This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Nikon 80-400mm, anyone have feed back of that lens on Fuji?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by MCPhoto, Dec 4, 2018.

1. MCPhoto

MCPhoto Active Member

-Return to Top-

Is anybody use the first version of Nikon 80-400mm on the Fuji? I already use the Nikon 400/3.5 and 600/4 with great results. I'm now looking for a versatile zoom in the 100-400 range whitout paying 2000$! I hesitate between the 80-200 push-pull that I know having really good sharpness and the 80-400 that I know are selling really cheap on E-Bay...so cheap that it makes me wondering why...is it bad in terms of sharpness or in terms of OIS?

2. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

With zoom lenses there is often wide variation between individual samples of the same lens. I had that lens for use on my Nikon D800 and found it was not sharp enough for landscapes or wildlife, although OK for portraits. I sold the lens, got the 100-400 and now am getting the shots I couldn't with the Nikon gear. I use an X-T2 and an X-H1 with this lens.

Irene McC and MCPhoto like this.
  3. yukosteel

yukosteel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've tried Nikkor AF 80-200 F2.8 MK-III (two rings) few times on different Fuji bodies. I didn't impress me comparing to much better detailed pictures from Fuji XF 55-200mm.
    I'd expect reduced performance from 80-400mm as well.
    Later I used Nikkor AF 300mm F4 with very good results, looks like Nikon primes perform better on Fuji X.
    However XF 100-400 worked significantly better than Nikon glass, so I've sold all Nikons and found 100-400mm used for about $1350. I think the IQ plus very strong OIS are worths paying it's price, and you can also find cheaper option on used market.

MCPhoto and amir_teng like this.
  4. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Besides my Fuji system, I also still maintain my beloved Nikons.

I had the 80-400 and never liked the results (on Nikon bodies) and sold it on.

MCPhoto and amir_teng like this.
  5. blacksheep

blacksheep Seeker of Light

-Return to Top-

Once upon a time this Nikon girl had that 80-400 lens. I traded it in eventually. Did not grow on me. In fact, I switched systems to Fujifilm eventually.
    I have tried a Nikon 300mm f4 with adapter on the X-T3 recently just to play around with it and I think I will keep the lens. Still tinkering with it but I think I will like the results on the APSC body.

MCPhoto likes this.
  6. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Which 300/4 is that please, and if its an af lens how are you getting on with it in MF? O have several Nikon AF lenses, and the focus is very light.

Gerry

7. blacksheep

blacksheep Seeker of Light

-Return to Top-

Manual focus lens