This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Pawn & Junk Shop Finds

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by beakhammer, Nov 5, 2015.

1. yashica boy

yashica boy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Will have a word with the shipping lady at work on Tuesday and PM you are you in the US or Canada?

2. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am in Washington state. Very near Canada.

3. Alex Cremers

Alex Cremers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's been ages ago since I bought a secondhand lens but yesterday I saw a new looking Helios 44M-4 58mm 2.0 for 19,00 Euro (old black Zenith camera included) and I couldn't resist. I already have a Helios 44-2 Zebra and a Helios 44M. First test results are promising, with decent sharpness at 2.0 and swirly bokeh, if you have tree leaves in the background.

beakhammer likes this.
  4. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

I have one of these lenses that happens to have fairly normal Bokeh (non-swirly) and it is still a distinctive lens, fun to use.

5. Alex Cremers

-Return to Top-

I have been comparing the 44M-4 to the older 44-2 (preset aperture) and I prefer the older one, because, when stopped down, the bokeh highlights look better (probably due to the 8 aperture blades). However, I do feel that the 44-4 is more prone to 'swirling' then my 44-2 zebra version.

6. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Mine is a 44-M with 8 blades and the auto stop-down switch. It has a metal body and multi-coated lens, serial # 8052808. Another good M-42 lens that came to me recently is a Pentacon 55mm/1.8. I'll be using both on a Praktica MTL-3. Another recent M-42 find that I really like is a Super-Takumar 28mm/3.5. I have tested all of these lenses on Fujifilm digital bodies, where they performed very well. I am looking forward to seeing how they work with film.

7. Alex Cremers

-Return to Top-

You mean the Pentacon 50mm 1.8? That's one of my favorite special (artistic) bokeh lenses.

8. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Oh yeah, that was a typo; it is the 50mm/1.8. Seems really nice.

9. Alex Cremers

-Return to Top-

Great! The 8 blades make all the difference when it comes to bokeh highlights. It makes the blur, less harsh and more appealing.

beakhammer likes this.
  10. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

How about this? I have a broken Hasselblad (free) that is perfectly functional if you manually set the mirror and advance the film. I had it set up for pinhole photography. Now here it is with a V-mount Bayonet to M65 thread adapter, an M65 Helical (optional), an M65 to M42 reducer, and a Zeiss Jena 135mm/3.5 lens (swop). This setup works great for close-up photography (the Jar showing in the viewfinder is 7cm wide and the lens is wide open here, with about 12 inches working distance), but it lacks a shutter, so would have to be used with very slow film, very low light, or very dark ND filters, or by adding a shutter. Stopped way down with slow film and low light the dark slide might be a good-enough shutter with an extremely solid tripod and a way to cover/uncover the lens. At these close-focus distances there is no vignetting with 135 format lenses on 6x6 (or possibly larger) formats. I will also be making some M65 lens boards so I can use medium and large format lenses mounted in shutters on the helical, some of which will give me infinity focus with this camera. It will be fun to try some of the LF lenses on an SLR, instead of the viewfinder cameras and ground-glass view-cameras I use them on now.
    Hassy M42 sm.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 4:59 PM
    VintageJim and magmouse like this.