This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Motorcycle Photos

Discussion in 'Photo Challenges and Assignments' started by pszilard, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

1930 BSA 500cc Sloper
    I have a mate who has almost finished restoring one.

Please login or register to view links

leoda1945, Sanemancured and CWRailman like this.
  2. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Heading north into the Mohawk River valley
    [​IMG]
    X100s

Micky, bcirwin, Westmill and 2 others like this.
  3. Richard_R

-Return to Top-

A road with corners, nice weather, a motorcycle, and a X100s. Can life get better?

Sanemancured, CWRailman and trainer like this.
  4. bcirwin

bcirwin Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Looks like you're really enjoying your new ride Trainer. My last bikes (1963) were a Norton 600 cc single from the fifties and an AJS 500 cc Spring twin. I lust after the new bikes but I am past my "ride before" date!

Sanemancured likes this.
  5. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes it's great to back on two wheels again. Last week I rode up through the Adirondacks on Rt. 30 almost to the Canadian border then back down home near Albany. It was a 444 mile round trip. I felt fine when I was done but a bit tired. Slept well that night. The ride up was great as the temperatures were perfect and there was little to no traffic and great scenery. I'm not sure right now when my expiration date is up. My previous bike was a hybrid sport/standard bike so I don't think I'll ever have as much a feeling of precise control with this cruiser style....or maybe I'm just older. Take care and happy shooting.

liggy, bcirwin, Sanemancured and 2 others like this.
  6. Sanemancured

Sanemancured Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There's a nice couple of those regularly running out around here. I remember when you couldn't give them away.

7. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

On the corner of Adams and Michigan Avenue in Chicago. Illinois, just across the street from the Art Institute, is a small sign on a lamp post indicating that it was the point at which Route 66, what became known as the “Mother Road” started. From that point, a determined traveler could drive all the way from Chicago, Illinois to the shores of the Pacific Ocean in California a total trip of 2448 miles. While the road was officially recognized as part of the US highway system in 1927, and did exist in some form, the entire road was not completely paved until 1938. Today, with the exception of some short pieces of abandoned road there is not much of the original road right of way still in existence. We are fortunate here in Arizona to have the longest continuous segment that is still in use. Getting off the I-40 freeway in Ash Fork and going through the towns of Seligman, Kingman and Oatman, you can ride/drive on Route 66 all the way to the point it rejoins I-40 near the California border approximately 265 miles. Every year there are numerous classic car and motorcycle cruises on this road. Along with over 1200 other classic car enthusiasts I made the trip five times in one of my mid fifties Chevys. I have also made the trip numerous times on two wheels though I prefer to do so when there are no major groups doing the ride.
    Seligman 2008 007.jpg

Angel Delgadillo's barber shop in Seligman. Angel is credited with starting the revival of the Route 66 craze in 1988 that attracts travelers from all over the world. During the car cruises this is where we checked in to get our credentials and "goodie" bags. The pavement you see on the extreme left of this image is Route 66 as it passes through town. You can Google this for additional information.
    Seligman 2008 045.jpg

While brother Angle was the Seligman town barber, Juan Delgadillo ran the Snow Cap Drive In. I have heard that another brother ran a grocery store in Seligman.
    Seligman 2008 009.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  8. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There was I believe a TV series called 77 Sunset Strip, with Efram Zimbalist Jnr and Ed Byrnes, which was set somewhere on Route 66!
    Sorry just me reminiscing. :D

Sanemancured likes this.
  9. daggy

daggy Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Most bikes today are far too big for my tastes, this however

DSCF7040.jpg

10. bcirwin

bcirwin Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The show was called "Route 66" and ran from 1960 until 1964. One of my favourites at the time.

CWRailman likes this.
  11. Sanemancured

Sanemancured Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I know that 77 Sunset Strip was a TV show that came on at my bedtime. I don't think it's related to Route 66 however. Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood evidently, allegedly just along from Dino's (Dean Martin's) Lounge. All the building have 4 digit numbers evidently so it's not a real address.....

Mike Gorman likes this.
  12. Mike Gorman

-Return to Top-

I also thought it was called Route 66, so I googled it and it turns out to be called 77 Sunset Strip! I reckon” you’ll get your kicks on Route 66” as the theme song stated! :D
    Ain’t nostalgia wonderful! 77 Sunst Strip was the office address of Mr Zimbalist who was a private eye

13. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes the show was called “Route 66” and stared Martin Milner and George Maharis (later Glen Corbett) who traveled around in a early 1960's Chevy Corvette. That show is one of the reasons I have been a Corvette fan ( have owned four of them, five if you count the go-cart that had a fiberglass body replica of the 1958 Corvette) most of my life. Martin Milner made several appearances at out Route 66 cruises and I spoke with him several times during those events. Somewhere I have his autograph on one of the programs from those events. The lower photo was taken with a small pocket camera and shows the 1956 Corvette that is usually on display at the Hackberry General Store on Route 66.
    Route 66 2008 022.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    aKilter, trainer and bcirwin like this.
  14. Schellens Jozef

Schellens Jozef Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

15. Mike Gorman

-Return to Top-

Obviously I was thinking of 77 Sunset Strip, Route 66 stirs a vague memory though!

Sanemancured likes this.
  16. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My former lady friend Carol Ann is sitting on a 1999 Kawasaki Drifter that we got for her after she passed her motorcycle training course. After living here in Arizona for nearly 12 years, in 2005, she moved back to her home state of Illinois to be with her kids who were starting to get out on their own, getting married and having their own families. We had purchased the bike used with about 1500 miles on it and after two years sold it with around 3800 so she really had not ridden it much. In fact this was probably the longest trip she made on the bike which was about 65 miles round trip. Amongst the goodies I installed for her were the engine guards, (she dropped the bike at least four times but the guards and collapsible foot boards kept it from going completely over), the single seat saddle, headlight bar and two extra lights, whitewall tires, and after this photo was taken, the Indian head on the front fender which completed the look of a Indian motorcycle. Those white wall tires, especially the rear one was a real pain to keep clean.
    CA Drifter at Saguaro5-2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018 at 8:20 AM
    Sanemancured likes this.
  17. Richard_R

-Return to Top-

Road hazards riding the long paddock (Please login or register to view links)

Please login or register to view links

18. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Posting this minus motorcycles only to tell the story. Sharon and I had been at the Biker bar called the “Hideaway” in Cave Creek, Arizona. This can at times be a rough place but we stopped in to visit friends Jacque and Mike so we were there that Sunday afternoon. Sharon had just mentioned her grandson when she looked over and saw him and four of his motorcycle buddies coming in through the crowd. She decided to go say hello and I turned to Jacque and said this is going to be good! Dude takes his friends to biker bar and meets Grandma. Sounds like a Country and Western song. Anyway, Jacque who is well known among the people who frequent this place, decided to see what was going to happen so she rushed trough the crowd and observed the greeting. I did not have a camera in hand but took these images with my cell phone. Grandson Dalton is on the right, Sharon and Jacque who is wearing a bandana. I thought that Dalton would be embarrassed by meeting “Grandma” but we were surprised when he posted this photo to his facebook page and not only acknowledged her existence but seemed proud that he had seen her there. Dalton and all his four buddies are all ex military from different branches of the service. Now they ride together. I’ve posted many photos of Sharon but Please login or register to view links.

WP_20180318_008.jpg

WP_20180318_006.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018 at 6:15 PM
    bcirwin, Sanemancured and Westmill like this.
  19. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A *very* classy motorcycle.

20. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you can post a "finished" picture, that would be great.