This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Sd slot in xt1 damaged

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by dongamw2, Dec 3, 2017.

1. dongamw2

dongamw2 New Member

-Return to Top-

hi, i'd like to know if the sd slot in xt1 can be fixed, replaced ...
    i live in north africa,
    or if there's a grip with Sd slot on it

2. dongamw2

dongamw2 New Member

-Return to Top-

note:
    "the wires and things inside just got tired off cause i tried to take off the Sd card"

3. Hugh Jammer

Hugh Jammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What do Fuji say...?

4. dongamw2

dongamw2 New Member

-Return to Top-

Write error , no card

5. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

Anything can be fixed but it will be a job for a Fuji approved repairer not somebody playing around at home. You will need to get an estimate from Fuji or an approved repairer and decide whether the cost is worth it or whether you just buy another camera.

6. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No - there's no grip with a card slot available. Nor would it be possible to make one - the connections to the grip do not include ones for card reading. The only possible kludge might be to "tether" the camera to a computer. But this is unlikely to be a very useful suggestion in the real world.

Essentially you need to get the camera repaired or write it off I'm afraid. As @Richard_R says your best bet - by far - is to find an approved Fuji Technician. However, I do accept that this might be harder to do depending on where (exactly) in North Africa you live and how accessible an appropriate Technician is in your location?

To correctly repair the card slot it probably needs to be taken apart in order to access the inside of the card slot where the wires are connected. I suspect the repair itself would be fairly simple. It sounds as if a card got caught in the slot and pulling it out has ripped one or more wires loose? Hopefully it would be fairly obvious which wires need to be connected where? Although this would depend on how many have come loose and how many are completely pulled off etc. Either way I suspect the bigger task (probably by far) is taking the camera apart far enough to be able to easily able to re-attach the wires correctly and/or replace with a new card slot. I'm afraid I suspect this is quite a major job and, therefore, likely to be expensive. But it is the only way of doing the job properly. I think it is very unlikely you can access the broken wires/correct terminals with the camera fully assembled.

The only extra thing I would say (and please note this is not really a recommendation as such) would be what we call in the UK a "Heath Robinson" approach. It might be possible to carefully remove the other wires (taking really careful note of which wire goes where) and see if it might be possible to solder in some longer wires without taking the camera apart. I really want to stress this is a very very poor substitute for getting the job done correctly. I only mention it if the alternative (due to a lack of approved Technician and/or price) is to write the camera off completely. There's a good chance of wrecking the camera doing what I'm suggesting. But that obviously matters less if the alternative is to throw it away! With this approach you would end up with a card slot "hanging loose" by the side of the camera. It would be ugly and no longer weather sealed etc. But it is probably an easier fix than trying to take the camera apart without the proper tools and expertise. WARNING - this is not the right thing to do unless you are otherwise writing off the camera. If you have access to an approved Technician then get a quote for doing the job properly. This would be the better route by far.

7. dongamw2

dongamw2 New Member

-Return to Top-

@Richard_R thanks for the heads up, but i think i don't have any chances to get nearby anyone, because i live in algeria, so it's a lost cause ?
    @GregWard i apprecite giving your time and writing the advices
    here's the points:
    -i live in algeria
    -as it was montioned, shoud i be able to replace it alternativly by something else? or it need to be in the card slot, can't i link it or use something else
    and if i do open it and try to do something, will it be risky ?
    -The camera function is working real well, it just doesn't read the card at all
    -any other options available ?
    thank you dear sir both of you

8. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No - sorry I can't think of any way to replace the SD card reader. You could possibly try to tether the camera to a computer (at least I think that's an option for the X-T1 these days) but it wouldn't be a very useful solution because you'd need to carry around (and power) a computer. It would only really work if you were using the camera inside I think. If you are very IT literate/good with your hands/etc - then possibly you could build a tiny computer. But otherwise I can't see this working.

Yes - I think it certainly is very risky to do as I suggested as an option if all else had failed. But that really was my point. This is only something you should even consider if you were otherwise going to throw the camera away.

Sorry - I wish I could suggest something more helpful.