This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Naming SD Cards

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by eightwheels, Aug 28, 2011.

1. eightwheels

eightwheels New Member

-Return to Top-

I usually format my SD cards (in the X100) after transferring images to my Mac, but that leaves the card named "Untitled". Is there any way to name the card with the camera (to keep track of multiple cards), or if I name it on my Mac, is there a way to format the card that doesn't clear the name of the card? It's not a big deal but would make life a bit easier if I could keep my cards named. But I don't want to do that at the price of slowing down writing times when taking pictures.

Bob

2. BasharAr

BasharAr Premium Member

-Return to Top-

HOW ABOUT......

Write the Card name on the card itself with a marker! easy ha! :D

3. regedit

regedit Member

-Return to Top-

if you use mac, click twice (but with some seconds lag) on the icon (on desktop) an you can change the name of the card. it takes only few seconds after you format the card.

card name is stored also on the card and formatting operation resets the name as well. just a silly question: why you format card? erasing pictures does empty the card too!

4. rabanne

rabanne New Member

-Return to Top-

I think it is better to format the card rather than delete photos because you are likely to have a very fragmented memory.

Each photo has a dimension that differs from the other. The new photos will be stored in the spaces left by the deleted photos and then file fragmentation occurs. File fragmentation can create the risk of data loss and increases the time of writing on card.
    Formatting the card guarantees the sequential storage of pictures taken. In this way you have less risk of data loss and optimizes and speeds up the writing on the card

5. regedit

regedit Member

-Return to Top-

fragmentation is only a disk problem where you have cylinders and tracks. on memory chips you don't have fragmentation problems and it's a direct access to any address location. anyway, erasing all files on a chip it's similar to formatting, except that on formatting you lose device name, which is exactly what you don't want!

6. cfsalicath

cfsalicath Member

-Return to Top-

That will only change the name until you format it in the camera again, so it doesn't really help.

I tried changing the name while formatting in Disc-Utilities, but the camera changed it back to Untitled when I formated in-camera again. I think it is up to the camera to name the card when formatting, and Fuji probably never bothered to give it a more logical name. My Nikon D300s names the cards 'NIKON D300S' as a default.

I guess if you want to name the cards (and I see why you would want that) you have to format it on your mac, and not in-camera...

7. rabanne

rabanne New Member

-Return to Top-

Your answer has led me to study again the topic and now I can also confirm that I could avoid writing my previous post full of errors.
    I still have to learn a lot of things.
    Thank You

8. BasharAr

BasharAr Premium Member

-Return to Top-

its always best to format in camera not the mac, sometimes macs write hidden .ds files, it slows down the camera considerably, again, i fail to understand why not just writing Card 1, Card 2 on the physical cards....

lawsofphysics likes this.
  9. capturedbits

capturedbits New Member

-Return to Top-

Fragmentation occurs with SD cards, also. Here is something from the SD Association: "The memory of a card is divided into minimum memory units. The device writes data onto memory units where no data is already stored. As available memory becomes divided into smaller units through normal use, this leads to an increase in non-linear, or fragmented storage. The amount of fragmentation can reduce write speeds, so faster SD memory card speeds help compensate for fragmentation." http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed_class/

So whether a full erase leaves a card more fragmented than a format is unclear, but if the SD Association itself says that fragmentation can slow write speeds then I'm inclined to believe them and play it safe with a format before each shooting session. This has always been my habit with digital cameras and it's so fast and easy that I don't see a downside.

10. regedit

regedit Member

-Return to Top-

IMHO, fragmentation can occur when you do delete some files from card and leave other. But when you delete all files, all space is marked as free (of course it does not destroy the previous written information and in this way a recovery is possible - but neither format which is usually fast format do not blank spaces). When all space is marked as free camera card controller can write in blocks sequence.

My mistake from the previous post is that I should say you don't have any penalty from fragmentation (as you have on disk) neither in read or write mode as access to any block is direct (you don't need a reposition of your head to a certain track as for disks). But I can say for sure, if you just delete all the content from a disk you don't have any fragmentation issue at all.

@capturedbits hope to see my answer as a clarifying one not a conflictual one. best regards.

11. capturedbits

capturedbits New Member

-Return to Top-

@regedit: Right, makes sense.

Anyways, back on topic to card naming if one performs a format... I just checked one obvious possibility: the firmware image. No luck. It is unsurprisingly compressed and/or encrypted. There is no simple string of "Untitled" waiting to be edited and reflashed to the camera! :)

12. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Member

-Return to Top-

Fujifilm formatting erases the name of the card no matter how you have named it. I believe it is a Fujifilm firmware decision. The only workaround I have found is to erase the images. I have done this for over 2000 images without a fragmentation issue. Just erase all.

13. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Member

-Return to Top-

That defeats the whole purpose.

14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

According to the OP the whole purpose is to "to keep track of multiple cards". Writing the name on the card seems a very simple and effective technique. How would this defeat the purpose, thanks?

15. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Member

-Return to Top-

I keep track by placing 1,2,3, etc. dots on each card. Naming the card to correspond with the dots so it shows on your computer is the intended way. I never had a problem using the Nikon format, only Fujifilm. It is an error in the firmware IMHO. I do not expect Fujifilm to change it.

16. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry I don't follow. If you can't name the card electronically surely naming them physically, writing on the card, is simple enough. Even if you write 1, 2 or 3 etc rather than a name.

I call mine Bill and Pete. Bill for RAW, obviously, and Pete for JPGs, as he's more a JPG kind of guy.

17. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Member

-Return to Top-

That sounds like you are having fun. Good going.