention. But in a controlled studio type of situation, who cares?

Shadowside and Fujiphotog like this.
  15. wackou

wackou Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The hood increases a contrast and reduces glare, I'd always use it if possible.

jknights likes this.
  16. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I agree. I always use a hood.
    Try some tests with and without a hood you will see the difference. It is huge under some conditions and almost none under some conditions.

17. FujiMongol

FujiMongol Member

-Return to Top-

About XF 16 1.4 I'm doubting to buy the metal shorter hood. It's more practical for sure but does it 'hood' as well as the large plastic one?
    Any experience is very welcome.

[​IMG]

18. ruby.monkey

ruby.monkey Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Also makes for a cheap and easily-replaced crumple zone should one suffer a bad case of butter-fingers.

19. FMW

FMW Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The petal style hood shades the lens better but either one will serve the role of protecting the lens from potential damage.

20. redshifted

redshifted Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's what I do too but it's a pita :cool:.

Shadowside likes this.