This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Quick question about the 18-55

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by comma, May 15, 2018.

1. comma

comma New Member

-Return to Top-

The 35 1.4 is pretty much all I need on my xt-1, but thinking about getting the 18-55 to round out my range a little for certain applications.

Are there different versions? I read in a forum that there are version made in different countries.

Is this true or are they all made in Japan?

Thanks!

2. Spock66

Spock66 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Certainly the 18-55mm is a great lens.

They are all the same version but I believe are now made in locations other than Japan, personally this would not worry me in the least, I am sure Fuji are more than capable of managing consistent QC wherever the lens is manufactured.

3. Mervington

Mervington Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well, perhaps. I bought mine new. It had focus problems. I kept think it must be me not using it properly - although I've been taking photographs for 60 years. I returned it. It came back to me with a note to the effect that most of the glass had been replaced. It was then perfect.

Irene McC likes this.
  4. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Though I have 6 of Fuji’s fixed focal length lenses, I have three 18-55’s. I have one on each of the cameras I might pick up as I leave the house. It is my go to lens. If I have a specific portrait or product shoot and I will not be moving around much or not in a dusty environment then I will use on of the fixed focal length lenses. However, whenever I am out and about or on the road it is always one of the 18-55mm lenses. They are very sharp and just think, in one lens you have all those different focal lengths that you could not carry if you had a big camera bag and you do not have to expose the sensor to the elements if you want to change focal lengths. I also like the way it balances on all the different Fuji bodies that I have. Most of the images I post here are with the 18-55 and as the saying goes, “don’t leave home without it”.

Yes originally the 18-55’s were manufactured in Japan but then some were also produced in China. Not sure if they have expanded production to other countries. I have noted no difference in quality between the China and Japan built units though psychologically I prefer the Japanese built just because.

Fujiphotog likes this.
  5. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I find my 18-55 to be excellent and useful, though I am not much of a zoom user. Having said that, it is much better at the wider end, say from 35mm to 18mm, than it is at the long end. At 55mm the lens is not just slower, it also seems to loose some of it's special quality. Another way to say this is that the 18-55 at 18mm is as good an 18mm as Fuji makes, but at 23mm, 35mm, and longer the primes are noticeably better, Most people won't care about these subtle differences in image quality and will prefer using a zoom for the convenience. I do use my zoom, but like using primes a lot more for a number of reasons including handling, image quality, speed, etc.

Working with a zoom might help you figure out what other focal lengths are right for you. One reason I use my zooms less and less is that over time my photography is becoming more and more directed. I will head out with a specific idea in mind and so can often predict which lenses will be best to meet my goals. Zooms are most useful when you have no plans or goals and want to be ready for any circumstance, or when lens changes would be too risky due to dust or rain, or when you won't have time to swop lenses.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  6. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Where you live the combination of bright sun and dust make zoom lenses much more attractive. I use mine more when I am in Arizona than I do the rest of the year in the often gloomy PNW, where fast lenses can help a lot, and where I am often less loath to change lenses outdoors.

7. fzdp

fzdp Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Mine is made in Philippines as far as I remember. No issues with quality.

8. aequalis

aequalis New Member

-Return to Top-

As the others already said, the 18-55 is built in Japan, China and the Philippines. I think in the dpreview forums was a discussion about where someone stated that the Philippines version lacks an additional ring behind the front element. However, mine is also made in Philippines and looks exactly like the Japanese version and I had no quality issues so far. I don't think that Fujifilm designed the non-Japan versions to be worse, since this might negatively affect their claimed standard of quality.

9. Spock66

Spock66 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I would guess that all the parts are made in the same factory and we are just referring to the place of final assembly.

10. M_buster

M_buster Member

-Return to Top-

I had an 18-55 as part of the kit when I bought a camera new. It was made in japan. I sold it thinking I didn't use it much, but I found it's a great lens to travel with. Recently, I bought one used and is made in Philippines. I don't see any difference optically. Physically, there's no more "Made in Japan" and serial number engraved on the barrel. Rather, they're now printed on a sticker.