This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

SD Card formatting to not erase card name

Discussion in 'Suggestions for X-Camera Updates & Improvements' started by Chuck Carstensen, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Member

-Return to Top-

I'm a new X-Pro2 user. I find it strange that when a card is formatted in camera - the name you give the card by your computer is ALSO deleted. Please make your firmware to retain the user generated card name. Untitled does not cut it.

2. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Formatting erases ALL data no matter how you format it's what it is supposed to do. If you want to keep data just erase that which you don't want. Formatting is what it is.

CWRailman and jknights like this.
  3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

A top suggestion in a very similar post is to write on the card its name. Formatting can't remove that, and you can see the name without inserting it into a computer.

Me, I don't care. Take a picture, put the card in the slot and copy it to the PC, job done. There's far too much categorisation, indexing and general administration; take some pictures! :)

STARRIDER and CWRailman like this.
  4. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Member

-Return to Top-

5. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Can't make an argument Chuck, can only relate my experience. Hope you have some success in your endeavours. For me I just accept that when I format it wipes all the data.

6. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

I saw the OPs other thread on the exact same subject yesterday and I am not sure why he is so hung up about it but I guess everybody needs something to be annoyed about.
    I'll just say that on Nikons when you delete all the images on a card using the two button delete method that Fuji does not have it does not delete the card name. Frankly I would rather have Fuji implement a two button delete or two button format option than worry about the card name. It would be way, way more useful to me.

7. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Member

-Return to Top-

On my X-Pro2 there is a 2 button format. It takes you directly to the format menu, same thing - it deletes everything.
    The manual is incomplete in the instruction (page 107). The correct instruction should read: Press the center of the rear command dial while holding the trash button for 3 seconds FIRST.

I like my X-Pro2 and found the workaround to be simply Erase ALL images.

8. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sir, no mater what devise you use whether camera, computer or other device to "format" the card, the card name, which is imbedded into the data on the card just like an image file is erased. The systems/processes of removing files and data that maintain the card name are NOT using a Format activity but use a delete or erase function to remove files. As such they do not completely wipe the card clean of data. In that manner the card name is preserved. You can use an erase all function on any camera and it will do the same but do not confuse that with formatting the card. Please login or register to view links

Topsy likes this.
  9. threeshoes

threeshoes Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It has happened with the cards from any camera that I've used over the last 12 years or so. Canon, Samsung, Olympus as well as Fuji did that. I format only occasionally; the rest of the time I select Play, Delete and select All Images. I like to have the card name displayed when I insert each card in the iMac.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Many Nikon cameras will, on formatting, name the card as the camera name.

This occurs on formatting and will of course delete on the next format, but the old format name of the camera will be replaced by the camera name again, effectively keeping the name. It's not quite what the OP is after but shows that software can indeed write a name into the card name field during the formatting process. Presume that as it's the camera name that Nikon uses rather than a random string this could be further advanced by becoming user selectable in the same way as we can user selectable the file name prefix.

Not useful to me but could be developed by Fuji to give exactly what the OP wants.

Nikon cameras also allow the individual folders under the root to be named automatically.

11. audiman90

audiman90 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm sorry to have to disagree with you and the people at SanDisk, but in the good old days of the 40 mega hard drives, formatting the drive wiped all the data and it would take perhaps an hour to complete this operation as the only way to completely delete information on a disk is to write either 1's or 0's over all the segments.

Now we are using 16, 32, 64, 128 gb disks, just imagine how long it would take to format one of these cards.

When you format your sd card in the camera or a computer it merely wipes the header, that tells the system where to find the files on the disk. If you don't believe me, format your sd card in your camera and your computer, as many times as you want, and then run it through a file recovery program, some are better than others, and you will find your photos magically restored.

When you take photos on a newly formatted sd card the first photo is recorded on the first position, the next photo is recorded on the next available position and so on. If you then delete the photos, then the next photos carry on from where you finished before, because the card remembers where the last photo was. This is because a sd card has only a limited number of write capabilities and so this way the card uses all the space evenly, thus making the card last as long as possible.

I suspect that if you keep formatting the card, that the photos will restart at the first position each time and this will considerably shorten the life of the card.

12. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Member

-Return to Top-

Audiman90, Now were talking. That makes sense to me. I have a hunch that Nikon's "formatting" is a proprietary way of erasing. I am already in to the habit of erasing the images on the X-Pro2, therefore, keeping the card name intact. Just one more thing to "unlearn." I am liking the Fujifilm way. Thanks audiman90.

13. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Isn't the Nikon way simply like this?

- save card name to memory
    - quick format card
    - write card name from memory