This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Nissin i60a on Fujifilm X-T1 to activate FP flash sync mode?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Alexander Barus, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Alexander Barus

Alexander Barus New Member

-Return to Top-

Dear all,

I have sent a month ago my brand new Nissin i60a for my Fujifilm X-T1 to be upgrade the firmware and to be enable HSS (FP flash) feature.

I sent the unit to Nissin office in Jakarta, Indonesia and it came back to me yesterday which I assumed the guy updated it

But how can I activate HSS or FP feature? I tested it out but it doesn't work even on Manual mode with H (thunder) logo mode on. My Fujifilm X-T1 body firmware is already updated to 5.20 but in the flash menu setting inside the body I couldn't find any FP (HSS) mode to be activate just either 1st curtain or 2nd curtain on its sync. mode menu.

After I checked the firmware number for my Nissin i60a by pressing both pilot and power mode buttons, these is what I found: The firmware number of 6 and 4.

Is 6 and 4 are the correct / updated firmware for my Fujifilm X-T1 ? Can you help me to guide on how to activate the HSS (FP) feature?

Many thanks.
    Alex

20793741_10155082318198477_1406843053_o.jpg

2. kerrydeare

kerrydeare X-T1 Diehard

-Return to Top-

The feature is automatically enabled as required. Just set your desired shutter speed (up to 1/4000) and the X-T1/i60a combination will do all the rest. No other settings required.

3. Alexander Barus

-Return to Top-

Thank you @kerrydeare for your respond. Unfortunately it's still not working. As you can see the photos at the bottom, I have tried within the same ISO800 at f/1.2 of 56mm lens and from shutter speed of 1/4000 (pitch black) -> 1/2000/ -> 1/1000 -> 1/500 -> 1/250 with TTL mode on from flash itself and first curtain sync mode from the Fujifilm X-T1 body. Even when I set the flash to mode M and with different power and activated H with thunder icon (which is HSS mode on) is still not working.

DSCF9881.jpg

DSCF9882.jpg

DSCF9883.jpg

DSCF9884.jpg

DSCF9885.jpg

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

According to the user manual to activate HSS you press the HSS button (H with spark) for 1 sec to toggle between activation and deactivation. Interesting to hear Kerrydeare's account of this not being required.

Have you tried this?

5. Alexander Barus

-Return to Top-

Hi @Oldtimer .Yes I did. The one that is working is when I set up the flash on MANUAL mode to get that H with spark icon activated. But again, it's not working as I'd expected.

6. Oldtimer

-Return to Top-

The pressing of the H should work with any of the flash settings - TTL, M etc. Are you toggling the HSS on then going to the camera flash menu to set FP flash.

I haven't got the i60, only downloaded the manual, so can't help further. Hope you get it sorted. What do Nissin say, the people who updated it?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  7. Knut

Knut Member

-Return to Top-

@ Alexander barus: the flash menu in your XT-1 will work, see attached

how_to_activate_HSS_onFujiflim.jpg

8. Oldtimer

-Return to Top-

The OP has said he's just getting 1st and 2nd curtain not the Auto FP option. I suspect, not sure, that the toggle on the flash itself must first be activated - by pressing the H button for 1 sec. Either that or it's faulty or it's not actually had the upgrade.

I wonder what Nissin said when the issue was spotted.

9. Alexander Barus

-Return to Top-

Dear @Knut and @Oldtimer ,

Yes I have tried by press and hold for more than one second in Auto and TTL mode - still nothing succed. When the flash setting changed from Auto or TTL mode to Manual mode , the H button works but the result of the photos I took are the same.

Even from the menu itself from the Fujifilm X-T1 body seems doesn't have that Auto FP (HSS) mode aside from First and Second Curtain modes only.

10. Alexander Barus

-Return to Top-

Dear @Knut and @Oldtimer ,

I have message the service guy from Jakarta. Just like @kerrydeare respond at the top. He said the HSS should works automatically when connects to the body.

So I suspect something to do with the communication between the body and the flash ,so after I watched this youtube video link:

I have found the Nissin i60a that Lukas Gisbert has firmware number of 7 and 5 on his Fujilm X-T2 (after hold and press power button and pilot button alotogether when the flash is off)

I checked my Nissin i60a firmware number is 6 and 4. Then I messaged the nissin service guy again. He said he did upgraded the data on my Nissin i60a flash unit. The firmware data 6 and 4 for Fujifilm X-T1 body cannot be used to Fujifilm X-T2 body. But he said the firmware data from Fujifilm X-T2 body can be used for Fujifilm X-T1 body.

Until now I am still waiting for his further respond if he has the firmware 7 and 5 so I can resend my unit back.

11. Alexander Barus

-Return to Top-

Even after I watched this youtube video link :

I have tried remove my hot shoe metal spring in hoping to get that 3 contacts communicates to my Nissin i60a pins still not succed.

Removing the metal spring kinda make my Nissin flash unit feels wobbly but still tight. Incase, i still keep the metal spring in safe place and I can put it back later on.

12. Alexander Barus

-Return to Top-

I went to the Nissin flash official facebook page and I have found their email address (info@NEIDLLC.com) so I sent this case.

Thankfully Greg Clark respond and yes as I suspected before, there is something to do with the firmware number the service guy installed into my Fujifilm X-T1 body. I provided Greg all the information needed so they can keep in touch with Jakarta offfice and what the next action need to take.

So I think I am in the waiting mode for now and see how this will turn up.

@kerrydeare @Knut @Oldtimer , thank you for your helps and I will post the update again.

IMG_7606.jpg

IMG_7607.jpg

13. Knut

Knut Member

-Return to Top-

HSS with Nissin i 60 on Fuji's XT-1 works for me- provided, latest firmware for both is installed. You don't need to press any buttons on Nissin's flash, HSS funcion is activated by the cameras menu of XT-1 ( as in #7). Works also remotely, with Nissin's air.

14. Jimmyjamjojo

Jimmyjamjojo New Member

-Return to Top-

Isthe xt1 on latest firmware? It was only recently (last 6months?) that this was added...