This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Monthly Photo a Day Challenge

Discussion in 'Photo Challenges and Assignments' started by amseaman, Nov 13, 2017 at 1:26 AM.

1. amseaman

amseaman New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello everyone. I'm a new FujiFilm X user. I just made the switch after being a loyal Pentax photographer for years. PentaxForums has a great community of photographers, and I'm so happy there is a Fuji forum, too. One of my favorite challenges on the forums was their "single a day" challenge in which you choose one lens for an entire month and post one picture to the group every day. Most people would embed a picture that could be clicked through to Flickr for people to comment on, praise, and give suggestions about. It was great place to get glimpses into people's lives from all around the world.

Would there be a group of people interested in doing this with me? Has there been attempts to do something similar?

So how it would work:
    1) Choose a lens to use for an entire month on your Fujifilm camera.
    2) Embed a picture taken only from that day using your lens (and Fujifilm camera).
    3) Include the lens type in each post, with perhaps a short caption.
    4) Try to click and comment on as many pictures you can that get posted.
    5) Be encouraging and complementary of people's photos, giving constructive suggestions from time to time.

So, for example:

This is my dog Missy sitting on our couch in the morning sun. (XF 18-55 F2.8-4)
    Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

2. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

If you look through the Photo Challenges and Assignments section of the site you will see that there are all sorts of Challenges some of which run for short periods and others more or less permanently.

3. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome to the wonderful world of Fuji, amseaman
    If there are no current challenges exactly like what you describe, I see no reason why you couldn’t start one. Like you, I love getting glimpses of daily life from different parts of the world.

4. mugmedia

mugmedia Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Earlier this year (in May I think) there were a couple one-lens challenges that ran for a week each. There were times it was difficult for everyone to post a photo from a certain lens every day, so as I recall, if someone couldn't post on a certain day, they would post two or whatever as soon as they could get on here to do it. I remember posting a couple of mine at a few minutes to midnight just to make the deadline. ;) Over an entire month, the daily requirement might get a bit out of control, but nevertheless, I'm sure the challenge would present a lot of interesting stuff. Or, of course, we could try the week-long run again and see what happens!

amseaman likes this.
  5. amseaman

amseaman New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks mugmedia, yeah, maybe baby steps would be good. Get some people who could try it out for smaller chunks of time and see how they like it. It can be a challenge to get a picture each day for sure.

Having it in one long thread is hard because everything gets posted in the same place over multiple days. It would be awesome to be able to have a folder for this sort of challenge and then each day have it's own thread. So if we were to start it for December, it would be ideal to have a folder for this challenge, maybe "Daily Photo Challenge" and then we could post a thread for each day inside of the folder or "group" (I'm unsure of the terminology).

Daily Photo Challenge
    ----> December 1st
    Each of us posts our December 1st pictures with the embed to click through and comment on a site like Flickr. (using the BB code)
    ----> December 2nd
    Each of us posts our December 2nd pictures

If we didn't get to post it right away, you could go back to that date and post it later for others to see.

Otherwise we could just try it in one messy thread and see how that works too, but I think the cleaner more organized way would lend itself to more people participating.

Thoughts?