This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Nissin i60 will work with X-T2 with firmware update

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Carolyn, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

2. PowderWorker

PowderWorker Active Member

-Return to Top-

Did they say what the firmware update supports? HSS, TTL?

George

3. hyh

hyh GoldMember

-Return to Top-

As Wim Arys wrote, double-check with your seller about the firmware update. Then when you receive the unit, check to see if it works with X-T2.

You could also wait a few months until you're reasonably sure to get updated unit without checking with your seller.

I'd think that they would be able to get HSS working - if not right away, then eventually in a future firmware.

4. Carolyn

Carolyn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Check out the link - that's as much as I know. At least they're moving in the right direction.

5. StudioAbe

StudioAbe Member

-Return to Top-

There's this too:

Source: I Tested my i60a w X-T2 and XPro2: Fujifilm X System / SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

6. Richdog

Richdog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I really hope Nissin can fix their flashes, otherwise they will be in trouble with existing owners and lose a lot of sales from potential owners. They need to contact Fuji and work it out asap.

7. StudioAbe

StudioAbe Member

-Return to Top-

Fuji and Micro 4/3 versions of Nissin i60a were officially released in Japan today.
    Not sure why Fuji version of the same has been available in the US prior to Japan, where the company is located. Anyway, checked their website and read a bit of a good news:

Apparently, i40 is running into the same problems that the unit has encountered with X-T2 on a X-Pro2 with the most recent firmware update. For those who have purchased i40 very recently with factory-loaded firmware (version 16-8), the units will work with X-T2 and X-Pro2 with the latest firmware installed.

Although Nissin notes HSS is not available at this moment, here is the good news:

なお、正式版のファームウエア(FP発光対応)は純正のEF-X500が発売される11月以降を予定しております。

"We are planning to release a formal version of firmware that will accommodate HSS following the release of Fuji's EF-X500 in November."

It is not specific at this point how soon after the much delayed release of EF- X500, but it is encouraging to know that i60a (and i40) will be able to accommodate HSS with future firmware update(s).

Carolyn likes this.
  8. Carolyn

Carolyn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sounds like they have been asked to wait until the new Fuji flash is released.

9. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I guess they are playing cagey since Fuji could change the HSS protocol at any time up to release of the EF-X500.

10. cyp

cyp New Member

-Return to Top-

11. Lee Rothman

Lee Rothman Active Member

-Return to Top-

Version 4 firmware which should be installed already on your 60i if you bought it from a good dealer (such as Competitive Camera in Dallas who only sells those versions) it will provide TTL on the X-T2. HSS is due out in a firmware update by year end according to Nissin. Patience........

12. Carolyn

Carolyn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

13. EAB

EAB Active Member

-Return to Top-

Just picked up (March 2017) a Nissin i60 (USA) which seems to work well in TTL on my X-Pro2 - BUT no HSS yet. Spoke with Nissan USA (in NH) and they tell me to expect the firmware update to enable HSS about May of this year. Ditto for the Air commander FW update. Units will have to be sent in for the update but it will be warranty service (excluding S&H or course).

Looked at the Fuji 500 whilst at the shop and while it worked marvelously well with the XP2 it seemed to make the camera very top heavy (even with the 23 f/1.4 mounted) and seemed very big (though a side by side comparison showed it only marginally larger). Screen seemed very busy for what I wanted and of course it is nearly $200 more than the Nissin. Anyhow I opted for the Nissin. I really loved the scroll wheel flash compensation dial as I do alot of TTL with comp. on an off camera cord (velo worked well in the shop). Time will tell, two shoots coming up tis week where it will get a heavy work out.

14. Osa713

Osa713 Member

-Return to Top-

The same reason I have yet to pick up the Fuji version, it looks huge on the X-T2. I will be picking up the nissin i60 soon.

15. EAB

EAB Active Member

-Return to Top-

Just ran about 600 frames through the XP2 yesterday using the i60 on TTL, nary a hiccup. Loved the ease of the EVC dial on the back of the unit.