This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Probably a card error - but what happened here?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Irene McC, Nov 13, 2017 at 6:06 PM.

1. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Last week I attended a dress rehearsal and took some 1500+ photos over two cameras.

I selected those to edit and send to the organisers and am now busy backing up the entire folder to an external hard drive.

The copy process came to a halt at this particular image and flagged it as unreadable - it was not one I had chosen to process and was unaware of there being any problems. So to see what was wrong, I started editing it (converted to BW, did the usual cropping etc and all was going well). Only when I tried to export the image into Photoshop, did this error message appear on my screen.

SilkyPix won't open the file either and I have now deleted it off the machine completely.

Any ideas as to what might have gone wrong? (X-T2 with 55-200mm lens)

x ERROR file could not be read 4643.JPG

2. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

I have seen something similar when firing several shots in rapid succession, then shutting off that camera to grab the other camera. If I shut the first one off too soon — before the last captured file has been fully loaded onto the card — the image can't be read, and is lost.

3. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks @Fujiphotog, I'll go and check the times on the metadata when my computer is back on. This is quite a possible scenario.

4. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

@Fujiphotog I went back into LR's metadata to check on the shooting time and it appears that was part of a burst, but not the last image in the sequence.
    The previous one as well as the following one all are fine and readable. Anyway, one of those things. However, your advice about leaving it longer to
    write to memory before switching the camera off, is very good advice indeed. With my Nikons I always leave them on to go onto auto-sleep mode, but
    with the Fuji's I have taught myself to switch them off to conserve battery power. Probably I'm somewhat too hasty sometimes.

5. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not much help as I haven't had this problem - but switching off the camera too soon shouldn't affect the write operation - its really a "soft" switch - the process of flushing the buffer continues.

Taking out the battery would be a different matter!

leoda1945 likes this.
  6. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Oh really? Good to know, because I sometimes inadvertently switch off the camera after a burst before putting it down in my lap waiting for the next capture...
    then I see the little light still on and obviously working away... and kick myself! Well, something glitched and I lost that RAW (still have the jpg I shot at
    the same time) but it's really not an important image. Still, one wonders about technology.

7. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Many times I have switched the camera off too fast (force of habit reflex) while the RAW image was still being written to card. Never had a glitch as you described. I think @Greybeard is correct.

8. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hmmm.

Then what do you think might have caused this to happen?

9. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

TBH, I don't know enough technology of the in-camera writing process to answer that.
    Maybe the buffer filled up faster than the files could be written to card while you were shooting (at x fps); the tripping over one file (stopped writing it) stalled the write process long enough to catch up to your shooting speed ??
    That is 100% speculation on my part.

10. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

and pretty astute speculation at that, @leoda1945
    That is not improbable at all!

leoda1945 likes this.
  11. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

If that is right, and I have no reason to disagree, then I would love to know what it is that causes an unreadable RAF file. Like Irene, I get these from time to time, and would want to know how to prevent it.

Irene McC likes this.