This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

New X-S1 user

Discussion in 'Fuji's Small Sensor X Cameras' started by Saijin_Naib, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib Member

-Return to Top-

Hi!

After a few years of having an HS25exr which I had converted to Full Spectrum by Kolari Vision, I've finally purchased a new X-S1.

I love it so far! It addresses many of the limitations in the design of the HS25exr, and allows me much more flexibility and returns some truly wonderful images.

I hope to have it converted soon, and to continue to work in Full Spectrum with the added flexibility of RAW and the better characteristics of the larger 2/3" EXR Sensor.

Here's one of my first images from the X-S1. It really impressed me with how much dynamic range it has in comparison to my HS25exr.

2018-05-20 14.41.15 [X-S1].jpg

johant likes this.
  2. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm looking forward to your pics once you have it converted.

Saijin_Naib likes this.
  3. Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks! I'm really excited to see if/how the ability to shoot RAW on a larger sensor will impact my infrared/Full Spectrum photographs. Many other extra-visible photographers I follow swear by the need for RAW, so I'm excited to see the difference.

I hope to get that done soon, and I'm still practicing/getting adjusted to the X-S1.

Any pointers or experience you can share with me?

Thanks!

4. johant

johant Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Not really; I only had a Canon IR camera (small sensor and no RAW) but I had great fun with it.

Saijin_Naib likes this.
  5. Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib Member

-Return to Top-

Another shot with my X-S1. Not converted (yet!), but I've been blown away by the types of lighting I can now shoot in that were just too difficult before with my HS25exr.
    DSCF0318.jpg

johant likes this.
  6. Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib Member

-Return to Top-

Dynamic Range? Oh, I've heard so much about you!
    DSCF0309.jpg

7. Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib Member

-Return to Top-

The DOF is much shallower when doing macro work on the X-S1 than my HS25exr, and handles similarly to the X10.
    DSCF0293.jpg

8. Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib Member

-Return to Top-

The shallowness is such a nice improvement in how the image renders.
    DSCF0303.jpg

9. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi. A long time X-S1 shooter here. I like your stones image in post #5. Nice composition, beautiful colours, but why is it so soft? The X-S1 can do much sharper than that. What aperture was this shot at? The X-S1 has a relatively small sensor, so stopping it down all the way to f/11 will make the image blurry because of diffraction. Personally, I would not stop the X-S1 below f/6.4-f/7.1.

The other thing that might be at fault here is post processing. If you shoot raw and then render your own JPEGs, the settings might need to be adjusted.

If you shoot JPEG, I find the default setting for sharpness quite OK, but prefer setting it to +1, while +2 is too sharp for me.

10. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Here is another thing you might find useful for macro work.

The X-S1 gives different magnification at different focal lengths. At wide angle (24mm) you've got this "Super macro mode" that gives you the closest focus. However, you can get about the same magnification if you zoom to ~135mm in the normal macro mode. The 135mm eq. focal length is much better for shooting insects etc.. (see my avatar shot with the X-S1, for example).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018 at 8:54 AM
  11. Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks so much! Any pro-tips? I've read that shooting in 6Mp allows for the full dynamic range of the EXR Sensor, so I do all my shooting in 6Mp with DR400% in RAW.
    I might have moved it during the exposure, or I might have missed my focus point.
    EXIF:
    ISO-400
    F/4.5
    1/400s
    42mm

I've not found the optimal F-Stop like I did with my HS25, but I too tend to not stop down much due to the softening of light diffraction.

I'm shooting/processing my RAWs, and this is the first camera I've owned with RAW support, so I have no doubt that my workflow for processing them is inadequate.
    Thanks for the tip! I normally shoot macro from about 1m away due to the foreshortening of the background when zooming, so I think I'm mostly doing what you're saying. I'll have to try and be more cognizant of my focal length when zooming to see.

Do you ever use a macro filter for extra shallowness or closeness?

12. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I also often shoot in a 6Mpx mode for better DR. I think if you shoot raw, you don't get any benefit from using DR400% though. In fact, you are losing 1 stop of DR. Try switching to DR100%, shoot at a lower shutter speed and you will get better results from your raw files than using DR400%.

Yes, I have Raynox DCR-150 and DCR-250. The DCR-150 (it is +4.8, I think) is perfect for bee-sized insects and I like using it more. Marumi makes a rather nice 62mm +3 close up filter, the Achromat type.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018 at 2:05 PM
  13. Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib Member

-Return to Top-

How do you know this (one stop DR loss)? Is there a resource I can read up on? So, DR100 with ISO-100 to match or...?

I've used an Opteka and a Sonya on my HS25, but I've yet to shop for 62mm ones for my X-S1. I'll check out the ones you've listed. Thanks!

14. Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib Member

-Return to Top-

2018-05-20 17.17.16 [X-S1].jpg
    ISO-400
    F/3.6
    1/2500s
    17mm

15. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Correction: about two stops of DR, not one.

Shooting at ISO100 is the key to get the widest dynamic range in your raw files.

Please login or register to view links

When you switch from ISO100 to ISO400, you need to reduce the exposure by a factor of 4. That's 4 times less signal. With the read noise (floor noise?) being about the same at all ISOs, you will lose about 2 stops of dynamic range at ISO400 (the graph above gives 1.66 stops loss).

I was thinking of signal-to-noise ratio for a given pixel, for highlights that will decrease by a factor of two at ISO400.

I am not quite sure how the DR setting affects raw files of size M. You can choose DR100 to DR400 all at ISO100.

Saijin_Naib likes this.
  16. Saijin_Naib

Saijin_Naib Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you for that. I'll have to study it carefully. I thought I had finally escaped being locked to ISO-100 like I had been with my HS25exr, but apparently if I want the most out of the X-S1, I need to lock it down, or decide at what point I'm comfortable sacrificing IQ for shootability.