This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

New X-T2 owner becomes a X-T1 user??

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Sanemancured, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Sanemancured

Sanemancured Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As is repeated in here frequently, it depends on your usage. For me, practically, 90% of the time there's little if any difference. Maybe if I did large prints, heavy crops, or more 'action' stuff then perhaps it would be more noticeable. I do find the X-T1 a little lacking in the focus dept once people start moving about.

The gear is what a lot of us focus on (no pun intended) and after all being a Fuji forum that is well and good. But photography is so much more than the gear. I'm speaking as someone who has a lot of gear but has got a lot to learn :) I like capturing and enhancing images. If I'm brutally honest I'm also into buying gear.

GregWard likes this.
  2. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The difference depends on the user. MP’s don’t matter to me but may matter to others. The X-T2 is my livelihood. Anything that makes it easier,better, or faster matters to me. If you don’t see a major difference then what does it matter? I see and know there is a difference for me as I own both cameras. I prefer the X-T2. This is why I think in the end these kind of questions like “what should I do?” In regards to a camera or lens are pointless. The person is going to end up getting answers based on what the responder needs are. It’s like someone asking what should my favorite restaurant be?

If the X-T2 is better in certain specific ways then that makes the camera better for the specific user that needs that feature. When I’m getting candid shots of kids running around the beach, the difference in afs is significant. There are milliseconds difference between the fastest and second fastest runner in the world but there is only one person that gets the gold and the contracts. When I switch gears to real estate photography I like the higher sync speed and more function buttons so I don’t have to dig in menus. You may not need that. I do. The differences between the xt1 and X-T2 may be small for you but the differences are huge for me.

3. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

We have different views for sure. Life is too short to be playing around with the second best if I don’t have to.

Sanemancured likes this.
  4. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

So we're saying exactly the same thing. I'm certainly not saying there are no differences between the two cameras. Merely that those differences don't always matter to everyone and/or in all circumstances. Like I said - I upgraded to the X-T2 and have no regrets. But that certainly doesn't make the X-T1 a bad camera

5. Jonimages

Jonimages Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Pretty much. The xt1 is my backup and I can do everything with it that I can with the X-T2. It’s just the X-T2 is a much better camera for what I do in all areas I need. This is why I think it’s odd for someone to use an xt1 over the X-T2 if both cameras are available. The X-T2 just makes things easier for me. It doesn’t make me a better photographer.

6. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That has basically been true for me since the Canon 20D ... when I look at my old photos, I have not gotten better through more advanced technology, but through better looking and anticipating. And on the other hand, newer cameras also have not solved the areas where I struggle (as an amateur) ;)

That being said; there's nothing that I currently miss in the X-T1, so I don't feel the urge to upgrade. But if I had a X-T2, downgrading to the X-T1 would probably be a pain ;)

7. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think it'll only be small details that matter. In my case, it's lazyness, 24 megapickles allows me to cover up bad technique in PP more so than 16.

Sanemancured likes this.
  8. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I had the X-T1 and was perfectly happy with it, but when the X-T2 came out my lad gave me a few measly quid and prized the X-T1 out of my hand and told me to go get myself the X-T2, before I realised what was happening ;)

I wouldn't go back to the X-T1, although my lad has taken some superb photographs with it (and the supplied 18-55 lens)

I think Peter, that once you get in to the X-T2 you'll find that you quite simply won't use the X-T1, as others above have said.

You want a back up camera ... for me I got the X100F, it's just great for lightweight travels, as in on the motorcycle touring jaunts. They make a great pair of cameras and complement each other superbly. Same sensor, same battery :D

Just my two penneth :)

Sanemancured likes this.
  9. November

November New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi,
    Maybe X-E3 will be a good choice???

rayvonn likes this.
  10. paulhodson

paulhodson Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Having swapped from an X-T1 to an X-T2, obviously my photographs will be much improved.

Erm... ;)

Dirk Offringa and rayvonn like this.
  11. Thiha Win

Thiha Win Member

-Return to Top-

I have XT1 (2 bodies) and X-T2, Olympus EM5 II, EM1 Mark I & Mark II systems as well as Nikon D7100, 610, 800, 810...... I treat my Fuji system with so much love than other systems.

