This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Quick snap with my XT-1 Critique needed/wanted

Discussion in 'Photo Critique Forum' started by Wurdz, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Wurdz

Wurdz Member

-Return to Top-

Hello,

I recently picked up a XT-1 and the 35 1.4 and I took this picture of my girlfriend. Can anyone chime in with any tips or critique. I used Alien Skin x2 to process the raw file.

Thanks in advance

Mike

IMG_1597.JPG

2. Wurdz

Wurdz Member

-Return to Top-

Here's one more that you guys/gals can give me some tips. XT-1 35mm 1.4

IMG_1585.JPG

visorvet likes this.
  3. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

Sorry but you can keep #2. I like #1 way better.
    Don't have any comments on the first image other than to say I like it and thing it is well shot and processed to my eyes.

Wurdz likes this.
  4. Wurdz

Wurdz Member

-Return to Top-

Richard I greatly appreciate the criticism and I thank you kindly.

5. BillC-PA

BillC-PA Premium Member

-Return to Top-

First of all, welcome to the Forum. You will find a very helpful, friendly group here. Although I like the first image much better than the 2nd, I find the upper right corner to be very distracting. I find my eyes going from the pretty face to the bright blob :)
    Bill

derekwolrige and Wurdz like this.
  6. Wurdz

Wurdz Member

-Return to Top-

Bill,

First and foremost thank you, I totally agree about the blob in the right corner. Maybe I could of came in tighter. Man this 35 1.4 is an awesome lens.

Mike

BillC-PA likes this.
  7. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You have an attractive subject and she doesn't look uncomfortable being photographed, a fantastic combination for a photographer who wants to practice.

The first image is managed much better from a technical point of view. I love toned monochrome images but the toning on the second one is not to my taste--too yellow.

If you want a more flattering image of her from the first image, the biggest improvement I would suggest is to look at how she is posed. Most people will look thicker when their body is straight on to the camera. Having her arms in also is not helping.

Wurdz likes this.
  8. Wurdz

Wurdz Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you so much, she's a tough cookie to pose. Once I get her out again I will definitely take that into consideration. You'll are great and thank you for the advice.

Mike

9. Alan42

Alan42 New Member

-Return to Top-

Eyes are drawn to her chest and top right corner because they are the lightest areas of the picture. Darken them or lighten her face. Try to make sure the sharpest part of a portrait are the eyes. They could be a little sharper in this photo.

Wurdz likes this.
  10. Wurdz

Wurdz Member

-Return to Top-

Alan, I greatly appreciate the advice. I will definitely work on focus. I've only had the camera in my hands for about an hour when these shots were taken lol. I jumped ship from the bulky DSLR's and went Fuji.

Thanks

Mike

11. mnhoj

mnhoj Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I like the connection.
    A soulful smile.

Technically? What the others said. ( :

Wurdz likes this.
  12. Wurdz

Wurdz Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you very much!

13. pfogle

pfogle Puzzled

-Return to Top-

Great start! Welcome. It's hard to better the 35 1.4 as a portrait lens, so you're in good shape there :)

For me, portraits work best when you give the viewer a reason to care - and eye contact is a really good way, though there are lots of others.

In the second photo, the hair across the nearer eye (which 95% of time is the focal point, and should be sharp) is a killer, it takes away the connection.

As a tip, I'd say pull out pages from glossies that you really like, and keep looking at them. Pretty soon you'll be taking pictures like them...

Wurdz and pandoraefretum like this.
  14. Wurdz

Wurdz Member

-Return to Top-

I truly appreciate your feedback. I can't wait to go snap some more. Fuji ROCKS!

15. pandoraefretum

pandoraefretum Premium Member

-Return to Top-

#1 is a strong portrait... it speaks to me. It's a really great shot.
    #2 discard

Wurdz likes this.
  16. Snodge

Snodge New Member

-Return to Top-

I prefer the feel of the second image, but the hair over her eye breaks the image somehow. I like that the second image seems more relaxed and candid than the first image, and for me, the toning is fine. As others have already said, the first image needs the critical sharpness on the eyes and for the white blob in the background to disappear.

Wurdz likes this.
  17. Wurdz

Wurdz Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you so much for the honest criticism. I'm taking everyone's advice. You guys are awesome!!

Thanks

Mike

18. lawsofphysics

lawsofphysics Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I much prefer the first photograph. The expression on her face seems authentic. I like the framing.

Informal portraits are, uh, well, informal. However...

A simple reflector to bounce light toward her face would make a difference. Just a small amount of supplemental light would help. Even a subtle on-camera flash might have made a difference. Of course, eye-glass reflections would not. With eye glasses, a simple off-camera flash angled so its reflections just miss the lens does the trick. Supplemental lighting does not have to be complicated or expensive. The Please login or register to view linkss just one example.

Your girlfriend is photogenic and you know how to make the most of this. So the next step is to experiment with lighting. Check out The Strobist.

Wurdz likes this.
  19. Wurdz

Wurdz Member

-Return to Top-

Thank so much for the input, I'm ordering (1) TT350 and (2) TT685's so I can play with some off camera flash. I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Thanks
    Mike

20. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Member

-Return to Top-

Mike, in my view a 35mm lens of any sort is not good for head shot portraits. Camera was a little too close to the subject. Your processing is good. I find the image to be a little too short on the top, add more space to the top of her head and it will be better. 35mm is OK for longer environmental portraits.