This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Really liking my X30!!

Discussion in 'Fuji's Small Sensor X Cameras' started by griveraphoto, Jan 11, 2017.

1. griveraphoto

griveraphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi, this is my first contribution to this forum. I acquired my X30 from an EBAY vendor just a week ago.

These are some of the first images I've shot with it.

The out of camera JPG's are incredibly rich in color, texture and detail. I even like the quality of the grain at higher ISO's...reminiscent of the old film days!.

These samples are out of the camera JPG's with the only editing consisting of skew correction, a touch of saturation adjust and the addition of the frame.

I would not hesitate printing these at 16 X 20!!.

Regards,

Gerry Rivera.

DSCF2884.jpg DSCF2926.jpg DSCF2881.jpg

freyabo, Kubek89, qhs232 and 3 others like this.
  2. Brad Sarno

Brad Sarno Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

The X30 is one of the best kept secrets in cameras. It's so fantastic and for so many reasons, the load of features, the outrageously good lens, the sensor, the aesthetic, the size. I shoot bigger Fuji's but my wife shoots and X30. Her results are so good she's been hired for a number of shoots and even invited to shoot a wedding - all based on what people saw from her and her X30. That sensor may be smaller than others, but it truly is not a problem except for in very low light situations, and even in low light the X30 can really shine. You have a wonderful camera there.

B

3. griveraphoto

-Return to Top-

You're absolutely right Brad. There is definitely a level of quality I wasn't expecting out of this smaller sensor but I'm truly sold on the X30 at this point!.
    BTW, I can't get to display the full resolution images on these posts...any tips or ideas would be very helpful...thanks in advance!!.

Regards,

Gerry

4. griveraphoto

-Return to Top-

Couple more images from my X30. Only PP done was skew correction and saturation.

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

5. MontyBigglesworth

MontyBigglesworth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I got my Dad an X30 a few years ago, it was an ex demo from Jessops and he loves it.
    He's not really a camera enthusiast so he just uses it in full auto but has got some really nice shots.
    He had an Ixus before which was shocking, the X30 was a similar price but the image quality is amazing.
    One thing I did for him was replace the (very beautiful but impractical) metal lens cap with a plastic clip on one with a cord attached to the side of the camera so he won't loose it.
    Enjoy :)

6. griveraphoto

-Return to Top-

Hi Monty,

Glad your dad is enjoying his X30. They produce great jpg's in full auto mode which I use frequently myself.

I hear your tip about the lens cap and will look into it.

Thanks for checking out my thread!.

Regards.

Gerry.

7. NYRich

NYRich Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It really is an amazing camera, all things considered. I bought an X-30 as a small camera that I could carry when I didn't want to carry an X-E1/2 with additional lenses. My wife has also taken to it and has "retired" her old Canon P&S.

The image quality is far better than I could have hoped for and I totally agree with you about those jpeg's.

My original lens cap sits at home. Instead, I purchased an adaptor and lens shade (Vello brand which is far less expensive than the Fuji) which gives me all the protection that I need while pretty much eliminating flare.

8. damianmkv

damianmkv Active Member

-Return to Top-

i got mine last week but have only used it once ( with a few errors regarding settings of course ). Can't wait to actually use it as our weather in the UK has been grey ever since. Snow predicted tomorrow though

Not sure on whether to get a hood or not - i didn't need one on my old XF1 but perhaps the x30 is more prone to flare ? Guess i'll never know if the sun stays away

9. griveraphoto

-Return to Top-

I got a hood for mine but I leave it at home most of the time in favor of keeping the small footprint to carry the camera.

I just ordered a 40.5mm CP, UV and ND filter set from Adorama that should allow me to stay on the lens.

I'll post my findings on using them when I receive them.

10. griveraphoto

-Return to Top-

Here's a photo shot last Sunday while strolling along in Sanford, FL.

My wife was shooting her share of photos with her X10 and I shot this one with my X30.

All manual settings.

20170205_210154.jpg

rokphish, freyabo and damianmkv like this.
  11. griveraphoto

-Return to Top-

Photo shot yesterday with my X30.
    Settings:
    Auto exposure, auto focus, film simulation, Monochrome+green, highlights -1, shadows 0, shrpness 0, noise reduction -1.

View attachment 101628

2017_0317_18200000-01.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    visorvet likes this.
  12. griveraphoto

-Return to Top-

Photo of a cat photo in a shop front window.
    Auto settings and focus
    Highlights-1
    Shadows 0
    Film simulation Velvia

2017_0317_18070400-01.jpeg

13. griveraphoto

-Return to Top-

Man walking his dog
    Auto settings and focus
    Highlights -1
    Shadows 0
    Film simulation Velvia

2017_0317_18055400-03.jpeg

14. griveraphoto

-Return to Top-

I shot this one of my wife shooting with her X10...fun to go out shooting with the wife!

2017_0317_18003700.jpg

15. rokphish

rokphish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I like my X30 but tempted with the X-T20 deal. For about $1250 got the body and 18-55mm, with the pancake 27mm, and also SP2 printer. Going crazy with deciding to buy or not.

16. griveraphoto

-Return to Top-

Sounds like a good deal for that system. I do have a DSLR system as well but I find myself just carrying the X30 more and more!.