So, last Summer I went to Greece on holidays for 2 weeks with my family. Wife wouldn't like me take my camera gears, except for ONE camera and one lens she said.... Fair enough I thought. So, I took my XT1+18/135mm lens with battery grip only. X-T2+battery grip is quite a bit heavier/bigger than Xt1+ battery grip, so I took XT1 setup instead. This combo did EVERYTHING fantastic, Landscape, portrait and architecture, etc. Almost pixel perfect up to near 200% zoom in LR. I am crazy pixel-peeper and that's why I have X-T2, EM1 II and Nikon 810 & D800 with lots of top lenses. Honestly, from my experience, pics from XT1 is no way visibly worse than X-T2 unless you print A2+ posters!. As example put 16-55 f2.8 with XT1 for landscape, still barely difference when X-T2 is used with same lens. You can adjust in post anyway to jazz up in either LR or PS.

I've packed/stored my cameras+lenses in Pelican boxes at home, except for Xt1+battery grip with 18-135 lens which is on my desk ready to go out with me as soon as I leave the house. OS system in 18-135 is so good my 11 years old boy can take tack-sharp portrait pictures at 135mm f5.6 @200 ISO! Perfect ready-to-go one camera that I love.

XT1 is STILL fantastic for most of what I want I need..... If I want to print 47"x34" (A0) Landscape posters photos then I will take out Nikon or full Fuji bags with X-T2. Olympus is still 'experiment' as far as I am concern. Still not in love with MFT system yet. Even with Oly Pro Lenses, it's still so-so.

12. Chad Pippin

Chad Pippin Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

No one tell my X-T1 that it is obsolete! I know that’s not what’s being argued here, but it’s funny how we move on to new things so quickly. With that said, the movie mode on the X-T1 is horrible. I am starting to dabble more in video and the improvements Fuji has made in this area has me really tempted to upgrade. I recently watched a review that puts it on level with the Sony stuff.

At work we use several Sony a7s mkii’s with Canon adapted lenses for our video work and the video team does a great job and seems to get along well with the cameras. We also have two FS5s for larger jobs. For me personally, having a Fuji lens collection keeps me from jumping into Sony world. The X-t2 has my attention.

But for stills, I love and adore my pair of X-t1s and will keep them around for many years.

trainer likes this.
  13. DavidWebb

DavidWebb Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Fuji (and all other camera manufacturers for that matter) introduce newly numbered models on a regular cadence, add in a few new features and "improvements" that we supposedly ALL must have or our photographs will just simply stink, in an attempt to get a percentage of us to open up our wallets and lay down another two grand. Some of us fall into that cadence of shelling out the cash for each new model like good little Fuji soldiers - but some of us stay behind the curve a little bit and grab the supposedly "obsolete" models at ridiculously low prices. That will always be me.

watertight and toy77 like this.
  14. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Earlier I wasn't really trying to argue either on behalf of the X-T1 or X-T2. They surely are different in some - specific - ways. But I think it helps to ask the question "what is genuinely different FOR ME"? Despite your obvious love for the X-T1 I think the extra video capabilities of the X-T2 would be a good answer.

15. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think the original post was by someone who has both X-T1 and X-T2 and wanted to use the X-T1 first to work his way up to the X-T2. To me this doesn't make sense. The X-T1 is still a great camera and can take great pictures for many years But if you already have an X-T2 use it by all means. Why would you not use it after having paid for it?

16. Alice

Alice Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I need to sell my X-T1. A lovely camera, but if something happens to my X-T2, I have my Sony RX100 mklll for a backup. It’s a dandy go-everywhere camera.
    The T-1 is too nice to be ignored.
    I do understand what the OP is saying. He bought the T2, and grabbed a T1 which is much less expensive for a backup.
    Before he begins shooting with his T2, he wants to familiarize himself with the T1.
    So you enjoy the T1 and the learning process, then move on. But should he need to fall back to the T1, he’ll understand it.
    Besides the fact under certain circumstances, he might want to have both on a shoot, with different lenses mounted.
    In a perfect world, I would have 2 X-T2s.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  17. DavidWebb

DavidWebb Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I certainly agree with this - If I had shelled out the clams for an X-T2 - I would certainly be using it. For me, I don't keep a backup camera as I'm not a professional - so the X-T1 at that point would be in the classifieds...