Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by Dwiputraltf, Mar 12, 2018.
just for fun poll for metering
Heh - needs 'all of the above'.
All of them.
Only use Multi, and tweak with EC dial to my liking.
In general, I use average.
When the subject itself is brighter than the scene's overall average, I use spot metering.
Never use multi - never looks right to me.
Your poll needs to allow multi-choices
Which it would then average out, or would that put you on the spot?
I use multi for 80% of the shots I take, the remaining 20% are spot metered. If I had one of the newer cameras with center weighted average, I would likely use that as that's what I was used to for many years.
This isn't a question of preference, but rather one of horses for courses.
Multi most of the time
Centre-weighted mostly for product shots (especially with high image contrast anD very bright or very dark backgrounds)
Spot for night photography (after a lot of practicing and playing with exposure correction)
Depends on setting, lighting and desired outcome.
I tend not to use a meter at all, the screen image is enough for me.
Average and Spot
How do you divorce what the screen shows from the metering mode the camera is using? A spot metered image would potentially be different from a multi metered one.
It's worth reading the question before answering. It asks what we usually use. I suspect it means most often.
I use all but by far the most often, or "usually", it's Multi.
I shoot manual exposure and adjust the exposure settings based on what I see on the EVF. This is after my adjusting the screen brightness to match the actual outcome one loaded onto the computer when I initially set up the camera when new. This bypasses the meter altogether.
Interesting theory I'll think about that a bit more!
Instead of opening a poll and asking what others believe to be the solution of their choice - Please login or register to view links
None of the above. The EVF's exposure preview is close enough for me.
I find CW works best for me. I grew up in the Nikon system and I know what to expect and how to interpret a metering suggestion when it's CW. I find the matrix metering very disappointing and subject to much variation with back light situations - which somehow I seem to always be confronted with. Partially that's the age group of people I photograph - they gather largely with their backs to bright light sources.
Spot for night photography and occasionally matrix for strobe. I really need to find a nice strobe to use with my X-Pro2 and see if I can achieve anywhere near the results I was able to with the Nikon CLS system. I found that using that camera in matrix mode with manual metering and exposure control for the background and CLS for the foreground to be nearly foolproof. So far with my little EF-20 strobe, that's been a bit of a disappointment.
Multi with histogram exposed to the right with compensation.
hai,most of you said that spot metering for nigh photography,can you explain why?